My FC40 Transformation / 3.6km = 11,800ft FPV

Re: My FC40 Transformation .. 3595m range test video added :

motchjv said:
I mounted the GPS about 2in above the frame and underneath I positioned the grey plastic covered copper shield from original FC40. I also position the compass vertically on one of the legs.

So whats the problem? Well, the compass calibration seems to work OK, plus the GPS is picking up 6+ satellites, however every now and again the LED flashes red/organge which I think means GPS error. When I first take off it hovers OK for a few seconds but then starts to drift off quite suddenly forward and to the right.

One thing I didn't do is position the GPS facing forward, could that be the problem? Problem is, I can't test it out with GPS in forward position until I get another leg for the frame as in the last test one of the legs busted. Be interested to know if the GPS needs to be at the front and pointing forward?

Cheers
John

John ,

u need to do the followings :

1- the GPS needs to be pointing forward .

2- the compass needs to be vertically installed and in-parallel with naza .. if u r using one of the legs then it should be the right/rear leg when lookin' at the quad from the back .

3- go to the DJI Assistant >> Basic >> Mounting and change the Z value .. u'll need to measure the distance between the naza and the GPS and then enter that value in negative . so let's say the GPS sits 8cm higher than the Naza u'll need to change the Z value to (-8cm) .. the same goes for the X & Y if ur GPS isn't centered right above the naza .

regarding the (LED flashes red/orange) this indicates interference .. usually happens if the quad is close to other electronic devices or right above a concrete with a metal mesh .. so do the above steps and take ur quad outside on grass or dirt field and give it a try .

let me know how it goes :)

Re: My FC40 Transformation / 3595m FPV range test video adde

Any updates to how the transformation has gone?

Those are some seriously impressive numbers. Thanks for sharing. :D

IflyinWY said:

couldn't be happier , i've added a multistar 4s 8000mah batt to the mix and am getting around 31-32 mins of flight time .. :)

Can anybody link a video of this build, can not seem to find anything on youtube. Mainly how to fit the gps and the compass module?
HJ450 and SBEC on the way by mail, exited to do this mod!:D

Oyvind

IIVII said:
IflyinWY said:

couldn't be happier , i've added a multistar 4s 8000mah batt to the mix and am getting around 31-32 mins of flight time .. :)

:eek: Dude, I'm speechless. I'm going to have to go back through your build and try to do it. If I can get half your flight times at my elevation 6000 ft/ 2000m, I will dance a jig in a clown suit on top of a mountain, with my new bird taking video.

What's with the 4s battery though? Remember, I don't know what you do.

OEKA said:
Can anybody link a video of this build, can not seem to find anything on youtube. Mainly how to fit the gps and the compass module?
HJ450 and SBEC on the way by mail, exited to do this mod!:D

Oyvind

i've reuploaded the photos .. check the first page .

IflyinWY said:
IIVII said:
IflyinWY said:

:eek: Dude, I'm speechless. I'm going to have to go back through your build and try to do it. If I can get half your flight times at my elevation 6000 ft/ 2000m, I will dance a jig in a clown suit on top of a mountain, with my new bird taking video.

What's with the 4s battery though? Remember, I don't know what you do.

E300 motors + 9450 prop + 4S = magic mix as long as u r under 1400g AUW :)

check out this vid :

http://youtu.be/o9K2V9KqUVg

my fav batt so far is the Multistar 4s 6600mah .. the 8000mah gives ya extra 3-4 mins , but it's alil on the heavy side for my flying style:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

IIVII, excellent work,

I'd like to do the lipo power mod to my controller. Can you make (or point me in the direction of) a guide?

Thanks

plymouthphantom said:
IIVII, excellent work,

I'd like to do the lipo power mod to my controller. Can you make (or point me in the direction of) a guide?

Thanks

i'm away from home on a biz trip until the end of the month , so i can't show ya the actual setup , but here's a quick sketch to give ya an idea of the layout ..

i've used an old AR batt for this mod and double sided tape to secure it inside on the lower half of the transmitter.

hope this helps ..

Attachments

• 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 675

Thanks IVII that's great!

Could I ask, is the 12v switch to isolate the supply for charging?

And what is an AR battery? And what is the mah as I presume size is a factor? Thanks

plymouthphantom said:
Thanks IVII that's great!

Could I ask, is the 12v switch to isolate the supply for charging?

And what is an AR battery? And what is the mah as I presume size is a factor? Thanks

that is correct the 12v switch is to isolate the batt from everything when charging and to disconnect the UBEC from the battery when it's not in use , cuz the UBEC will drain the batt when left connected for few days .. u can also do it without the switch , but u'll have to use a female/male connecter between the batt and the UBEC cable and then hook em up manually through the original batt compartment everytime u wanna power up .

if u wanna power only the transmitter 1000mah would be enough for long flying hours .. but to power both the transmitter and ur FPV equipment u'll need at least 1500-2000mah ..

my current 2000mah batt gives me around 5 hours of use while powering everything on my pilot end that includes the Transmitter/ FPV 2.4 receiver / 7" monitor / DV recorder .

i don't remember the exact dimensions of the batt i installed , but to make sure u get the right batt dimensions u'll need to open up ur transmitter and measure the height from the lower half of the transmitter to the controller gimbals (sticks) .. and if u wanna use a bigger batt u'll have to find something narrow enough to fit between the gimbals .

AR battery = ARDrone battery :).

sorry for the delay .. I've reuploaded the project pix again .. and added couple clips flying in manual mode doing flips, loops and rolls it sure was fun .. :)

Just WoW. :) Freaking amazing.

Last edited:
Last edited:
IIVII - once again thank you for an awesome answer! (with links and everything) :)

May I make one more request? Could you describe your "Transmitter internal battery mod"? If I understand correctly, you're using a 3S lipo (12V) + low voltage alarm to power both the FPV screen and the FC40 contols? But I thought the controls used 6V for 4x AA bats?

May I make one more request? Could you describe your "Transmitter internal battery mod"? If I understand correctly, you're using a 3S lipo (12V) + low voltage alarm to power both the FPV screen and the FC40 contols? But I thought the controls used 6V for 4x AA bats?

that is correct one 3s battery powers everything .. but to connect everything to the same battery u'll need a Y connection coming from the battery .. one cable with 12v connects directly to your FPV equipment and the second cable goes to a UBEC or step-down converter to reduce the voltage from 12v to 6v otherwise u'll burn ur transmitter :)

just like the layout below :

2222-jpg.13977

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20