My first DJI Phantom - your advice please!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning to purchase my first DJI Phantom drone while on a trip abroad (USA), and after doing a thorough research I have a couple of dilemmas I hope you could help me solve:

1. Since my wife is planning to buy a GoPro camera anyway, I was wondering if it's better to buy the Phantom 2 Vision+ with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal (for GoPro) or prefer the integrated FPV Hd Video Camera with 3-axis Gimbal.
2. If the integrated camera is the better solution, are there different versions of this camera? If so, what is best and most cost-effective?
3. In anyway, I would like to be able to watch the pictures/movies in real time on a monitor/smartphone, and saw many alternatives. What is the most cost-effective here?
4. Spare parts - what do you think I should buy with my new Phantom assuming I won't have easy access to spare parts in my home country (Israel)?
5. Any other add-on you can recommend?

Much appreciated!

Pumpkin said:
Hi guys,

I'm planning to purchase my first DJI Phantom drone while on a trip abroad (USA), and after doing a thorough research I have a couple of dilemmas I hope you could help me solve:

1. Since my wife is planning to buy a GoPro camera anyway, I was wondering if it's better to buy the Phantom 2 Vision+ with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal (for GoPro) or prefer the integrated FPV Hd Video Camera with 3-axis Gimbal.
2. If the integrated camera is the better solution, are there different versions of this camera? If so, what is best and most cost-effective?
3. In anyway, I would like to be able to watch the pictures/movies in real time on a monitor/smartphone, and saw many alternatives. What is the most cost-effective here?
4. Spare parts - what do you think I should buy with my new Phantom assuming I won't have easy access to spare parts in my home country (Israel)?

Much appreciated!

1. Since my wife is planning to buy a GoPro camera anyway, I was wondering if it's better to buy the Phantom 2 Vision+ with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal (for GoPro) or prefer the integrated FPV Hd Video Camera with 3-axis Gimbal. Vision by definition has a camera already as part of the device. You cannot add a Zenmuse gimbal to the Vision or Vision+.
2. If the integrated camera is the better solution, are there different versions of this camera? If so, what is best and most cost-effective? Your options for an integrated camera solution thru DJI are the Phantom Vision or putting out more money an purchasing the Inspire.
3. In anyway, I would like to be able to watch the pictures/movies in real time on a monitor/smartphone, and saw many alternatives. What is the most cost-effective here? Really depends on your budget, you can get away with just a couple hundred US $ for an FPV system, but you kind of get what you pay for. Also Vision is ready to do this out of the box.
4. Spare parts - what do you think I should buy with my new Phantom assuming I won't have easy access to spare parts in my home country (Israel)? Personally, I would just buy extra props. I would invest an extra $80 or so and buy a micro quadcopter like the Hubsan because they are the most cost-effective way to learn to fly a quad, much more difficult and therefore once you master that the Phantom is a piece of cake.
5. Any other add-on you can recommend? Get iOSD because it really is invaluable.

Pumpkin said:
Hi guys,

Much appreciated!
:D
Welcome to the forum!
First thing to understand is the Phantom 2 is the bird that flys the GoPro camera. It requires some additional equipment to transmit the video to a tablet or moniter. You can research what the pilots have to recommend on the non-vision forum.

What I would recommend is getting the stand alone Phantom 2 Vision Plus. You only need a smartphone or a tablet/pad that can recieve wifi. The 3 axis gimbal on the P2V+ is fragile so you will want to get a camera guard (uavbits) and a gimbal guard (killerrc). I would also get a backpack (goprofessionalcases) for keeping all your flying gear safe during transport and on your return flight. Depending on what phone or tablet/pad you'll be using, you will want some kind of shade for seeing it in the sun. I use a iPad mini and a Hoodi shade. You will also need an adapter to mount whichever tablet/pad you choose. The phone clip will work by itself on most smart phones if you go that route.
I hope you take time to read the manual and ask questions if you don't understand something. Good Luck!

as a totally newbie here in RC world myself, i was still debating the same question,
i had thought of having the go-pro for other uses, we boat, bike, and do some outdoor
fun stuff that the go-pro might have come in handy with.
after the research i did, the vision plus with the new 14 mp camera seemed like a good
alternative and it was RTF, and the reviews were good.

i do not have FPV and i guess i'm not flying that far yet that i miss it. the weather around these parts
is not great this time of year, so i'm waiting for warmer dry weather come spring for some more lengthy
flights.

started with the Nano QX from Blade as a trainer, and it was a blast... my 27 yr old son just bought one
after playing with mine over the xmas holiday and he fell in love with it.

I was in the same boat.

I have a GoPro and was looking at buying a Phantom. I opted for the Phantom 2 Vision+ for its easy of set up and FPV out of the box. There aren't many limitations with it apart from flying distance. If you wanted to do something long distance then it may not be for you but, for general FPV and drone fun, it's awesome!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.