my first encounter with a jerk

Reaction score
I got up early this morning and hiked about 2 miles to be on the side of a mountain early morning. I did two flights after 8am. Three ladies walked past me on the trail while I was there and another couple. We all said good morning etc. Then came along an angry older couple. They complained that they were bothered by the noise of my quadcopter and I was invading their privacy. I explained to them that if they were in my camera they would be about the size of an ant. I also apologized that I bothered them "twice" as I was packing up anyway. They continued to stand there like they didn't hear my first apology to the point where I asked them "I already apologized to you twice what more do you want me to do".
I should have known what kind of people they were when the first thing they asked me was if that was illegal. When they were starting to walk off they said it should be illegal. I'm sure they complained to the state park ranger.

I have flown my quadcopter all over california and arizona. All my encounters with people have been good ones until today. My wife thinks they needed a snickers and were grumpy early in the morning because they probably hadn't eaten.
Bq6jUNOCIAE_cPe.jpg

Reactions: johnnyu
I guess you are a lot nicer than I would of been. There is no way I would apologize if I had not done anything wrong. No matter what you had to say, they were going to complain anyway. I try to get along with everyone but some people you can't please em! Instead of a snickers bar, they probably needed a 5th of whiskey.

Reactions: mal is up
A lot of people don't like modern technology, they fear the unknown. All that couple probably knows is that Fox News runs a lot of negative reports on 'drones' and they think you are up to no good. I have a summer seasonal site my 5th wheel sits and I occasionally get someone who mentions the privacy thing. I offer to let them see the monitor or show them a video of me flying in that area to assure them you cannot see who people are should they be in view. Most seem to 'get it' after talking with me and viewing the video. There's always one in every crowd unfortunately.

I would have apologies as it is noise pollution in a nature walk area. I'm not saying people should not be allowed to fly drones in that area, only that I understand their concern. Some times you just can't win. I think this was one of those times. Best thing to do is be nice, educate and perhaps pack up if it's not too much trouble.

Reactions: johnnyu
yeah I figured maybe the guy and his wife had traveled from whatever state just to hike that mountain and hear my buzzing above instead of a soaring eagle. I tried to be nice anyway. Then again maybe he lives 10 minutes away down the road.
It was an interesting experience which I hope to not see often. After months of flying at many locations this was a first.

I think they were pissed that they weren't 30 years younger!

Welcome to the "people are pissed at me club"

I continually wish to be 30 years younger, then I remember then it goes away.

i would not be bothered with that. You handled it well and you cant please all of the people all of the time!

PhantomFanatic said:
I think they were pissed that they weren't 30 years younger!

Dude... I'm sixty-three. Over the course of my life I have seen exactly what you're alluding to over and again. A similar syndrome is that the unattractive chick will always be the first one to complain about the supermodel posters... The lazy guy will be the first to complain about someone else getting ahead...

I swore I would NEVER be that "get off my lawn!!!" "golden ager." Does it piss me off seeing younger people doing things that I can't? Does it make me angry watching younger guys wandering around with gorgeous young women and taking them for granted? Maybe a little bit... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not really. I'm doing my best to enjoy who I am now... But I DO understand that syndrome...

-slinger

A few places that I fly or would fly if I could, I recognize when people are there to take in the tranquility. I like to do that too. So I go elsewhere of fly there when no one is around.

That said, you can't always go elsewhere, and you do what you can, not to be selfish about it, but you can't always win. And if you've gone to special effort to go somewhere, to get there early and to be as considerate as possible, I say go ahead. It's not like you're going to be there half the day.

My in-laws learned about my drone and immediately thought I was going to annoy people and invade their privacy. My wife told them how far out of my way I do go to be considerate, but they seemed to think drones have no other purpose. Such are the conclusions people will jump to.

This is where I was flying this morning btw.. :cool: In general I try to avoid people which is why I left before sunrise this morning to go fly. It doesn't always turn out that way though.
B-VnwwPCUAAtbBh.jpg:large

LuvMyTJ said:
A lot of people don't like modern technology, they fear the unknown. All that couple probably knows is that Fox News runs a lot of negative reports on 'drones' and they think you are up to no good. There's always one in every crowd unfortunately.

Spot on bud my hatred towards the media started when I came home from my last tour in 93 people where so mislead by those bottom feeders (all media) .Brian Williams is the perfect poster boy for them all :D

Reactions: mmtphoto
750r said:
LuvMyTJ said:
A lot of people don't like modern technology, they fear the unknown. All that couple probably knows is that Fox News runs a lot of negative reports on 'drones' and they think you are up to no good. There's always one in every crowd unfortunately.

Spot on bud my hatred towards the media started when I came home from my last tour in 93 people where so mislead by those bottom feeders (all media) .Brian Williams is the perfect poster boy for them all :D

He is indeed. Thank you for your service.

Reactions: mmtphoto
I would have told t hem you have as much right to be there as they do and if they dont like it they can go complain to the ranger. You pay your taxes, assuming its a gov't maintained park and there are no rules in place that prohibit you. I own a restaurant and I had a table tell one of my waiters who is in his early 20's that he did not like young people and to get him an older waiter. I think some older people just like to be grumpy. Hell they have been around a long time and they have every right to be an a hole if they want. Anyway back on subject, I have only had one negative experience and I straightened it out. I was at a park near me and a guy walked up to me asking if I was filming him and said I had better not be, and accused me of spying on people. I told him to watch what I was doing and he would see he had nothing to be concerned about. I took it up about 50 feet and showed him how small we looked as we viewed us though the camera. I showed him that there was no zoom and explained that in order to get close enough to someone to actually spy on them the person would have heard us coming from a mile away. He eased up a little bit and I went on to show him ground station and other features. When we were done I had him sold on one and he said he was going to buy one on Amazon that night.

I think its every seniors god given right to be and ahole if they want lol, kind of like a right of passage. when I am older I am going to be grouchy just for fun. Then again I am already kind of an ahole.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
You don't have be a senior to be an ahole. :eek: I see a lot of youngsters who fit that description to a tee. :lol:

Reactions: matti and mmtphoto
Those people being dicks did not come with age. They were always like that.

Take comfort in the fact you were doing nothing wrong, were polite further than was required and that the rest of their walk was now spoiled as they stewed on how the few minutes of noise ruined their whole day. If you weren't there, it wouldn't have been long before they got the grump about something else.

I've not had any negative interaction yet but I hope I can be as diplomatic as you...... I say "hope"!

Reactions: matti
I have had a number of encounters with these types of dickheads, quad biking, mountain biking, 4x4 trails, walking the dog you name it.
Personally I completely blank them. If they continue I turn my back on them and refuse to engage them in any way.

I would like an encounter with these type of people, they wouldn't hang around me complaining for long. I like to think I am a nice guy, however these boring idiots annoy me. Live and let live I say.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31