My first drone failure today.. Help!?!

I have never done it. But from reading I think they only want the drone. They should give you that information.
Alright, when someone gets back to me on what the logs are saying, then I will determine if I open my drone up or RMA it. I will try to send DJI and anonymous email asking what they need in a RMA.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So i have developed a theory that supports a failed motor.
Assuming that what actually happened was a failed motor, that corner of the drone would no longer be providing lift causing it to sink. Being off balanced, the drone would rotate but also lower power to other motors to rebalance the drone but can't with no lift from the failed motor. You can see a small curve on the map when the drone fell and there was no wind. The back left motor was the one to fail and the drone was facing away from me at the time. That means the drone would fall to the left and also be carried slightly left by the pull of the other props. Without any lift from the failed motor, that's why the drone fell. If it fell in that formation, there is no severe damage to the shell of the drone suggesting it hit the prop which could of bent the threads and why it spins off balance now.

So i'm not saying that's what happened, just a theory.

Wow I am really sorry to hear about this disaster. I guess that really is a phantom owners worst nightmare as a there is really nothing you can do when a motor goes out. One of the cons and realities we have to accept with a quad rotor platform. I guess the ray of hope is that the tree broke it's fall and minimized the damage. Hopefully the scuffs will rub out and with a new motor you will be back in the air.

Wow I am really sorry to hear about this disaster. I guess that really is a phantom owners worst nightmare as a there is really nothing you can do when a motor goes out. One of the cons and realities we have to accept with a quad rotor platform. I guess the ray of hope is that the tree broke it's fall and minimized the damage. Hopefully the scuffs will rub out and with a new motor you will be back in the air.
Yes i am pretty lucky that i landed in a tree, and the drone landed in the tree on the already broken motor. My total damage other than some scratches is just one dead motor.

But just a general question now is (assuming that the motor fail was the cause of the crash), should i be worried about my other motors? Are the others any more likely to fail since one already has?

This was an interesting flight. Before we get into the details I think the cause was an in flight failure of the motor speed control that caused your crash. I.e. the problems you're experiencing now are not the result of the crash. From what I know about DJI they would not invalidate the warranty because you've modified the controller.

Apparently the P3 Standard does not have the same ESC as the Advanced or Professional. Commanded motor speed is available but information about actual motor speed or motor load isn't available.Without actual speed or load the analysis is a bit more indirect and circumstantial.

This graph shows relative Height and total acceleration.
upload_2016-3-20_6-34-40.png

The problem started at about time 181 resulting in a steep descent and crash at about time 187.493.

This plot shows the commanded motor speeds for all 4 motors
upload_2016-3-20_6-39-1.png

It shows that the left back commanded went to the max value when the problem started. At the same time the right front commanded went to a lower setting. This indicates that the left back lost propulsion and the right front commanded was reduced to compensate. This behavior is normal when propulsion is lost on one motor.

This plot shows that the P3 started to spin when the problem occurred.
upload_2016-3-20_6-43-49.png

This also is normal with loss of propulsion in one motor.

Finally, your video showing the motor start was really interesting. The purpose of the 2 motor bursts at motorStart is to test the response of the motors. (Some have speculated that it may be to tighten the props). On a P3 Advanced or Professional the response is evaluated by looking at the actual speed and load values. Any anomaly will cause a shutdown and an ESC error to be reported. From your video it is apparent that the P3 Standard is unaware of an anomaly (since it can't measure actual speed or load) and continues to run without reporting an ESC error.

Reactions: msinger
This was an interesting flight. Before we get into the details I think the cause was an in flight failure of the motor speed control that caused your crash. I.e. the problems you're experiencing now are not the result of the crash. From what I know about DJI they would not invalidate the warranty because you've modified the controller.

Apparently the P3 Standard does not have the same ESC as the Advanced or Professional. Commanded motor speed is available but information about actual motor speed or motor load isn't available.Without actual speed or load the analysis is a bit more indirect and circumstantial.

This graph shows relative Height and total acceleration.
View attachment 47833
The problem started at about time 181 resulting in a steep descent and crash at about time 187.493.

This plot shows the commanded motor speeds for all 4 motors
View attachment 47836
It shows that the left back commanded went to the max value when the problem started. At the same time the right front commanded went to a lower setting. This indicates that the left back lost propulsion and the right front commanded was reduced to compensate. This behavior is normal when propulsion is lost on one motor.

This plot shows that the P3 started to spin when the problem occurred.
View attachment 47837
This also is normal with loss of propulsion in one motor.

Finally, your video showing the motor start was really interesting. The purpose of the 2 motor bursts at motorStart is to test the response of the motors. (Some have speculated that it may be to tighten the props). On a P3 Advanced or Professional the response is evaluated by looking at the actual speed and load values. Any anomaly will cause a shutdown and an ESC error to be reported. From your video it is apparent that the P3 Standard is unaware of an anomaly (since it can't measure actual speed or load) and continues to run without reporting an ESC error.
Alright, thank you for looking in to that! So to get this fixed, is only the motor being replaced going to solve my problem here or is the ESC problematic and needs to be sent in?

Alright, thank you for looking in to that! So to get this fixed, is only the motor being replaced going to solve my problem here or is the ESC problematic and needs to be sent in?

I don't know the answer to that. You could try replacing the motor and see if it works. Personally, I would send it in because I think this is would be covered under warranty. Good luck.

I don't know the answer to that. You could try replacing the motor and see if it works. Personally, I would send it in because I think this is would be covered under warranty. Good luck.
Well I am able to get the motor here by the end of the week but sending it in for repair can take much more time I'm sure. If I were to install a new motor myself and still have issues, is that going go void the warranty assuming I don't touch any other components and put it back together just as it was and looking untouched?

That's a tough one. Maybe some of the more experienced forum members can render an opinion.

That's a tough one. Maybe some of the more experienced forum members can render an opinion.
Well i am also talking on the official DJI forums and the thought of an ESC issue is also starting to be thought of there. I think I am just going to play it safe and start the RMA process as much as I don't want to. Hopefully they will allow me to return just the drone without the controller or just not void any warranties other than the controller warranty if i need to send both back.
Thank you for all the help! I'll see how cooperative DJI will be with this repair.

Reactions: NormanNormal
What a great analysis by BudWalker. It looks like the OP has a very strong case for an in warranty repair. No way this was user error. I am sure at his age monetary expense will be a factor too, so free is great. As tempted as I would be to repair it myself to get it in back in the air sooner, looks like sending it to DJI is the right move.

What a great analysis by BudWalker. It looks like the OP has a very strong case for an in warranty repair. No way this was user error. I am sure at his age monetary expense will be a factor too, so free is great. As tempted as I would be to repair it myself to get it in back in the air sooner, looks like sending it to DJI is the right move.
Yes I would very much like to just replace the motor and be back in the air by the end of the week but since there is still that chance ESC failure could be what's wrong here, taking the drone apart to replace a motor voids the warranty and i can't afford to replace the whole main board so i'm just going to let warranty take care of all of it.
I sent my RMA email to DJI including a copy of that video. Hopefully they won't try to fight me and i can get my drone in the mail by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yes I would very much like to just replace the motor and be back in the air by the end of the week but since there is still that chance ESC failure could be what's wrong here, taking the drone apart to replace a motor voids the warranty and i can't afford to replace the whole main board so i'm just going to let warranty take care of all of it.
I sent my RMA email to DJI including a copy of that video. Hopefully they won't try to fight me and i can get my drone in the mail by Tuesday or Wednesday.
First, I am very sorry for you loss. I would also suggest to take the time to try to repair it by DJI for free. Haste makes waste.
I and others have had good experience with their service. If you try to repair it yourself and it doesn't work, it will take more money and time.
By the description I think your case is covered by the warranty. If it is not, I would do a cross test: interchange the motors to see if the problem is related to the motors or the ESC.
Success and keep us informed :)

Off to a great start with DJI, I sent them 2 messages just answering some basic questions and they set up my RMA right away while live chatting with me. They even sent me a shipping label in less than 30 minutes when they say wait 24-48 hours to get the label. I thought I would be paying shipping myself but looks like not!

Same happened to mine, I had a modded controller, didn't send controller in but the bird was fixed within 2 weeks. Motor failed and bang...68m drop. in those 2 weeks I bought a p3p and got a buyer for the standard ;) Was good as new when i got it back.

Well they got my Phantom on Monday, and scanned it in and provided repair tracking yesterday. Have yet to actually start the repair process, hopefully soon!

Checked my repair progress today and happy to see they have started work on my phantom! Looks like they checked everything over and my repair will be free of charge!

Woohoo. Time to celebrate. Looks like DJI is doing the right thing for once. Congratulations. Good thing you decided to send it in instead of self repair.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31