my first encounter with a jerk

A lot of people don't like modern technology, they fear the unknown. All that couple probably knows is that Fox News runs a lot of negative reports on 'drones' and they think you are up to no good. I have a summer seasonal site my 5th wheel sits and I occasionally get someone who mentions the privacy thing. I offer to let them see the monitor or show them a video of me flying in that area to assure them you cannot see who people are should they be in view. Most seem to 'get it' after talking with me and viewing the video. There's always one in every crowd unfortunately.

Society is a mess :) and the media over-sensationalise everything!!!
Everyone is concerned about privacy and yet they have FB, Twitter, Instagram and trying to get randoms to follow.
Nudist at public beaches are concerned about their privacy. WTFLOL!!!
Parents are concerned about kids privacy when their teens are sending nudes to each other at school and randoms online..
Ever since 9-11, the norm is too assume the worst. Fear mongering :)

Just off tangent...
This is how messed up we are.. A parent missed placed her 2 (maybe 3) year old and wasn't aware until she was running towards the road. I picked her up before she became roadkill. The problem is that I'm not too sure on how I picked her up - you don't think in these matters. The mother came running and was infuriated. I didn't know better as she was screaming in Chinese. I thought she was angry at her girl. I passed the girl back to her smiling thinking I deserved a medal. She continued blasting as I walked off to catch up with my mates. A bystander saw it all and said if you knew what she said, you should have just let the child get hit. "What the hell you doing with my kid!!! You're a disgusting pervert touching my kid and I hope you will never have kids!!!", he translated. What the mother didn't realise was that she didn't see me save her child and because I don't have kids, I possibly held her "inappropriately"). The bystander said he will explain to her what had just happened. My mates said to grab the kid's arm next time.

By the title of this thread, I thought the author, "Knuckles" and I had just met!

Seriously, I've been fortunate to have only been approached by curious people who have been polite. I always bring up that there are many people who are worried that I might be invading their privacy when I fly over their houses/yards. I tell them that if I was low enough to be actually spying on them, they can clearly see and hear this thing. It isn't exactly something I can sneak by them. I continue in describing how I fly, at high altitude (under 400' of course) so that the noise is minimal, and you can't really see my drone unless you know where & what you're looking for. Which also means, I can't really see you from my drone, or at least make out much detail. I have a photo I show from about 350' of my yard with my kids playing in it. I can't even tell them apart.

Making the people aware that we can't peak into their bedroom windows (without them knowing anyway) is half the problem.

The problem complainers about the noise? You'll never make those folks happy. When they are out on their nature walk, and a jet flies overhead, do they get upset?

I'll take 20 minutes of a drone flying around versus the all-day squawking of the hawk that lives in the trees behind my house any day.

Jimmy

My yard backs up to a park so it is my primary home base. I've only had two encounters with people. The boys coming home from school thought it was cool and wanted me to scare their friends. The lady coaching a private soccer lesson gave me some looks but never said anything. Not much to say when I come out my own back gate and settle down in my lawn chairs about 20 ft out. :) She was never closer than 50 ft to my take off and landings but I think she did eventually decide to pack up and leave early.

Not sure who brought this thread back from the dead but you guys gotta chill! The admins have cleaned this thread up, not the moderators, but the administrators, the owners.
So lets stop the bickering and stay on topic without fighting amongst yourselves. Treat your fellow drone owners as if you were standing in the flying park face to face. ;)

I had a previously helpful sympathetic resident, in trying to find my lost drone, and my using another drone to find that drone and flew over their place, look me up from my phone number and come to my house and tell me to please not fly over their home any longer (loss of airspace permission basically) as I was scaring his wife and child and she has photographed my search drone etc. I immediately apologized, said no problem, and found I really didnt need to fly over their place any longer as the wooded areas I was searching, were really behind and in front of his his property. His property was cleared of having the lost drone some time ago. I was flying some seriously low-to-the-trees flights to ruffle the leaves and find the lost drone too. The technique I'll detail in another thread for this, but more importantly I was upsetting his family and I can't let that stand. Its supposed to be a fun hobby and I'd prefer to teach his son how to fly it rather than have him run from it. They are perhaps a bit over cautious but people are people and just be nice, and forthcoming and dont make enemies.

Last edited:
I would have apologies as it is noise pollution in a nature walk area. I'm not saying people should not be allowed to fly drones in that area, only that I understand their concern. Some times you just can't win. I think this was one of those times. Best thing to do is be nice, educate and perhaps pack up if it's not too much trouble.
<long reply deleted> Timing. Go at different times. Everyone wins.

I go to tortilla flats at least once week to fly out there. I almost put that building in my video. Later in the day it does get crowded with tourists. I've thought about asking permission to fly at the Goldfield ghost town before but haven't done it yet. There's a big sign that says that any commercial filming needs permission and insurance before filming. I'd feel better asking permission anyway. I think that some people live on the property even very early in the morning there's workers walking around.

I've yet to go all the way to Roosevelt dam. I've gone as far as Apache Lake on the dirt road which was a bit rough. The dam was more miles down that road. I don't think I'd want to risk flying any national monuments especially with any park rangers around.

That road is a bit dangerous. Unfortunately one day I was heading up the road probably less than 2 miles past tortilla flats where there was a motorcycle crash with the guy lying in the road. There were a few other bikers by him and one guy in an SUV went to call 911. There's no cell signal there. I blocked the road with my hazard lights on so no one coming around the corner would risk hitting the people in the road. It must have taken 30 minutes for the sheriff to show up then maybe 15 minutes more for the ambulance. I was nervous when I saw the ambulance heading up without the sirens. My wife said she saw flowers the next time we past that spot. I'm thinking the biker didn't make it. His bike was standing up right with wheel in air into the rock wall. I'd guess he tried to take the corner too fast but who knows very sad. When I was blocking the road waiting for the police a lady told me that she saw a worse bike accident earlier the same day. I guess they try to push the speed on all the curves. There's a few spots that make me nervous that barely have enough room for two cars to pass each other on the dirt road with cliff on the side. I always take it easy around that part.
I haven't seen that show yet sounds interesting.

I'm heading up to Roosevelt Lake in a couple of weeks to fly. I found a place over in Ahutuwkee where Chandler Blvd ends that has a couple of miles where I practice. If any old people hassle me, I'll tell them to go back to their 10 million dollar homes with a crappy view of 12 radio antennes instead of buying a 5 million dollar home in Kailua or Diamonld head on the beach and take their dumb *** away from me.

As we know this entire town is full of angry old snowbirds who hate everything and I don't put up with stupid BS.

Dude... I'm sixty-three. Over the course of my life I have seen exactly what you're alluding to over and again. A similar syndrome is that the unattractive chick will always be the first one to complain about the supermodel posters... The lazy guy will be the first to complain about someone else getting ahead...

I swore I would NEVER be that "get off my lawn!!!" "golden ager." Does it piss me off seeing younger people doing things that I can't? Does it make me angry watching younger guys wandering around with gorgeous young women and taking them for granted? Maybe a little bit... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not really. I'm doing my best to enjoy who I am now... But I DO understand that syndrome...

-slinger

I'm 63, as well and couldn't agree with you more. Whoever said life begins at 30 has no clue because I'm having more fun now than I did back then. Anyway I love it when Mr. & Mrs. Dickwad comes along and tells me they are going to call the "police" because I am doing something they deem "Illegal". That's usually when I tell them to have at it. Their reaction is priceless, specially if they call and the officer shows up and the first words spoken to me, more often than not, are "Hi Captain, what's up?" ..... LOL !

Had a fantastic day flying. A new guy showed up on the other side of the field (a public park) where I usually fly with a brand new P3S. Soon after, the cops showed up. He was talking to the first guy and I walked (flew my P3P) over to join the conversation. The cop was interested and fascinated. He was really disappointed when he had to leave for a call, but he swore he would be back...after he gets his wife to let him buy one, too. Like I said, fantastic day flying. (BTW, I am 59.)

Last edited:
First, I would have told them "I'm with National Geographic and we're doing a study on how foot traffic is eroding our beautiful State Parks". Second, I would have proceeded to tell them where the nearest gym is and that tread mills will give them the same results. Then, I would have told them that the soles of their shoes are not approved for this trail and that should be illegal.
I would also mention that my P3 does ZERO harm to the environment and in fact preserves and captures the parks natural beauty for those who may never get to see it in person.
Last, I would have buzzed the tower...... give them a real reason to be pissed. OK, I'm kidding, this whole reply is a joke.... I wouldn't do any of that. I would have quietly packed my stuff and left, but if they would have stood there and watched me pack up, we'd still be standing there! I dang sure would have said what was on my mind! I don't like people who have nothing better to do than ***** about stuff. Especially if they're bitching about something they know nothing about.

Never been to such encounters myself, most of them has only been positive ones. Has not been to fly much in populated areas tho and most of my places is out in the wilderness. But one day i walked with my dad to the top of a hill where people commonly do trips. An older couple came while i was packing and they started talking to both me and my dad. But they sounded more interested in what it was in a positive way :) Another time on another hill with a 5m tall viewing tower, i was going to fly to get some areal shots from high above. There was a couple of families there with smaller kids. And as usual they gets really amazed and runned towards the viewing tower to watch my fly as fast they found out what i packed out. While that they talked about how amazing it looked. And it was just a P2. Kinda fun experience.

Did they moan about the noise of the commercial jets or the helicopter that comes to rescue them when their stranded? Always put on a high vis vest then they dont approach you. If they do then say your surveying the area for 'insert endangered animal local to you here' and if they still moan then follow them with it until they cry.

I've read of this Hi-Vis Orange Vest strategy several times and have to admit it's an interesting idea. If they're going to see you anyway, then psychologically it might be advantageous to make yourself blatantly visible.

I've read of this Hi-Vis Orange Vest strategy several times and have to admit it's an interesting idea. If they're going to see you anyway, then psychologically it might be advantageous to make yourself blatantly visible.
Hiding in plain sight. :)

4db7d7d91749bb45142e892590181f89.jpg

Visible enough? [emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Oh see the norwegian TV2 logo? That means you also are a norwegian :)

I got up early this morning and hiked about 2 miles to be on the side of a mountain early morning. I did two flights after 8am. Three ladies walked past me on the trail while I was there and another couple. We all said good morning etc. Then came along an angry older couple. They complained that they were bothered by the noise of my quadcopter and I was invading their privacy. I explained to them that if they were in my camera they would be about the size of an ant. I also apologized that I bothered them "twice" as I was packing up anyway. They continued to stand there like they didn't hear my first apology to the point where I asked them "I already apologized to you twice what more do you want me to do".
I should have known what kind of people they were when the first thing they asked me was if that was illegal. When they were starting to walk off they said it should be illegal. I'm sure they complained to the state park ranger.

I have flown my quadcopter all over california and arizona. All my encounters with people have been good ones until today. My wife thinks they needed a snickers and were grumpy early in the morning because they probably hadn't eaten.
Bq6jUNOCIAE_cPe.jpg

Just tell them that they have no right to privacy in a public place, end of story.

I respect the elderly as much as possible because it's how I was brought up, however they shouldn't just get a instant pass on everything because their age, some of them were arrogant dicks when they was young and become even worse arrogant dicks as they got older.

For example if I'm on the beach and an elderly person comes and says could you keep the music down please we are trying to relax, I will totally respect that and do as they ask.
Now if an old person comes up to me on a public mountain and tells me he's gonna phone the police because I'm flying a drone completely lawfully, I will even try to take the time to educate them and maybe even try to show them it working and a few of the smart modes.

If they have something to say after I've apologised twice and prepare to move on to a different location, I generally switch to CF props, switch the P4 to sport, take a 100ft run up with a back wind around 6ft altitude and aim for their head at 55mph, you would be surprised the effect this can have on an elderly person with health problems, it usually stops the whining super fast...

Reactions: ray rokni

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik