Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

My escape plan from P2V+ to P3

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Josh Curtiss, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Josh Curtiss

So here's what I'm thinking about doing. Haven't done anything yet. Give me your thoughts on what you would do.

Just got into the hobby this spring with an $800 eBay auction P2V+ v3 with 3 batteries (few other goodies). Last month I accidentally won a cheap auction for a P2V+ (no camera) for $265 then snagged a working camera/gimbal to put on it for $298.

At first I thought about recouping the money on the accidental drone, then I thought about keeping it as backup and/or for the wife.. Then the P3 Standard came out. I know there's always a brief window when a new product comes out and the less-sharp customer base picks up on it. I thought it may be a bright time to try to sell both Phantoms on Craigslist for $700-$800, buy a fresh P3P and pocket a few bucks.

Why P3P? As my artistic and professional ambitions increase, I'm desiring lightbridge for my display and the 4K for better video quality. This approach seems like a smooth way to get there.

What are your thoughts?

2. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Do it while ya can Josh as the prices seems to just keep dropping !
    We getting left behind with our P2's
    Gonna keep mine to have one but want to upgrade also .'
    Just my thought :cool:

3. macsoft

If you want to get serious, you will need 2 drones. One always as a backup.. stuff happens during important work.
    You can always put a gimbal and a gopro on a P2V+ like I did and get the 4K.

WildEMT likes this.
  4. RoyVa

Really depends on what your needs and pocket book are. Life is short I say do what you heart says.

5. Josh Curtiss

Thanks for your responses. :-D I figure on craigslist I'm a little more safe because I can set the price and only go with it if I can get a decent price. Plus I don't think people in my area are very on the ball with figuring out what the "best" price is. Seems to be a lot of impulse buyers on craigslist.

It's a good point about needing 2 drones if working professionally. That was originally why I was just going to keep the second one, figured it was a great deal on my spare. It's hard to pass up this turn in the road to the P3's though. And I can always buy a spare as earnings come in.

6. RCFantom

I just lost my 2nd, and it is nice having 2; I don't think the standard P3 has lightbridge (I oculd be wrong though)...

7. Brent10

True, the P3 Standard does not have Lightbridge.

8. Josh Curtiss

Yeah, like I said, I'm shooting more for the P3P, or P3A as minimum..