My First Phantom 2 Vision+

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My 5th drone is due to arrive tomorrow, a Phantom 2 Vision+ form Dave's Motors. Here's the deal, this drone costs way more than all of the others combined! Given that this is a very complicated craft, do you guys (and gals) have any words of wisdom on how to verify that all of the basic things are installed and functioning properly, like the props, the motors are wired correctly, things like that. I was thinking of tying her down to a bench for the initial checkout, i.e. does she pitch forward when I move the right stick forward, etc. Is this overkill? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your input!!!

It will pitch forward according to how much you push the right control. It's very controllable.
I've also had several other less eXpensive drones and the Phantoms are by far the easiest to control.

Take your time. Make sure you calibrate the compass correctly. If it fails calibration redo it and verify your home point is locked.
Big open field is best with no nearby power lines cell towers large metal structures etc..

Place on flat ground start the motors and push left stick all the way forward until you're off the ground 10 to 20 feet.

Practice forward and backwards movements using the right stick. Then left to right.

Hope this helps.
Take your time is important.
I have the Vision and the Vision+ and no flyaway and no crashes yet.

I do take my time and I do not fly much below a 30% battery level. ( I will head home on 30)

I've flown in 20mph winds with no issue, it draws the battery down quicker but it stays controllable and compensates for the wind very well.
Unlike my Parrot which would go to the next county in high wind. :-/

Good luck

and have fun

Read the users manual very closely, a couple of times. Also included in the box is a Pilot's Training Guide, which is good to go through, although if you have already flown quads, may not be necessary. Only additional suggestions: "Forget" your home wifi connection to your iPhone. Make the wifi connection to the Phantom. Make sure the rear lights are flashing green, not red and green. You gotta have at least 6 (better 8+) satellites for reliable control. Always begin by simultaneously moving the left stick to the lower right and the right stick to the lower left. That starts the motors running at an idle speed. Then take off by pushing the left stick forward.
Rather than doing a bench test, which won't test GPS, compass, etc. Begin by hovering for a minute at 10 feet or so. If things aren't working correctly, there's time to identify. Most likely things to go wrong are GPS and iPhone wifi connection.
Good luck,and have fun!!!

I'd encourage you to have someone come with you so they can catch the drone by the skids and you can shut it off instead of a ground landing. The ONLY accidents I have had have been landing on the ground, the Phantom easily tips over. I only land it now with someone catching it by the skids.

Read read read - use some eye drops and then read some more.

I felt the same way when mine was on the way to my house so I read everything I could. I had one uncontrolled descent problem before the 3.02 firmware update but other than that, I've had nothing but piles of fun. Love this thing...

Bateman233 said:
I'd encourage you to have someone come with you so they can catch the drone by the skids and you can shut it off instead of a ground landing. The ONLY accidents I have had have been landing on the ground, the Phantom easily tips over. I only land it now with someone catching it by the skids.
Can't you do the motor shutdown when it is like 20cm above ground?

To shut off motors hold left stick down for about 3 seconds and motors will shut down. Don't put both sticks to middle and down or Phantom will tip before shutting down. You can hand catch it and shut it down holding left stick down, it will sense it is not losing altitude and it will shut off. If it is still flying it will not shut off using either method (left stick down or both sticks to center and down). You might find it easier to land on ground for the first few flights until you get familiar with how it flies. Later you can hold transmitter in left hand with thumb on the left stick and catch Phantom with your right hand if landing area is too dusty or uneven ground, it is very easy to do this alone.

Is there anywhere to get the manual prior to purchase? I haven't ordered one yet (waiting for demand and firmware to settle) but would love to start reading.

AHill said:
To shut off motors hold left stick down for about 3 seconds and motors will shut down. Don't put both sticks to middle and down or Phantom will tip before shutting down. You can hand catch it and shut it down holding left stick down, it will sense it is not losing altitude and it will shut off. If it is still flying it will not shut off using either method (left stick down or both sticks to center and down). You might find it easier to land on ground for the first few flights until you get familiar with how it flies. Later you can hold transmitter in left hand with thumb on the left stick and catch Phantom with your right hand if landing area is too dusty or uneven ground, it is very easy to do this alone.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

For those who change from "phantom" to "NAZA" mode: Take CAREFUL note of the additional ways an accidental CSC can occur during mid flight. DJI doesnt warn of this in their Phantom manual nor is it warned explicitly during the change from Phantom to Naza. If a CSC is executed mid flight the Phantom will immediately go over bellyside up and if you do not have enough altitude combined with quick response, it will not have time to recover and stabilize and it WILL crash into the ground. Just a word to the wise

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxS3_KLng_s

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... Stop_Motor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20