My first experience flying waypoints with Litchi

Reaction score
First off, I'm using Litchi because I really like the idea of building a flight plan while sitting in my La-Z-Boy, carefully reviewing it and then going out and flying it. Just can't imagine what the DJI folks were thinking about doing it the way they do it. (IMHO & not the point of this post)

So my first actual flights with Litchi waypoints were with a modest 4-waypoint flight plan. Just a rectangle, very small, certainly nothing at all fancy. I have a P3S, an iPad mini wifi-only. Litchi IOS app is dated January 25, 2016. I loaded the modest flight plan into the iPad using my home WIFI.
  • Traveled to the location that the flight plan was designed for (in my neighborhood)
  • Powered the whole business up and got the iPad onto the flight WIFI.
  • While in P-mode I got the greenlight from Litchi on the GPS.
  • Flipped the S1 switch down into F-mode, Litchi changed the mode it was using to F-mode.
  • Pressed the start/play button and there was a dialog box that had me confirm that I wanted to start the mission. Said OK.
  • Long pause for thought at this point, nothing going on for 20-30 seconds with no visual or audible feedback.
  • Finally got a small dialog box that was empty, all white, on the iPad mini. The box was maybe 3/8" high and 2" wide. It said nothing.
  • Didn't know what to do about the null "message" and while I was scratching my head, I heard a verbal notification that the "upload was complete"? or something to that effect. Then the props started up and the aircraft was off doing its little mission.
  • I was able to execute the flightplan twice then modified it to lower the altitude of one of the waypoints and ran it again.
  • I was able to modify the flying speed while the program was running, paused it, resumed it. Pretty straighforward operation. No flying issues. While it was flying it all made sense. Not so much when I was trying to launch the mission.
Questions:
  1. Is it normal to have such a delay after saying that I did want to start the mission?
  2. Is there a more graceful method that I should have used to initiate this mission?
  3. What was the empty dialog box(notification, maybe?) trying to tell me?
  4. Does all this sound routine or did I screw something up and got away with it?
Thanks a lot for your help
p

Last edited:
It sometimes takes a bit to start. On my Ipad Mini 2, it always shows a progress bar after I click "start" that says "uploading mission". The only thing I do differently is that I always take off manually and fly close to my first waypoint before pressing "start". In other words, I never start until I'm already in the air.

Reactions: Paulie1340
Everything sounds ok. The white box is probably the loading bar as Pharm said, just didn't display for some reason. Just some advice, I believe on the P3S there is no RTH when doing litchi waypoints. Be sure to make your last waypoint near you in case of lost signal, if you didn't already know.

Reactions: Paulie1340
How does one officially report a bug to the Litchi support people. Are there any support people?Facebook? I can't believe I have to ask this question about an app that I spent $22 on.

OK... I have to own up to this. Litchi people on Facebook worked with me very cordially!

I was using an iPad Mini its a fairly new one with the small power connector but none the less a Mini(1). Minimum requirement for the Litchi app is an iPad Mini 2. So I'm off to the Apple Store to get me a new device, I'm probably go with the 4.

Newbies!

...Minimum requirement for the Litchi app is an iPad Mini 2. So I'm off to the Apple Store to get me a new device, I'm probably go with the 4.

Tim Cook says "Thanks" and is firing off a commission check to the folks at Litchi

i just ran my maiden voyage on litchi with a p4. My mission lost signal and my girl returned home to me about 4 of the longest minutes of my life later. I want to examine the actual flight log. And where and when it went to. Lost Signal Etc. Is there a way to do than inside the litchi app?

Plug a plug a cable into the micro USB port on the P4 and into your tablet. Turn both on and start the Go app. You should be able to access the onboard flight logs. See page 23 in the manual.

Maybe it's different with the P4, but why not leave it in P mode?
No, on a 3, the "PAF" switch has to be in the 'F' position for missions to run.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20