My first F550, Pixhawk or NAZA ?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After more than a half year of flying with my Phantom 1, it became the time to "upgrade" to something bigger.
So I started with the build of a Flamewheel F550. The original plan was to buy the F550 ARF kit, and then use a Pixhawk controller to control the hexacopter.
I already had some experience in configuring the NAZA from my Phantom (I replaced the original receiver by a Graupner Hott), so I thought that it wouldn't be so difficult to make the Pixhawk work on the F550.
It turned out that I was wrong, the Pixhawk is a very strong controller, with many many features, but that makes it difficult to install and configure it. Also the fact that there are at least 3 different programs available to configure the controller isn't helping very much.
And finally the ESC's that are included in the F550 ARF kit aren't working so good with a Pixhawk.
So I put my pride aside, and have replaced the Pixhawk with the Naza M - V2, and guess what ? In less then 10 minutes everything was connected, configured and ready for test...
I allready did a first testflight, and I was really impressed by the stability of the F550 :cool:
The Pixhawk is not completely put aside, but will get a second chance later this summer, when I build a replacement for my Phantom 1...

f550.jpg

grtz

Patrick

Nice... I have to agree with ya, Pixhawk is nice, loaded and has a bunch of options but NAZA V2 makes life easy as far as config and simplicity. I debated the same w/my Kong 450 - ended up with Naza V2 & E300 propulsion system. Threw a 5000mah 4S at it and it's a beast. Simple to fly, handles better than OE Phantom and was pretty easy to set up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1