Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

MY DRONE DID A FLYAWAY HIT A ROCK AND FELL IN A LAKE!!

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by jcR8, Mar 5, 2016.

1. jcR8

I CANT BELIEVE MY DRONE TOOK OFF, I COULD NOT CONTROL IT. I HELPLESSLY WATCHED IT FLY ITSELF DIRECTLY TOWARDS A CLIFFS EDGE HIT THE ROCKS AND FELL INTO A LAKE BELOW. WORST FEELING WAS WATCHING THE DRONE SINK. WHAT A WASTE OF $$. I GUESS THIS IS CALLED A FLYAWAY. ONLY OWNED IT 2 MONTHS, BUT I HAD FLOWN OVER 30 FLIGHTS OR MORE. RECOVERED IT ABOUT 2 MINUTES LATER AFTER FREE DIVING ABOUT 30 FT DOWN TO GET IT. ANY HELP WHAT I CAN DO?

2. Shep

Don't turn it on whatever you do. Search the forums, there is a post with lots of good information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. alokbhargava

You need to dry it thoroughly before using it. Lake waters usually don't have salts or corrosive minerals. Try your luck. Lens drying may need skills.

4. tcope

Please don't YELL your entire posts.

5. With The Birds

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

It seems you are dealing with fresh water so chances of a recovery are good...

Start here or any other of the numerous threads you will find searching the forums.
    Repairs to Phantom

There are plenty of youtube tutorials on dissasembly also.

While you are waiting for things to dry out consider uploading your flight log from the GO app to Healthydrones.com and we will see if we can help you discover what went wrong.

It may be a DJI warranty job.

6. With The Birds

Would have been helpful to know the additional detail.......

7. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Phantoms don't usually just fly away.
    It would be helpful to work out what happened and learn from the exercise to prevent it happening again.
    You haven't given much information to help solve the mystery.
    Are you able to explain exactly what happened?
    Go to HealthyDrones.com and follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
    Then come back and post a link to the HD analysis and perhaps someone will be able to shed some light on this puzzle and give you an idea of whether you might have a case for a warranty replacement from DJI..

8. SimonH78

If you did'nt have any control how did you take off - did you not try flicking into ATTI mode? - Did you wait for confirmation to take off...??

9. Mark The Droner

From his description, he may have never launched it. Maybe he just started the motors? Or maybe he did launch it and was hovering. I've seen a ton of videos and I've heard of this kind of thing happening but it's rare, and I thought it really only applied to older crafts. The aircraft goes through its startup and then waits for satellites, gets the satellites, marks its home point. But the home point is incorrect. The home point is marked 14 miles away in error. Then it reassesses it's location and finds itself out of the safe area and so it begins flying back home because it thinks home is 14 miles away. The pilot can't control it because it is programmed to ignore the control signal until if flies back into the safe area.

It's like a one in a thousand chance or less than that.

The fix is making extra double sure you don't start the motors until you know the home point is accurate. Or make your safe area a 100 mile radius instead of a 500 meter radius.

JickMagger, Tony Cowan and henick like this.
  10. Tony Cowan

Sorry for your lost. ****!!! You took a swim to go get it? 30ft down too. HARDCORE!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

dirtybum likes this.
  11. cdronefly

Cliffs = possible GPS problems especially if unit is the standard. As others have said, always carefully check home point before takeoff.
    If you are not really a skilled and conservative pilot, buy 3rd party insurance from Neary Aerials.

12. dirtybum

I'm looking on the bright side, a controller just came up for grabs, cheap, cause i need one!

13. Grae

Sorry to hear that. Crazy. Surely there's no way you can get a drone flying again after its being submerged?!

UK

14. alokbhargava

Other possible error: Are you using a 3rd party app that has a bug in auto take off?

Everyone has talked about home point. Did you really didn't wait for the home point was set?

15. m0j0

I know they are a sponsor but at this point why would you buy insurance for an aircraft that is half the cost of a new one? The insurance would be good for the brand new P4 maybe but not a P3

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

16. cdronefly

I don't buy any insurance myself - my conservative piloting skills and other stuff are my insurance.

BUT, if I was worried about losing the money ($500-$1000) and I wanted more peace of mind, $15 or so a month is not steep.

17. Imabiggles

It was trying to get away from your all caps posts.

18. Rahbarin

I'm selling. A new phantom 3 standard if your interested with a dbs range extender

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app