My Experiences with FPVLR Advanced Kit, P3 [3.5 Mile Video] [UPDATE]

did you need to also mod the P3 antenna to get the FPVLR long range antenna to work?

I really don't understand how it can work with circular polarization on the FPVLR antenna on the transmitter side and the usual straight wires antenna on the P3 side...

Maher

No modding on the P3 side is required.

I don't know how it works, but it definitely does.

EDIT: Also I'm currently uploading the 3.5 mile video.

Last night when I tried to upload it I accidentally grabbed the whole 17 minute file and youtube wasn't able to upload it even after leaving my CPU on for 8 hours. This time I have the right one :p should be up in 30 minutes or less.

Last edited:
Are there any legit before and after tests for this mod?

People have gone 3.5 miles on stock system, so it is unclear what this mod actually gets you.

People have gone 3.5 miles on stock system, so it is unclear what this mod actually gets you.

It got me about 3x the usual range.

Running that same path I had a max of 5200' before the mod.

Tony advertises around 400% increase, which is pretty close to what most people are getting.

Not to mention penetration vastly increased

Was that a screen recording or was that the actual video? Very nice flight !!

yup screen recording from the Nvidia Shield

Better penetration is one of the claims-- especially where there are trees involved. so if you want to fly lower, this would theoretically increase the distance when you have blockages of LOS by trees. Total verdict is not in yet.

It got me about 3x the usual range.

Running that same path I had a max of 5200' before the mod.

Tony advertises around 400% increase, which is pretty close to what most people are getting.

Not to mention penetration vastly increased

yup screen recording from the Nvidia Shield
Thanks for putting up the video!

Why does it say No Signal for so long but you still see the video well enough?

yeah he has them for sale on his website:

you can also just rewire it on site so that you don't use the boosters, so the new antennas connect directly to the controller. that's what I do.

So you're not using the boosters at the moment? ...Just the raw helix antennas plugged into the remote?...And you get the penetration results you've been talking about?

So you're not using the boosters at the moment? ...Just the raw helix antennas plugged into the remote?...And you get the penetration results you've been talking about?

I've never tried using it without the booster/amps.

Someone inquired as to what options were once you use up the battery on the booster, so I told him you can revert to just antennas. But I've never had to do that. I fly all 3 batteries with no issue.

Why does it say No Signal for so long but you still see the video well enough?

I am not sure. My best guess is that it's because my DJI Pilot app, and both the firmware for the controller and P3 are outdated.

I haven't done any updates since I got the thing back in May, and don't intend to. Especially with all the bricked phantoms happening after firmware updates.

FAA/CAA is going to have a field day with all these flight videos out of visual LOS boasting greater distance.

They're never going to be able to regulate things like LoS. Who's the say I couldn't see it out that far?

Plus, currently there aren't any laws in place, just guidelines, probably because they know they won't be able to enforce them.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I'd like to know what the thick tree penetration with low altitude is with this setup?

Can you be a 1/2 mile away at 20-30ft off the ground with a decent amount of trees between you and the aircraft and still operate?

Maybe you should do a test video of that. Seems to be what others have asked.

Thanks

Haha, human anatomy says so. It's generally accepted to be 500 meters or so for things like drones
And of course you can't see it if you're wearing goggles man.

The laws will come, just a matter of time. If people start saying they still had LOS (which is obviously a lie) they will just state that you won't be able to fly a certain distance away from yourself.

Haha, human anatomy says so. It's generally accepted to be 500 meters or so for things like drones
And of course you can't see it if you're wearing goggles man.

The laws will come, just a matter of time. If people start saying they still had LOS (which is obviously a lie) they will just state that you won't be able to fly a certain distance away from yourself.

Even if they come, I highly doubt they will be followed.

I'd like to know what the thick tree penetration with low altitude is with this setup?

Can you be a 1/2 mile away at 20-30ft off the ground with a decent amount of trees between you and the aircraft and still operate?

Maybe you should do a test video of that. Seems to be what others have asked.

Thanks

Yes you can. I'll work on editing a video right now.

Do you want to see signal strength and the other things (ie screen recording)? Or just be able to visually see it?

Because I have footage without the screen record, but I would have to go do another flight in order to prove signal strength and have the distance/etc on it.

Reactions: rigor
OK great look forward to seeing something like that....I think its the penetration through obstacles that's impressive with this setup, not the ridiculous range.
If someone can post a video showcasing it penetrating through trees at low altitude and far away, thats the real seller for this rig.

You rebels. Good luck with that.

Thanks, but I won't need it as it will be impossible for them to enforce any laws on LoS, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20