My first Hand-Catch

You may also consider bringing the quad in backwards, catching with your right hand, just above the compass. That way your thumb is right by the power button to turn the Phantom off first...then power down the other pieces in which ever order you prefer. It's really quite safe and easy. Let it hover just in above and in front of you, and walk under it, grab it.

I always hand catch. Here's a video of how I do it. (sorry about the opening plug for my website)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCUGcEj5Z8[/youtube]
PS-the thinning hair is not from getting caught in the props :D

The 2nd flight and landing for me was also hand caught. On the side of tippings, wouldn't it be great if we could hand release.

tmc6663 said:
You may also consider bringing the quad in backwards, catching with your right hand, just above the compass. That way your thumb is right by the power button to turn the Phantom off first...then power down the other pieces in which ever order you prefer. It's really quite safe and easy. Let it hover just in above and in front of you, and walk under it, grab it.

Yep. makes sense

In over 50 flights I've never had a hard landing, lost prop or damage of any kind. I think landing is a big part of flying, but hey, to each their own.

JWarren said:
In over 50 flights I've never had a hard landing, lost prop or damage of any kind. I think landing is a big part of flying, but hey, to each their own.
I understand you J. I have been practicing landing ever since my first landing/topple, and I've gotten pretty good at it, but I wanted to try a hand-catch.

Its a great tool to have in the ole' tool box.

But nothing beats the execution of a buttery smooth landing.

Gotta love it!

I hand catch every time now. I take off from my backpack, but my place is all grass and I feel like a dog turning around in circles looking for a safe place to land.

I probably hand-catch 80% of the time. If it's a paved area and no wind, I'll land it, probably. To hand-catch, I have it face me, slightly higher than I am, use my right hand to grab it by it's left front leg, thumb on the word Phantom, forefinger on the vent slots, left forefinger pressing down on the left stick. It's just a few seconds and you're done. Way easier and more control than landing.

Brettly said:
The 2nd flight and landing for me was also hand caught. On the side of tippings, wouldn't it be great if we could hand release.
Check YouTube. There's video of some guy that does both takeoffs and landings by hand.

I started hand catching after about my second or third flight.

I quickly learned landing was the highest risk maneuver. Takeoff is fairly easy if you just don't try to baby it. I takeoff from the lid of an old soap bucket.....give it lots of gas and pop into the air. Flying is straight forward, but landing is a crapshoot. Much easier to just grab it.

The best is to have a friend grab it with both hands, but that's not always possible.

JWarren said:

I usually fly in an area with sand or large uneven rocks. I can usually find a flat spot to take off from, but landing would be risky.

If I was always flying in a grass field, I would probably land it rather than hand catch since hand catching could be perceived as being a dangerous and unnecessary risk.

I sure could see a use for hand catching instead of landing in sand or fine dirt that might get inside the Phantom. Good point.

i've hand catch'd once, when it decided to auto-home because the battery was low but decided its home was the bonnet of a car at the meet i was filming so stepped it grab it lol. I've got the taller legs to give some gimbal clearance

slothead said:
Werz said:
MacBookProAR said:
You can just hold down on the left stick for a few seconds and it does the same thing. Much easier.
+1

You will hear the motors idle down, and a couple of seconds later, they will shut off.
But doesn't the phantom have to be entirely table (like it is on the ground) before they will shut off? I could have been overly anxious.

If you hold it still for a few seconds it will power off. Doesn't take long and you can easily hold it still enough that it stops the motors due to not sensing any descent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1