My first flight was today. A couple of impressions...

Reaction score
I had my first test flight to of my P2V+. Unlike a lot of people, I went ahead and flashed the latest firmware (3.02) before ever taking off. I figured if I was going to learn how to fly one of these things, I might as well do it with the latest firmware applied.

I am very happy with how relatively easy it is to fly (using easy mode w/GPS of course). What I am not happy with is the FPV video range. It was a perfectly clear day in a big open field with no obstacles and I am using a very powerful new phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) and I set to 640x480 at 15fps preview mode and it seemed like it drops out too often. I guess I will look into upgrading the antenna like many people have looked into on here. I will even be willing to buy a Ipod touch if the apple ios software is better than the android software.

I have no idea how you pilots get comfortable flying these things at 400ft or using FPV to fly. If I don't see the phantom with my regular eyes I get REAL nervous and I don't trust (yet) to fly with just looking at the FPV.

Anyways, the Phanton 2 Vision + is awesome and I look forward to more flights as I get comfortable with this thing.

Here is the video of my first flight. It will be quite boring compared to all of the awesome videos that people have already posted, but it is my first flight and I've only flown a AR Drone before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUVEg5WcXaw

Not what ^ said. :) Don't fly it beyond your comfort zone. That's when mistakes are made. Speaking of Puss in Boots, it's said that curiosity kills the cat. Not sure how many crashes these things can take before being totally trashed, but don't bet that it has nine lives. No need to keep up with the distance and altitude record chasers. No prizes being awarded that I have seen. Why fly a mile away if you feel sick doing it.

Well seeing how it was his FIRST TEST FLIGHT do you really see a problem with being a little squeamish about going out of sight?

I took my first flight a little over 24 hours ago - I didn't go a mile away either. Just trying to get the hang of it. I too am loving this thing vjdave!

Wow.. Pressure is on huh? :lol:

I actually do plan on eventually doing a flyover of the place where I work and sell them the footage for their marking/advertising media. I just need a lot of practice before I try it. I don't want to be that guy who ends up on the news crashing into skyscrapers :lol:

I did my 3rd flight today and pushed to 2000ft until I lost signal.
You can probably guess what was going thru my head!
Luckily it did what it was supposed to do and RTH kicked in, relieved because I barely had my battery left by the time it showed up hovering above me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vjdave said:
Here is the video of my first flight. It will be quite boring compared to all of the awesome videos that people have already posted, but it is my first flight and I've only flown a AR Drone before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUVEg5WcXaw

You're wiser than many first time pilots......you at least picked a large open field with no trees nearby. Don't listen to those foolish ones that are just trying to impress. Enjoy and learn, then begin to push your comfort zone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic