My experience with the Phantom 2, H3-2D then 3D, so far

Reaction score
I can't believe this.
My experience with the Phantom 2 keeps going downhill ever since the first time I played with it.

- Get it, unbox it, calibrate, fly around in a 20 meters radius, be amazed like a kid at christmas
- Realize you need an FPV system, research all the possibilities.
- Solder, yes this is terrifying but you get it done.
- Realize the stock antennas are crap, research alternatives.
- Get new antennas, put them on, quality/range is great, you think you are all set!
- Realize your copter is not flying straight. Research, find out you are suffering from magnetic declination
- You dont want to move your compass, so you sit there waiting for a fix.
- Then you just go up and down. When going down you realize the copter is doing some terrible rocking, you freak out.
- Research the behavior, realize you are not supposed to go straight down, physics dont allow it.
- In the mean time you pay 600 hundred box for the 3D gimbal
- You receive it, unbox it, only to find that the small ribbon cable is broken. (fortunately another one is included)
- Research the installation, wonder why the hell people make holes in their Phantom
- Realize that there is two types of H3-3d gimbals and two types of Phantom 2
- Come to terms with the fact that you have the fragile type of gimbal, and the original P2, which means yes drilling
- Replace the broken cable, get the right screws and some washer, install. (I have yet to do this)
- Terrible things can still happen since now you are have read all about the H3-3D gimbal.

What really bothers me is to find out about those well known issues well after buying stuff..
All this mess cause I didn't want to be stuck with a stock camera on a Vision.

This might help others, if not well it definitely make me feel better by sharing my pain.

Needless to say I'll be psyched the day it will all work fine considering what you have to go through to get there.

doubleD's said:
I can't believe this.
My experience with the Phantom 2 keeps going downhill ever since the first time I played with it.

- Get it, unbox it, calibrate, fly around in a 20 meters radius, be amazed like a kid at christmas
- Get new antennas, put them on, quality/range is great, you think you are all set!
- Realize your copter is not flying straight. Research, find out you are suffering from magnetic declination
- Then you just go up and down. When going down you realize the copter is doing some terrible rocking, you freak out.
- Research the behavior, realize you are not supposed to go straight down, physics dont allow it.
- You receive it, unbox it, only to find that the small ribbon cable is broken. (fortunately another one is included)
- Research the installation, wonder why the hell people make holes in their Phantom
- Come to terms with the fact that you have the fragile type of gimbal, and the original P2, which means yes drilling
- Replace the broken cable, get the right screws and some washer, install. (I have yet to do this)
- Terrible things can still happen since now you are have read all about the H3-3D gimbal.

What really bothers me is to find out about those well known issues well after buying stuff..

This might help others, if not well it definitely make me feel better by sharing my pain.

Needless to say I'll be psyched the day it will all work fine considering what you have to go through to get there.

LOL. Yep. Pretty much sums it up :) (Minus the delivered-broken-cable...)

I'd probably also add:

- Discover that the hard way that running a VTx EVEN FOR A FEW MINUTES without an antenna will burn it out
- Research how to get rid of props, legs and fisheye in video (2.7k @ Medium FOV is my preferred solution)
- Discover that fast-yaw movements in video produces extreme nausea in viewers (!!)
- Discover that FRAGILE stickers and TSA-certified locks are a must if traveling with the bird in checked luggage
- Discover that people can be very unpredictable in their responses to a flying quad (beware! best to avoid humans if possible!)
- Research what "patch" and "5-turn helical" antennas are and why you can't fly FPV without them very far
- Discover that zip ties are the best idea to hold your gimbal on
- Discover that I know nothing about editing video - then learning (iMovie in my case)
- Discover that for all the great work I've done on the FPV, I get grainy 4:3 video I can barely see in bright daylight
- Discover that a decent HD FPV solution costs an extra $2,000.00 ($1,400 + $600 for a new controller that I have no idea on how to setup and requires programming).
- Realize I really can't afford that right now and need to suck it up with my grainy standard def 4:3 FPV view Boscom LCD 5802 monitor.

But all in all, it's been fun so far and I haven't really experienced what this setup is capable of yet. Looking forward to it though! That's why they call it a hobby, right? :)

Discover that all 5.8G transmitters are not compatible with all 5.8G receivers, even when tuned to the same channel.

doubleD's said:

Are you talking about the antennas on your FPV system or on the RC? I ask because I jus ordered a Boscam setup and got the clover antennas as on upgrade. Should I be worried about magnetic interference?

I am talking about the stock antennas that comes with the immersion RC 600mw and the BlackPearl diversity monitor.

I find the range of the phantom controller to be great.

The magnetic issue I mention after is just related to your geographic location.
You can check the magnetic declination of your location here:
http://magnetic-declination.com/

Welcome to our world! Apart from receiving damaged goods there are three things at play here:

1) DJI advertise this as an anyone-can-do-it-experience. If you decide to stay 100% stock that's mostly true. And, with regard to the cost of entry, a similarly equipped DIY platform like the F450 will cost around the same (and be more work).
2) DJI don't offer the most reliable products and have poor customer service.
3) Once you decide to to go above the stock Phantom and get into FPV, etc., you are leaving the normal consumer world and entering the world of RC which is a complex, inter-disciplinary hobby that means doing lots of research, trial and error, frustration and reward.

I have had many of the same or similar things happen to me. I want to shoot for film/tv so I stick with it despite the many frustrations.

doubleD's said:
I can't believe this.

Yeah I guess I still should consider myself lucky I didn't have any crash or flyaways.

Funny thing though: I was considering getting the prop guards to be extra safe. That would have made my copter heavier and I definitely would have crashed the first time I got caught in my own turbulences when going straight down.

I guess I have a good karma somehow..

doubleD's said:

Hey there doubleD .... I got the different versions of the Phantom 2 sorted out (I posted some into in a thread) BUT I'm having a hard time finding info on telling the difference between the 2 versions of the H3-3D .... can you point me to someplace where you found info .... Thanks

JohnTX said:
Discover that all 5.8G transmitters are not compatible with all 5.8G receivers, even when tuned to the same channel.

This one. There was nothing on this when I bought my set up.

OP, 100% of your topics are covered in this forum.

I know, like I said:
doubleD's said:
But it doesn't make it right.
Never thought you'd have to put so much research before buying.

I mean there should be a warning about the vortex ring effect in the manual. Instead you have to come here.

The H3-3D thinghy really is the biggest BS.
You buy a product that says for Phantom 2 only, great you qualify. If you follow the included instructions to the letter, you are like: wait this will never work.
That alone would qualify for a class action against the company.
I can't believe how many people put up with it. Yeah never mind that I have been cheated, I'll just drill a giant hole in my Phantom.
I for one dont have a dremmel. I just made the hole bigger using a sharp swiss army knife. I never imagined I was paying 600 dollars for that.

Add to that the magnetic declination issue and jeez the pill is tough to swallow.

Gots2HaveToys said:
doubleD's said:

Hey there doubleD .... I got the different versions of the Phantom 2 sorted out (I posted some into in a thread) BUT I'm having a hard time finding info on telling the difference between the 2 versions of the H3-3D .... can you point me to someplace where you found info .... Thanks

From what I have read:
v 1:
Connect to the go pro by the back interface, just like the 2d did. Still powers the gopro

v1.1
Connect using the usb port using the fragile ribbon cable, no longer power the gopro.

More here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15028

"you are like: wait this will never work."

I was totally like that also. When I couldn't put the gimbal on my Phantom without putting that big hole in there I was like what?? OMG! I think a lot of people were like that, too. Unfortunately, this is like what we have to deal with when you get into like DJI stuff. I"m resigned to it and will just have to deal with it. I like shot with my Phantom yesterday for a music video and was rock solid like a tripod.

I have like the 1.1 version and it powers the camera. I was like: cool!

doubleD's said:
Gots2HaveToys said:
doubleD's said:

From what I have read:
v 1:
Connect to the go pro by the back interface, just like the 2d did. Still powers the gopro

v1.1
Connect using the usb port using the fragile ribbon cable, no longer power the gopro.

More here: https://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15028

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1