My first Hand-Catch

Reaction score
And here it is! I'm such an ugly puss, but it's the bright sun that that did it (I was squinting because it was so bright), and I was just a bit nervous.

Hand-catch-3_zpsa1b6855a.jpg

I highly recommend it. My first hand-catch was my second flight. It has never gone to the ground unassisted since then.

Werz said:
I highly recommend it. My first hand-catch was my second flight. It has never gone to the ground unassisted since then.

+1 In years to come it's how all the kids on the street will do it.. :cool:

Agreed. Hand catches are the only way to safely land a P2.

Especially with the new auto cut off of the motors.
Done it a few times and its more save then landing on the ground.
Its handy when you run low on battery.

I thought it was a little awkward since the phantom wants to continue flying (there was enough wobble in gripping one side of the gear to let it think it was still airborne) and still trying to hold the controller to get it turned off. I ended up curling my left index finger around both joysticks and pulling them to the command position.

slothead said:
I thought it was a little awkward since the phantom wants to continue flying (there was enough wobble in gripping one side of the gear to let it think it was still airborne) and still trying to hold the controller to get it turned off. I ended up curling my left index finger around both joysticks and pulling them to the command position.

You can just hold down on the left stick for a few seconds and it does the same thing. Much easier.

MacBookProAR said:
slothead said:
You can just hold down on the left stick for a few seconds and it does the same thing. Much easier.
+1

You will hear the motors idle down, and a couple of seconds later, they will shut off.

Werz said:
MacBookProAR said:
slothead said:
+1

You will hear the motors idle down, and a couple of seconds later, they will shut off.
But doesn't the phantom have to be entirely table (like it is on the ground) before they will shut off? I could have been overly anxious.

So you grabbed it by a front leg I see. Is that the accepted method? I have yet to grab mine after 60+ flights. I am such a chicken ****. All right. Tonight's the night. If an old fart like slothead can do it, I surely can.

BlackTracer said:
So you grabbed it by a front leg I see. Is that the accepted method? I have yet to grab mine after 60+ flights. I am such a chicken ****. All right. Tonight's the night. If an old fart like slothead can do it, I surely can.
Well maybe you want to find yourself a very heavy leather glove... :lol:

slothead said:
But doesn't the phantom have to be entirely table (like it is on the ground) before they will shut off? I could have been overly anxious.
Nope. As long as it senses that the throttle is at minimum, and it is not descending any further, it will shut the motors off.

That will take several seconds, and if you are shy about the spinning propellers, I can see that it would worry you. But it works just fine. I was using prop guards when I started hand-catching it, so I was less worried about getting whacked by the props. By the time I removed the prop guards, I had done it at least a dozen times, so I really wasn't concerned about it. Well, maybe a wee bit. ;)

BlackTracer said:

Yeah, just grab it by either landing gear, hold the throttle down until the motors turn off (3 seconds) and gently lower it to prevent from damaging the gimbal.
____

The P2V+ definitely does not need to level (or "table" as the other poster put it) in order to shut off the motors.

I've had the motors fire up when I grab a leg and tilt the Phantom at an angle but they still turn off after 3 seconds.

Yes Slothead even if it's not 100% stable and level, the motors will shut off after holding the stick down for 3-5 seconds. I did the exact same thing as you on my first hand catch. Now that's all I do.

No doubt hand catching is better. It is a little sketchy the first time or two, as the look on my son's face shows.

Attachments

• Smaller Matt Hand Catch.jpg
    Smaller Matt Hand Catch.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 360
I marked the grab leg with green Velcro strap. It reminds me to grab leg that has no antennas or compass located on it. Just a little preventative procedure.

on my first flight i had a bad landing (landed on grass, quad rotated and ended legs up :()
on my second flight (10 minutes later) y hand catched and wasnt as difficult as i thought it would be.

great idea t mark the "grab leg" :)

slothead said:

You should just hold down the left as I tried both before to kill engines and it stopped then started motors to surge since same command for starting engines. For hand grab always pull down left stick only to avoid accident.

I have hand caught 100% of my flights, yeah all 2 of them :)
Hover at 5 to 6ft and walk up to it and grab a leg, throttle down with the other hand and its all over in seconds.
Watched lots of videos of hard landings and tipping over so thought why not take the easy route and just catch it....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20