My experience on cheaping out on parts

Reaction score
So I decided to get the $5 aftermarket prop guards vs the $15 dollar ones. I thought there could be no major differences. Both semi permanently attach a clip base to the bottom of the motors then the actual guards snap on/ off. Both come with a retention string.
Difference is that the more expensive version
Has a notch on the underside of the guard-middle slat- to keep the string in place. The cheap version did not. I thought no big deal, I'll just drill a hole to keep the string tight on the middle slat.
Well it didn't work!!! Upon landing and force pushing up on the guards, the string got tangled on on motor sending my P3S into a slow spiral directly to a concrete pad. Smashed the landing gear, broke the gimbal mounting plate, ripped the panel antenna connections at the gimbal, and ripped the gimbal ribbon cable from the gimbal.
Be aware when purchasing
9be31eb931f06f11e91c2f17eac94cec.jpg

Prop guards are only necessary when your flying close to stuff, I never use mine bc the wind all ways blows it around

Oh dear.Looks like an expensive repair,may even be better to get a new one, and keep the smashed one for spares. Thanks for posting,but I never use prop guards. Good luck getting back in to the air.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it seems. About 60$ in parts and I should be back in the air. I'm skipping the prop gaurds and just replacing the gimbal plate, antennas, landing gear, and damping set. If all goes well the main circuit board and the gimbal are good. Also I'll be painting or dipping the shell while its apart.
79c801af485110b6a72d6fdaf85d3bdd.jpg

Good news that you might get away with only a USD 60 cost.

Possibly the plastic the guards were made from was also of a lesser quality, thus giving too much flex. (Later) Looking closely, the ones you have/had, they seem smaller in cross-section than the ones I have, again giving the same result.

I have 2 sets of prop guards loitering in a bag somewhere,... I used them a couple of times when I first started flying then decided that I, personally, preferred to fly without them. But I left the mounts on and (touch wood) so far I have no cracks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl