Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

My first attempt at panning, any suggestions to make it better?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by passive jay, Jun 21, 2015.

1. passive jay

I did ok but had to watch for trees so it got a little jerky, any suggestions to make it better?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. aheydeck

Practice, practice practice. And when you are done with that, practice a bit more. :)

3. Ti22

Circling while hovering around an object is quite a bit different than simply panning left/right.

As far as panning speed is concerned, I’ve been trying to find improvements too. I’m beginning to wonder if it might be worth changing some gain settings in Naza GUI to slow down Yaw control? Is that even possible?

4. Cacc

There is an elastic contraption that you can buy on ebay that will help with that. Personally I took a plastic membership card, hole punched it, and now my hand is holding down the stick perfectly still instead of relying on your thumb to keep it consistent.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301486176359

Ti22 likes this.
  5. CallMeAlan

That's not panning. I believe it's called orbiting.

Ti22 likes this.
  6. Cacc

You are correct.

Orbiting is circling around an object. Panning is staying in the same place and spinning around. In one the quad is physically moving around the object (the way a planet orbits around the sun) and the other you are staying still and just spinning (getting a panoramic view).

#6 Cacc, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Ti22 likes this.
  7. passive jay

whoops! my bad!

8. Ti22

Nothing bad about learning, my friend.

I didn't realize it's called "orbiting" - thanks for helping us become better informed...

9. Cacc

To be fair, these are just words that someone said one time and they stuck. You wouldn't say that a record is orbiting around center pin (spinning), you wouldn't say a lion is orbiting around a zebra (circling), you wouldn't say a plane is orbiting the airport (holding pattern). At some point in time one person was trying to describe to another person what they were trying to do and "going around the building" just wasn't descriptive enough, so they went with the word "orbit" and we have been saying it ever since...at least that is my take on all these words we use. :p