My first job, AMA and more

Reaction score
So as it gets out I have a copter I am getting some work. This picture was taken with the F550 for the local paper. A Japanese plant has bought the place and plans are to build a plant that makes car parts here. The editor wanted pictures but it's gated off and no access. I checked Google Earth for a launch site. A fishing pond just to the right of this. I was maybe 300 yards away and behind a tree line when I took this. I did pick up AMA insurance first. It's 50% off right now if anyone needs it.
I also am going to video a ranch for charity next week. The place is up for sale and someone is wanting to convert it to a retreat for disabled kids. My video and stills will be used to try and raise money.
Also the GoPro pictures wasn't large enough so I downloaded a free trial of Alien Skin Blow Up 3 that re sized the files larger. It works very well.
Because of the stigmal that has been going around about the word "drone" I tell people I have a copter instead. So far everyone has been receptive in my area and more curious than mad.

Old Florida Tile Site by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

Good deal. It is nice to find a way to help defray the cost of these things. It is my understanding that AMA won't cover you in commercial ventures but it is nice to be able to tell people that "Yes, I have insurance."

I was under the impression that using drones for commercial use was prohibited in the US. Is this not the case?

I think Lots of People are Not aware of the Current Laws (on Drones).

If use goes rampant are "they" going to be able to Prosecute everyone? I think Not but being made an Example would not be good. There's already a bunch of Realtors using them and I've heard of Weddings. I personally think the Law should be changed. Technically what we own are (expensive) Toys.

I have worked for one of the Largest Japanese companies and all their property was a "Foreign Trade Zone". I'd bet the laws would be very different if the area was an FTZ... Good or Bad.

Once again, there are NO laws restricting the use of drones, commercially or privately.
The FAA is only being a bully when trying to enforce a law that does not exist.
Two court cases have come to bat and both times the FAA has struck out.

Catalina36 said:
Good deal. It is nice to find a way to help defray the cost of these things. It is my understanding that AMA won't cover you in commercial ventures but it is nice to be able to tell people that "Yes, I have insurance."

You can say that, but it is not true. AMA absolutely does not cover you when flying commercially. So implying that you are insured because you have AMA is a lie.

Under the law, you cannot take photos with your drone and get paid for it. Some people think the loophole is "well, I'm not getting paid for taking the picture, I'm getting paid for processing the picture afterwards". How well that would hold up in a court of law, I don't know. I would just highly recommend you not tell too many people and you should be OK. I took a pictures of a farmers damaged crops, and it would have been illegal for him to even reimburse me for the gas it took to drive there to take the pictures. Strange days indeed.

JWarren said:
Under the law, you cannot take photos with your drone and get paid for it. Some people think the loophole is "well, I'm not getting paid for taking the picture, I'm getting paid for processing the picture afterwards". How well that would hold up in a court of law, I don't know. I would just highly recommend you not tell too many people and you should be OK. I took a pictures of a farmers damaged crops, and it would have been illegal for him to even reimburse me for the gas it took to drive there to take the pictures. Strange days indeed.

I don't want to Hijack the OPs thread but in Texas we can now. PM me if you want details.

There's a LOT of confusion.
There are no real LAWs concerning commercial drones (or flying drones in general)... but the FAA HAS issued RULEs and GUIDELINEs, which they CAN use to try to fine pilots. Some pilots have been successful in beating the fines

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/commer ... udge-ruled

Some have not (a series of drone pilot schools have been shut down - in Florida and Georgia, if memory serves - and, of course, the FAA seems to have an odd fetish for going after all the realtors across the country that are trying to use drones to take footage of their properties).

BUT... whether or not the rules have a legal leg to stand on, until it all gets sorted out, it's still very expensive to fight, and the FAA would rarely get stuck paying your court costs even if you win.

So I suppose it's up to the individual pilot to decide if it's worth the risk.

The rules you do need to worry about when flying commercially in the US:

1. Fly SAFE and SMART
2. Carry actual commercial UAV liability insurance w/minimum $1M limit.
3. Fly SAFE and SMART
4. Make a conscious effort to stay off the FAA's radar (see what I did there?)
5. Fly SAFE and SMART

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1