My FC40 lost it's mind and plowed into the ground. Here's the video.

Reaction score
Not much to add to the movie.

The RED LEDs have electrical tape on them, leftovers from the 4th.

The props do not try to spin on the ground because I performed CSC just about the same time it impacted.
I sure as hell didn't want it going far acting like it was.

I've flown from this location about 25 times, with the 40 and the P1. I am really learning to dislike underground utilities. It's more fun to run into utility poles, if I must crash.

I removed the gimbal after this mishap and the 40 flew just fine. I got the slightest knick on one prop and a small crack under one of the motors. I flew the exact same path over, and over, and over again, with both birds and did not have a single issue.

Thoughts?

Sound in the video is loud and just the props and impact.

Reactions: dirkclod
My question would be if you have flown from this location 25 times without any issues or flew after that's with your 40 and P1 after you took the gimble off without any incidents then I doubt it was a power line. Something must be wrong with the gimble camera combo would be my guess.

Welcome to the party TOPGUN :D

Thanks for your reply. There is something wrong with the gimbal now, it's bent... :eek: Yep after more impacts with stuff than I care to count, it might be toast. It hasn't been abused this year, all crashes were in 2014. I may be able to bend it back into shape, but for $70 I'll probably buy a new one. The gimbal and GoPro combo have been on and off the bird since it was really young, about 10 months now. The only issue with the gimbal has been a bit of leaning left and right for the past month. I guess if the gimbal glitched and sent a gremlin back through the F2 port on the NAZA, that could possibly have made it hiccup.

Another way it could have caused the issue would be to short the main power supply. I have the power leads soldered to the main board at the battery leads. I think my next gimbal will get an inline fuse, if I can find one small enough.

Here's the gimbal I have: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/my-new-gimbal…-oh-what-a-joy-to-connect.25901/

I find it strange how the incident occurred directly over the utility easement. I know they are right there by working with the city on getting some easements abandoned on this property.

I'm happy to entertain any and all ideas why my bird decided to head for the ground acting all whacked out. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik