My first flight was a disaster!

I can solve the problem with the cat. And I will give him a 100yd head start before I chamber the round. :)

Sorry, not a cat lover (or even liker). The cat litter is the cheapest source I have found for silica gel. Its the same stuff thats in those small packets and also in the packs for gun safes and electronics bags. And as cat litter its about 1/10th or less the price.

I pack it between two large paper coffee filters that I staple the edges together. I use these sachets in ammo cans, safes, electronics cabinets and for keeping my filament for my printer dry. I have also used them to rescue a laptop that took a dip in the pool.

Nice part about the silica gel sachets is that they don't leave rice in the shell you have to try to clean out.
One cat, his room is the Laundry room, with a cat door in a window.
Just trying add some humor. I am glad you didn't send your Granddaughters after me.
;)

So back to the OP's question.
Is his Phantom done?
Please give him some help, isn't that what this forum is about?

One cat, his room is the Laundry room, with a cat door in a window.
Just trying add some humor. I am glad you didn't send your Granddaughters after me.
;)
So back to the OP's question.
Is his Phantom done?
Please give him some help, isn't that what this forum is about?
I got the humor :) Happy you got mine :)

Until the OP posts back with any more info, not much we can do. If he didn't wash it. He needs to. Then dry it. And that takes time.

If I understood one of his posts, I think he only briefly dried it and has tried to power it on. That may well be the last nail in the coffin. But, as I said, what more does he have to loose by trying to wash it well and re-dry it properly? The cost of a bag of cat litter? Seems like a deal to me to rescue $500+ drone.

If it fails, he still has the cat litter. Either for the cat (if he has one) or use it for other drying purposes or bag and save it for when he needs to dry a phone one of the kids drops in the puddle. If nothing else, have the wife sew up bags and turn it into a bean bag toss game.

Its kinda in the OPs hands to let us know what the status is and what he intends to try or do.

"he still has the cat litter"
OK, that is the funniest so far!

Reactions: Wolfiesden
Water and tech don't mix. If you do dry it out it still may never be the same.

Salvage the non electronic parts you can and build around that.

I saw on eBay some sell the motherboard and internals for like 150 bucks. Start there and try to boot up. The battery might be okay. Charge and use in supervision first time around and closely monitor to see if it gets hot. Lipo does not like hard impacts. In your case you landed in the water so fortunately for you, things like the battery and shell might be salvagable.

Once you build our the internals, power up and test you gimbal and camera. If it works your golden. If not, source a used or new gimbal and camera from eBay or something. You should be good then and should be cheaper then buying new.

You could use this opportunity to upgrade some intervals as well like move to 4K and antenna boosters.

Good luck man and sorry about the maiden crash.

I got the humor :) Happy you got mine :)

Until the OP posts back with any more info, not much we can do. If he didn't wash it. He needs to. Then dry it. And that takes time.

If I understood one of his posts, I think he only briefly dried it and has tried to power it on. That may well be the last nail in the coffin. But, as I said, what more does he have to loose by trying to wash it well and re-dry it properly? The cost of a bag of cat litter? Seems like a deal to me to rescue $500+ drone.

If it fails, he still has the cat litter. Either for the cat (if he has one) or use it for other drying purposes or bag and save it for when he needs to dry a phone one of the kids drops in the puddle. If nothing else, have the wife sew up bags and turn it into a bean bag toss game.

Its kinda in the OPs hands to let us know what the status is and what he intends to try or do.
Well I hope we didn't make Mitchell1990 to mad and he will back with good, bad and not ugly stories, so for a connection on rice humor, I wanted to make sure you had seen this one..

Standard - Removing rice from inside P3S

Lithium reacts with water. That property is used to power navy torpedoes. Most recycling centers, Best Buy stores etc have bins for proper disposal.
The lithium in the quantities and mix with other elements and compounds as present in LiPO batteries is unlikely to react violently with water. Airline cabin crew are instructed to use water, soft drink or other liquids if an extinquisher isnt handy in onboard incidents involving LiPo's including those that are going through "rapid deconstruction" as the manufacturers call it.

Fire and heat is a primary concern on a airplane. Drop the battery into a semi enclosed trash barrel with a bit more water and all bets are off. I was involved in the US's largest lithium fire as a fireman, Asst Fire Marshall. Company was dismantling Navy torpedos and exceeding the drying chambers venting specs to speed up the production and a boiler section wasn't dry enough and started to burn and the whole process building was a loss as how does one fight it? Keep the exterior intact as much as you can to prevent contamination of surrounding area and waters.

Reactions: longdog
If my knowledge is correct, water does nothing for a lipo fire. It's a chemical fire and needs to be treated as such.

I also dabble in land based RC vehicles and I always charge and store my LiPo batteries in a fire retardant enclosed case.

But make it worse. Like the old Lawnboy mower decks made of magnesium. You should see how fast a fireman can get out of a garage when that happens.:)
Or find out like I did (stupidly in hindsight) when attempting to tig weld and old VW crankcase (magnesium alloy) you end up with a spectacular fire that gies out when it feels like it. My only saving grace being i decided to do it outside the shed on the grass.

But make it worse. Like the old Lawnboy mower decks made of magnesium. You should see how fast a fireman can get out of a garage when that happens.:)
I dissagree. If its the only thing available to you the water may cool the reaction suffucently to prevent a more catastrophic venting and burning of the internals.

Water or a Halon extinguisher is what is recommend to put out a Li battery fire and to continue to use water to cool the runaway battery. We hopefully will never have to deal with more than a pound or so at a time like when I had to fight a fire that had many tons. I have a few drums of Magnesium powders and some are now banned from normal transport.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20