My first video... longish distance... close-ish call!

Oh, and by the way, the P3A is a killer bird. Kinda regret upgrading. It was so reliable. Nothing but firmware issues with P4

Yeah - it is pretty awesome. I've only ever used it once since upgrading from a P3S. Was hoping to use it this weekend but the winds were +35kmph at 100meters! Probably much worse if I went up higher.
I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware for the P3A. I'm on 1.8.80 and am a bit anxious to update to 1.9.60 - especially as the drone appears to work fine as is! Firmware upgrades are always so touch and go.

Yeah, I chose that section of the beach because it's quiet. I always make time to answer people's questions, try to help the drone community's reputation, but when you're making a beeline that far out, the last thing you need is "So how far can that thing go?" or "My cousin has one of those". The wind really didn't seem that bad on the ground. Sport mode certainly help me cut through it, but I'm now wondering if I'd have made it back at 18mph in GPS mode (using a lot less battery on the way).

What I really want to do is make it to the Isle of White. Think I'll need some mods first :)

View attachment 67592
Looking at you map..I think it may make it...one way that is, you may need someone over on the Isle of White to meet the bird!

It's a Windows-based program called Dashware, which uses the data files generated by your drone. Takes a little while to get your head around it, but can do some awesome stuff. There are WAY more knowledgeable people on this forum when it comes to using it though. Go forth and search :)

Great clip! Shame modern drones doesn't record natural sound anymore - like in this fantastic chase clip!

BTW: Would have been great to watch the whole drama at normal speed (uncut and so)...

Dashware is great - used it in many clips

Looking at you map..I think it may make it...one way that is, you may need someone over on the Isle of White to meet the bird!
Ha yes, I've thought the same thing, but there is nobody I trust enough to guide me in on the other side! And if I lost signal and it attempted RTH, it may get caught in noman's sea! Perhaps I could get my wife to take it over there, plonk it down and if I can pick up a signal, fly home...

If there is a cliff edge, somewhere close to the shore with decent elevation, I might be able to lock onto the signal. Hmmm...

Great video!

What sort of firmware issues have you run into? Besides those, are you happier with the P4?

Great video!

What sort of firmware issues have you run into? Besides those, are you happier with the P4?
Thanks. To be honest, with the turning of the seasons, I haven't spent enough time in the air to give a full answer. I bought second hand, which I think is always going to throw up concerns. "Have I bought a dud??" At first, I had issues with landing. The motors would rev up and I'd skip along the ground. Then after re-calibrating a dozen times, the issue seemed to happen on take-off too!! I'd push the throttle up and attempt to hover 4ft off the ground and begin bouncing up and down, with the gear actually touching the ground. About two weeks after I bought it, DJI released a new version of Assistant with different calibration procedures and since then, it's been fine. I'd still say its more fragile at takeoffs and landings. The P3A, I just plonked it down - on hills, sand, whatever. The P4 requires more thought and finesse and I've started hand catching as a result. Think it may be a quirk of my machine, but it's managable.

Haven't used the new features enough (obstacle avoidance, tracking etc.) to know how well they work.

Once in the air, it is a rock solid beast, and worth every penny. Hope that helps.

Yeah - thats why I love this chase - uncut - natural sound (with the P4 not possible), etc

I thought that was actually possible within the settings, although I've never looked. Frankly, that sound terrifies the **** out of me. Of course, it's only the motors doing what they do, but to the untrained ear, it sounds like everything is about to come falling out of the sky. I think I'd rather exist in a blissful ignorance, where gimbals and lack of microphones let me believe that I am not flying at the edge, battling the forces of nature. Peace and tranquillity for me.

I thought that was actually possible within the settings, although I've never looked. Frankly, that sound terrifies the **** out of me. Of course, it's only the motors doing what they do, but to the untrained ear, it sounds like everything is about to come falling out of the sky. I think I'd rather exist in a blissful ignorance, where gimbals and lack of microphones let me believe that I am not flying at the edge, battling the forces of nature. Peace and tranquillity for me.

:) So the silent movie mode of the new drone generation is great to sort of calm the pilot down ;) But great drama and great music choice in your clip! And it's your first one - looking forward to your next ;)

The two most exiting flights I had so far (no big deal compared to your clip)

:) So the silent movie mode of the new drone generation is great to sort of calm the pilot down ;) But great drama and great music choice in your clip! And it's your first one - looking forward to your next ;)

The two most exiting flights I had so far (no big deal compared to your clip)

Ah man, the queen mary - totally should have tried to orbit that beast or done some low fly overs, say hello to the passengers ;)

Yeah, I feel my first video may result in an anti-climactic second and third. Going to focus on some nice low shots, and good quality video before I go long range again I think.

My biggest fear is not how far I can go, but how low I can go, even with LOS

Ah man, the queen mary - totally should have tried to orbit that beast or done some low fly overs, say hello to the passengers ;)

Yeah, I feel my first video may result in an anti-climactic second and third. Going to focus on some nice low shots, and good quality video before I go long range again I think.

My biggest fear is not how far I can go, but how low I can go, even with LOS

Yeah, this is hard to top :D So go for a nice easy clip next time - I just finished editing my summer clip from the elbe...

BTW: What's LOS?

I made it back with 22% but i feel you on getting worried.lol awsome video[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] P3A

Sent from my SM-N920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Attachments

• 1477633371545.png
    1477633371545.png
    369.4 KB · Views: 291
Flying out to an old fort, with a bit of wind on the way home! My heart was in my mouth. Still is two days later in fact. Here's my first video and my first dabble with dashware

Good times :)
Very nice flight. Brave man.
I never fly with the wind on any distance flight. I fly into it and then I enjoy the tailwind back home :)

Great video - not often you get sucked into the drama as it unfolds. I would maybe have gone down a bit further (say 100'?) to negate the wind a bit more - always difficult to judge once up there and the sea tends to get breezy (!) anyway. Flying around Portsmouth would be great but I've always worried I'll get shot down by a Type 42 destroyer coming back 'home'. Maybe you'll find another Mary-Rose sat on the bottom!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20