My First Crash - Pilot Error. But I have a question or two. . .

Reaction score
I was attempting to fly slowly through a 6' wide opening beneath a pergola covering our back patio. I had turned off visual navigation and had it in Atti mode. I thought I knew what I was doing. But of course, I didn't.

I was only about 3 feet off of the ground and as I started to steer through the opening, I had it headed a little too much towards one of the pergola uprights. I then steered the other way and in a hurry it crashed into the wall of our house. To make things worse, we have one little pond of water on our 1/2 acre property and that's where it fell. The only thing that got wet were the front part of both aft motor housings. I quickly shut it down and took it out of the water. I dried it off and it runs fine. When it hit the house, I saw while plastic fly off and I assumed it was part of a prop. But it was both little plastic covers on the top inside of one of the landing gears. I popped them back on and things are fine.

I should mention that when I went to fly the first time after this, I got a warning that my vision system needed to be calibrated, which I did using the Assistant app on my Mac.

My post crash analysis is that I should have had my P4P in Tripod Mode. And that I should have been practicing this maneuver where there was no wall and water. Ah, the learning curve. . .

So my questions are:

1. What are the best settings for maneuvering through fairly narrow openings?
  2. If I had broken or cracked a landing gear, is that something I could order and fix myself?
  3. Finally, did I have to recalibrate because one of the gears had had a good whack?

All in all, I guess if I was going to crash, this is one of the more forgiving ways to have it happen (aside from the water.)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1