My First Upset Encounter

Reaction score
Really not much of an encounter but I wanted to share. I was flying at a park that I normally fly at. Its a long park next to a small river (creek). It has a walking path around it that goes for miles. It also has about 10 5 story work buildings next to it as well as houses that flank the opposite side. I'll post a photo. So I just got done flying over the park area, making a video on waypoints. I'm around 50% battery so I figure I'll fly and follow the river to get some personal flying time in. I'm at 175' and following the river for about 1/4 mile. I come back and as I'm coming down, a man is walking up to me with 2 dogs. Here is the conversation:

Me: Hello!
Him: Would you please not fly over the deer, you are spooking them.
Me: I was at 200 feet.
Him: I saw where you were.
Me: I did not see any deer.
Him: You were spooking them.

At this point I figure he's just giving me a hard time about flying, period. While there are deer in the area, it's a populated location with 5 story office buildings on one side and house on another. It's flanked on all sides by busy roads. I'm _sure_ the deer could care less about my drone. I don't take the high road... which I should have.

Me: Where are the deer.
Him: (he turns away a little in disgust). Just don't fly near them
Me: How can I not fly near them if I don't know where they are?
Me: If you won't tell me where they are, I don't think I'm going to be able to avoid them.
Him: He walks away.
Me: have a good day.
Him: You too.

Here is a photo of that particular run:
upload_2015-9-13_2-15-13.png

Here is a photo of the surrounding area:

upload_2015-9-13_16-45-11.png

To the right is a small river/creek and some woodlands that are about 800m wide or so. Past that are some more office buildings. I just don't see deer in this area getting "spooked".

It's the following day and I'm just finishing this post. At this time I really wish I would have responded better. I should have said something like, "I'll do my best" or "I'll fly higher as not to cause an issue". I think I was a little predisposed to be offended and a little on the defense. There was simply no reason not to just say something to appease this person and then just do what ever.

Some people are going to be offended just because they like being offended. Frankly, the deer were probably much more concerned with his dogs than some buzzing thing up in the sky. They things that eat deer are all four, or two legged, ground animals, so deer don't pay much attention to things that fly.

Well I often fly over sheep, horses, cows and deer. They really aren't bothered at all. In fact I have seen fast jets at very low level and chinook helicopters and again the animals don't seem bothered. Sometimes I dog sit 2 Jack Russells - now they DO scare the animals big time! Quite why a big horse is scared of such a tiny dog is beyond me.
Even cars and motorbikes don't scare sheep - the horn is useless. Maybe a barking dog type horn???

There are a gazillion prairie dogs at the park where I fly. They aren't bothered at all by my flying, even down to 20 feet over them. But I normally stay at 396' feet when not landing or taking off. Less chance of complaints while up there. I've had 3 good encounters so far, and 0 negative ones. How I act will depend on how the complainer acts.............. I'm a reasonable guy.

Was your VPS on? I have read legitimate concerns of VPS agitating wildlife.

Other than that I would've given him the bird, and I don't mean the one in the sky O:)

Reactions: Ari and reboot81
I gotta say, they do look startled...

upload_2015-9-13_2-15-13.jpg

Sooner or later we will have this...

122533_600.jpeg

Seriously though, it is against the law to purposely hassle wildlife in many states.
Just to be clear, I do not believe the OP was purposely harassing wildlife,
I am just stating some information.

Well I often fly over sheep, horses, cows and deer. They really aren't bothered at all. In fact I have seen fast jets at very low level and chinook helicopters and again the animals don't seem bothered. Sometimes I dog sit 2 Jack Russells - now they DO scare the animals big time! Quite why a big horse is scared of such a tiny dog is beyond me.
Even cars and motorbikes don't scare sheep - the horn is useless. Maybe a barking dog type horn???

My Border Collie is afraid of the X5C and little Nano. But outside with the P3, even with VPS on, she is okay. Took some cool vid of her playing ball with my GF from about 50' up.

Thanks for informing me I really Appreciate that I'll take care of it right now. Thank you again...
Have a great day sir... Nice dogs (short and sweet, hey if you are in the area again and you crash? and he is around next time he mite tell you were it landed? ) :)

My Dad use to say ... You catch more flies with honey than vinegar..

Last edited:
But... how will you "take care of it right now"? I mean.. if the person is just sitting there watching you... do you just leave your bird up there in the air and walk away? Hell no. I'm all for opening doors for old ladies and the such... but for the "people who just like to be offended" (had to quote MPD352 here, thanks) I will not oblige and will kindly ignore them. I hope people here don't lay over so easily. We aren't shooting birds or babies here.

Reactions: S5S5G6
I had a angry granny the other week ranting at me saying she was going to put a brick through my drone if i didnt clear off, she thought i was taking pictures of her and her friends outside thier beech hut when i was no where near them i was actually filming some birds(feathered variety) on the rock pools. Im just glad she didnt have 2 dogs with her or I think she would of set them on me, unfortunately our hobby does get some bad press and for every admirer there are becoming an angry and annoyed public!!

Even at 100' feet I don't think much wildlife living in and around a populas area like that would be spooked. The smell of the guys 2 dogs are more likely to scare the deer off.

Thanks for informing me I really Appreciate that I'll take care of it right now. Thank you again...
Have a great day sir... Nice dogs (short and sweet, hey if you are in the area again and you crash? and he is around next time he mite tell you were it landed? ) :)

My Dad use to say ... You catch more flies with honey than vinegar..

Being nice only works on people capable of being nice in return.
You gotta know when to use honey and when to use a hammer.
I seriously doubt THAT particular person would help you locate your drone regardless of how much "honey" you use. More likely he'd smash, dispose of it or take it himself.

I fly within feet of my deer the most they do is walk away to get out from under it. Apologies for making such a face, I was squinting trying to see the shutter release.

Only negative reaction I've received was at a party where the host invited me to fly. My wife was sitting with a group who noticed my drone. They immediately started with the negative BS about privacy, etc. The wife listened a little, then told them, that's my husband & the host asked him to bring his drone & take pictures. Most got out of their chairs to find someplace to hide.

Attachments

• 1442234629516.jpg
    1442234629516.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 449
Reactions: acherman
Lol! That was great! You know that dog has done that before by the tone of the owners voice.
Bad dog [emoji1]

Reminds of this priceless video of Fenton the Labrador in a London park.

And I bet those deer were back in that area within the month... I don't believe a dog or a quadcopter will change their grazing habits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues