My first HDR sunset shot

Reaction score
I'm excited, I've been shooting some video and getting into that slowly, but this is my fist sunset shot in manual mode, raw, multiple exposure, and Adobe Lightroom to combine using HDR. Pretty lame compared to many but I'm proud of it.

Cheers, Eric

Attachments

• DJI_0062-HDR.jpg
    DJI_0062-HDR.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 512
.... HDR overbaked can look like radioactive cat vomit -or- it can look like this. Very nicely shot and presented. Now you have a difficult choice, vid or stills..

I'm excited, I've been shooting some video and getting into that slowly, but this is my fist sunset shot in manual mode, raw, multiple exposure, and Adobe Lightroom to combine using HDR. Pretty lame compared to many but I'm proud of it.

Cheers, Eric

Thats a nice shot man!! What city is that over yonder?

Cheers, Eric

Well done on all accounts, and is the exact same work flow I enjoy. You should be proud, you did good.

I have a done a search on this forum and have not been able to get the answer to my question.
Yesterday afternoon was a sunny day where I live, decided to take out the P3P to fly for a bit and started to shoot video while I was flying. The video came out very dark, I was shoot in AWB - MOV - 4K - Vivid.

My question is what should the setting be in a sunny, bright day for video to look normal?.
I also have filters but I am not having good luck with them, when I put them on I still get dark video and pictures.

I am shooting in Auto. However this raises 2 questions, should I switch to Manual? and if I were to switch to manual will this apply to video?.

I know I am doing something wrong bc I get about the same results with the 2 birds I have, the P3P and the X-Star..

I just found this online, i guess it is a good starting point.

Attachments

• Filters.JPG
    Filters.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 361
ND4/PL Filter (5.67g): This filter reduces the cameras shutter speed by 2 f-stops and polarizes light. We use this filter most often when filming at dusk or dawn, or on cloudy days.

ND8/PL Filter (5.6g): The ND8/PL for the Phantom 4 will reduce the cameras shutter speed by 3 f-stops which makes this the perfect filter for partly cloudy days. The built in polarizer reduces glare and increases color saturation.

ND16/PL Filter (5.6g): This is our go to filter when it is sunny out. It reduces the shutter speed by 4 stops and polarizes the scene for capturing vivid colors even on bright sunny days.

The Following guideline is a good starting point for when to use each filter while filming with your Inspire 1, Phantom 3, or Solo. The goal of this chart is to reduce the camera’s shutter speed to 1/60th to give areal videos a smooth cinematic look, rather than a choppy high shutter speed look. A popular way of filming areal video is to have your shutter speed at double the frame rate. So if you are shooting 1080/60, then you want to try to achieve a 1/120th shutter speed. Or if filming 4K/30 or 24 you will want to be near 1/60th shutter speed.

That is correct, you are on the correct path. This is what I did/do.... Play with all the settings in manual mode then evaluate the results (record your settings for each and start a new video for each). When trying different settings, try and perform the same exact flight path, with the same available light each time.

Sprinkle all your manual tries with some learning about Frame Rate, ISO, Aperture,Shutter Speed, etc..; asking the question why. Why didn't this work or why did this work..

I shoot in dlog with all neutral settings, then fix up in post.

Thanks..

I need to stay on top of it, we are going to go on vacation to Costa Rica and need to practice more. One of the birds is coming with us, still trying to decide which one, for now I am leaning towards the Pumpkin Spice, we will see. I do not want to contaminate this thread with that.

Does aeb x 3 combined in Lightroom give it the nice HDR effect I can see in the sky?

I've been finding it difficult to obtain this look. Looks great mate.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20