My first flyaway!

Reaction score
So, I spent the afternoon getting video of the flooding here in SC this weekend. On my last flight of the afternoon I started the P2V+ up and it almost immediately headed up and away... I quickly flicked the S1 switch and managed to regain control and brought it back to my location. But suddenly, it was off and away again, this time straight into the raging river! I was stunned by this behavior as I have been using the P2V+ a fair bit over the past 10 months in many parts of the world and have never had an issue. Even more disappointing was the lost video of the disastrous flooding in the region.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Phantom Tim. Stories like this wreak havoc on some people who are already in fear of losing their Phantom. A shame your very first post here had to be bad news.

Sorry to hear about your loss. That's the fear of every pilot, knowing it can and does happen but not knowing why or when. We feal your pain and anguish. Hope you guys in SC start getting some relief and the flood waters start recedeing.

Tim,
There is an issue with the GPS connector on many Phantoms. If you have no clues, this might be a possibility.

Hey Tim...

Sorry for your loss.. I feel your Pain.. But your Story Kinda proves my point I think..

Which is.. most people are out flying..enjoying their phantoms..having good times, and few issues.. and Not posting here..until they do have an issue or flyaway.. which is kinda bad.. because it can give the illusion that phantoms are 'unreliable' and it also can also make others too 'paranoid' to fully enjoy and or even fly their phantoms.

In your ten Months.. Did you have any issues?
care to give out any tips?
Im on my 11th month.. Im feeling like that might be a long time?
What are you gonna get now?

I'm guilty also.. although I havent really had any issues...

My P2 was trying to fly away twice. First time I lost the control and no sticks were working, it just started to fly away at low speed and altitude, around 10 meters. Hopefully, the big tree stopped it and all damages were just props and h3-2d.
Second time after around a year I was flying in the hills, no electric lines around, no airports or whatever, at elevation 50m I've got lost signal and same thing, no sticks were working I tried ATTI, but no effect. P2 started to fly very fast. But hopefully, this time I already installed alternative remote controller with parachute from 33dev. So I just pressed the button and landed P2 softly.
Don't know what happened in both times. miniOSD showed 10-12 gps satellites, connection was straight, battery was around 50-70%. Thanks God, I saved my drone. Now it's still alive, equipped with parachute, rc-01, radio beacon and I'm ready for such issues.

The problem with the Phantom flying away has to be a problem with the home position being reported incorrectly via the public GPS system. Happens once in a while when you turn on an app in the cell phone and it show your position some where that you are not. You move around a little and it recalculates the position and you see it jump to the correct spot on the map. Same can happen with the Phantoms GPS. I double check the map when I start my flight to see where it shows my home position on the map. If it's off any I flip my s2 switch 5 times resetting my position. Then off I go. Works so far. Two units and still flying and returning properly over 16 months now. Proper home position is the key.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic