My first flight today and wow!!

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post here but before I praise this machine I have been lurking for a couple of months learning from you all. Tidy forum, Thanks for all the help.

I am an age old rc'er, Been into nitro monster trucks, brushless truggies, touring cars, buggies, but on hols earlier in the year I got a touch tipsy and bought a hubsan x4 on eBay. That was the turning point in converting from tyres to props. I was hooked.

I fancied the phantom 2 but those batteries are ludicrously priced for a 5000mah Lipo. I opted for the fc40. I followed some decent Youtube vids as the poorly translated instructions online are crap at best.

I ordered some extra overlander lipos as I don't like cheap lipos.

I am not disappointed. It's stable in flight and so nice to fly. My old trucks and truggies won't be getting a look in from now on.

As I get some more footage in the coming days I will post some vids and pics

[emoji7]

Welcome. The hubsan is a great training tool. Keep things owe and simple until you really get to know her. It's amazing what can be done.

You sound like my father and I lol. Both of us started with electric and gas RC cars and trucks. Our fire was killed when someone stole $2000+ worth of RC vehicles and tools from our house about 4-5 years ago. Then earlier this year, I bought myself a little Hubsan X4-type quadcopter and then it was all over from there. I eventually upgraded to a WL Toys V262 which then went to my dad when I bought my FC40. Now my dad is hooked (though prefers helis now) and I don't see myself ever giving up flying.

Revomikey said:
I fancied the phantom 2 but those batteries are ludicrously priced for a 5000mah Lipo

True they are expensive, but the bonus is 25 minutes of flight time, and upto 300 recharges, when you add up the cost of 3 of your batteries to equal the flight time then your more or less in the ball park figure for the 5200mah battery, plus no stray wires to tuck in and no silly battery door that falls open when it feels like it.

Sorry i love my P2V :)

I've had a Vision Plus for months. Whilst it has more advanced features then the FC40, I always find myself worried when flying it. I really don't want to crash my £1000 Quad. I know the camera and gimbal will break if I do. Recently got an FC40 and my feelings are totally different. Of course I don't WANT to crash. But I don't have the same concerns as I do with my Vision Plus. The FC40 is worth it! :D

True they are expensive, but the bonus is 25 minutes of flight time, and upto 300 recharges, when you add up the cost of 3 of your batteries to equal the flight time then your more or less in the ball park figure for the 5200mah battery

ya but is there any one at all thats ever gotten even 100 chargesor more out of the p2 not so smart battery's before they failed? cause I never heard of any one ever getting even near the 300 charges that dji sets for there max charge cycle. many have failed in less then a dozen before they were dead do to how they like to blow cells and lock out cells.

also lots and lots of people have had false non dji battery's in flight and it goes in to auto crash mode and there nice expensive p2 goes and takes a dirt nap or runs out of battery 5 minuets in.

I have an FC40 and a P2V. and in many ways the fc40 is a lot more fun to fly with a lot less worries. Even if it dont have all the bells and whistles as the p2v. IF they crash they are cheap to fix. The fc40 battery's are pretty cheap esp if some one buys non dji battery's and also many of them are also better quality battery's then stock dji even at less cost. and one nice thing about the fc40 is VRS is almost unheard of if some one uses the stock fc40 props and wont even have to worry about havering a VRS death crash due to VRS.

J.James said:
True they are expensive, but the bonus is 25 minutes of flight time, and upto 300 recharges, when you add up the cost of 3 of your batteries to equal the flight time then your more or less in the ball park figure for the 5200mah battery

ya but is there any one at all thats ever gotten even 100 chargesor more out of the p2 not so smart battery's before they failed? cause I never heard of any one ever getting even near the 300 charges that dji sets for there max charge cycle. many have failed in less then a dozen before they were dead do to how they like to blow cells and lock out cells.

also lots and lots of people have had false non dji battery's in flight and it goes in to auto crash mode and there nice expensive p2 goes and takes a dirt nap or runs out of battery 5 minuets in.

I have an FC40 and a P2V. and in many ways the fc40 is a lot more fun to fly with a lot less worries. Even if it dont have all the bells and whistles as the p2v. IF they crash they are cheap to fix. The fc40 battery's are pretty cheap esp if some one buys non dji battery's and also many of them are also better quality battery's then stock dji even at less cost. and one nice thing about the fc40 is VRS is almost unheard of if some one uses the stock fc40 props and wont even have to worry about havering a VRS death crash due to VRS.

He's got a point guys, lol. I don't think I've heard about a single FC40 going down due to VRS with stock props. The P2 batteries aren't THAT bad. Especially since DJI have developed them (They will discharge on their own to prevent themselves from being damaged, if they're not used for a few days). But you can't go wrong for the price of batteries for the FC40. Plus it's totally upgradable :D

To There are 2 flaws that some FC40s have that pretain to the batterys. But each can be fixed before disaster strikes. One tiny flaw is that some times the battery door does not latch very securely and when flaying at a sharp pitch forward the battery door can fly open and if the battery falls out and yanks its self free at the plug. All you can is stand there and watch it drop out of the sky like a rock. Been there done that. way not fun. The fix is to heat up and bend the tab a tiny bit and to take a razor blade and trim away about a mm or so of the sides and top edge of the door so that it lets the tab go in far enough to actually catch on the notch properly and with the tab bend up some. The catch will also hold with more force.

The other thing that can happen is with the battery cables pulling off the board due to being handled a lot and strain at the solder joint from tugging on the cables when connecting and disconnecting the battery. The fix for that. You need to open up the shell and put some epoxy on the wires or use a zip tie or some other means to secure the wires to make sure they dont come off the solder joint. Cause thats another thing you dont want to have happen while in flight. Also been there and done that one to and it was not fun either. 4th of july weekend I was doing a night flight and had it on the other side of a big river and on the other side of a big forested mountain and all the sudden it just dropped out of the sky. 1/2 mile away and from about 800 feet up. I got lucky tho as it feel in a tiny clearing at the end of a dead end dirt road and it just happened to be the first spot I went to start looking for it and there it was laying on its back even tho I didnt really have much hope i would ever even be able to find it out in the middle of no ware ville. It survived pretty good tho with only a bent prop and the battery wire that pulled off and one other wire going to one of the escs busted from the impact of the crash. I even lucked out some more when one of my buddy's at camp had his tool box in his car and a soldering iron and solder and was able to fix it right at camp and was flying again within the hour. These DJIs are some real Tuff SOBs

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4