My dramas with DJI

Reaction score
Hey guys

So just recently I went on a three week holiday from Australia to England. I decided to take my DJI phantom 3 advanced with me. Prior to leaving I did a test flight and it flew fine. When I arrived in England I tried to use it however I had "no signal transmission error" on my iPad air 2. I tried using it on my Samsung S7 but that also didn't work. I ended up spending several hours online to DJI SUPPORT (trying to update firmware, using different SD cards etc) however I was informed that the issue could not be fixed and I would have to wait till I was back in Australia to get it repaired.

So at this point I was quite annoyed at DJI.

I'm now back in Australia and I have sent the bird off to get fixed. A few days after being sent I received a $289 AUD bill to fix the gimbal. DJI wrote in the quotation that the bird is out of warranty.

Let me be the first to say that I have never crashed the drone. I have emailed them back disputing the cost but would like to know what other people's experiences have been with this.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I guess I'm not sure which part you are upset about. Are you still under warranty? Is the repair cost the upsetting part? Is it the poor service you received over the phone?

If you are still under warranty you should fight it out with them. If you didn't crash it, then it sounds like a clear cut case of defect in workmanship or materials, which is the definition of warranty here in the US.

If you're upset about the repair cost, I'm sorry but they have no obligation to provide cheap repairs. Get it back and find someone else to repair it. Or repair yourself.

I guess I'm not sure which part you are upset about. Are you still under warranty? Is the repair cost the upsetting part? Is it the poor service you received over the phone?

If you are still under warranty you should fight it out with them. If you didn't crash it, then it sounds like a clear cut case of defect in workmanship or materials, which is the definition of warranty here in the US.

If you're upset about the repair cost, I'm sorry but they have no obligation to provide cheap repairs. Get it back and find someone else to repair it. Or repair yourself.
Well I have had it now just over a year. I brought the attention to DJI last month. Frustrating part was using up my carry on luggage for an expensive paperweight, not being able to repair it whilst overseas and the final is the repair not being covered.

Did you use a gimbal clamp to keep it safe?

If the warranty period was 1 year and you were just over, I might argue it with them. But it's 6 months isn't it?

Mike

I can understand you being annoyed. Especially after flying all that way.
Is it really the gimbal though? You need to describe the problem you had a bit better. Could you start up? Did you have control?
On my P3P the USB controller packed up on my transmitter. Just went suddenly.

I can understand you being annoyed. Especially after flying all that way.
Is it really the gimbal though? You need to describe the problem you had a bit better. Could you start up? Did you have control?
On my P3P the USB controller packed up on my transmitter. Just went suddenly.
The bird would start up. The gimbal would conduct its movements as it would every time it is started. After a few seconds the gimbal would just go to sleep. The motors would still operate and I'm certain it was just the gimbal with the issue.

I've told them to return it unrepaired. I'm going to sell all my gear with a non functioning gimbal upon its return

All different components have different warranty periods. The gimbal has six months

DJI can state whatever they like but most countries have their own consumer laws. In the UK there is no actual time limit if something is faulty from new. Most things in the UK have a 2 year guarantee but there is also a 6 year period when you can claim for free repairs!!!
It differs from country to country of course but just becuase DJI state 6 months doesn't make that legal.

You say you have tried different SD cards so.it may well not help you however i had this issue. Initialisation on start up (gimble movements) proceeded normally. Several seconds later gimble went limp and transmission error reported. I swapped in a blank SD card and power cycled and all good. If you have treated it nicely you may find you have a SD card or firmware issue. DjI claims to have assesed your AC so ask them exactly what they beleive the issue is.

Are you dealing with the melbourne repair facility? I have a contact phone number for them if you need one (they arent in the phone directory and DJI china seems reluctant to provide the number. I ended up getting good service from them. AC collected in sydney thursday AM and returned following friday with new shell (sent off for cracked motor mount issue).

You say you have tried different SD cards so.it may well not help you however i had this issue. Initialisation on start up (gimble movements) proceeded normally. Several seconds later gimble went limp and transmission error reported. I swapped in a blank SD card and power cycled and all good. If you have treated it nicely you may find you have a SD card or firmware issue. DjI claims to have assesed your AC so ask them exactly what they beleive the issue is.

Are you dealing with the melbourne repair facility? I have a contact phone number for them if you need one (they arent in the phone directory and DJI china seems reluctant to provide the number. I ended up getting good service from them. AC collected in sydney thursday AM and returned following friday with new shell (sent off for cracked motor mount issue).
Hey thanks for the response. I asked them what the problem was exactly and they told me the camera board needs replacing. It is currently at the Melbourne facility. I have still asked it to be returned unrepaired.

Again thanks for the reply.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik