My DJI Repair Experience

UPDATE:

My flight data insinuates that I had some kind of critical compass or possible motor error. Nothing conclusive so I still don't know for sure "what happened". Regardless it simply fell from the sky at 400 feet. Called DJI, got the RMA and immediately shipped it to them the same day as the crash. 3 days later got the email with pictures saying they've received my broken bird and it's "in the cue" for assessment.

Two weeks later to the day of the crash I get an email:
"Upon inspection of your Phantom we found the main board, shell, landing gear, gimbal, and monocular sensor were damaged. The components have been replaced and your Phantom has been updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days." Wow!

Day two and still no tracking number. But I'm surprised and pleased they've seemed to have a sense of urgency as I was told the usually dreaded 8 week turn around time. So... unless this was a baited email and 6 more weeks passes until i get the tracking number, I'm anxiously awaiting so I can post some good news about DJI's customer service. I've sent 3 emails asking what they've determined via the flight data. I'm happy things are being fixed but that doesn't do me a lot of good if the same "thing" happens in a month or so after receiving the fixed Phantom 3. Absolutely no response from any of the emails. We'll see.

Side Note: I'm a little concerned that they've "repaired" 80-90% of a Phantom vs just sending a new one. Hoping my repairs weren't with extra used parts as building/repairing and entire Phantom 3 from the ground up seems counter productive, time consuming and expensive vs replacing something that had so much damage. Again, we'll see.

I have sent them emails (over 10) for three weeks - no answer, called them last week and BAM great service, I would call them and give them your tracking number and ask for the information you want. BTW - after almost a month of emails they responded today LOL. My bird is already in CA getting fixed - at their cost. other than that lack of response to emails, their CS has been very good. Will see how long it will take for me to get it back.

Reactions: bobmyers
My repair (main board, LED light) were repaired and sent back to me. I was so happy to pick it up yesterday. It took exactly 3 weeks from the day they checked it in until it was back in my hands. Free of charge.

I'd like to share my recent experience as well and rather than make an additional post I figured I'd leave it here... So here it is. I purchased my P3P in early July, and got to enjoy approx 25 hrS of flight before developing cracks around the motors. I decided that since I had always had good flights before, never any crashes or hard landings and basically babied the thing since day one, that rather than void my "warranty", I would bite the bullet and send it in, wait and hopefully receive it back fixed. It was sent in September 1st, received the 3rd and I got an email the 15th that it had the bottom shell replaced, and the mainboard due to the horizon issues, it had been updated, test flown and was going to be shipping in a day or two. I was thrilled! I was gonna be back in the air in no time...

Yesterday I got home after work and my package was at the house! I opened it and first thing did a visual inspection of the bird...what do you know..the cracks were fixed...only now there was a huge, completely new one! At the very end of the front arm, where the short hex screw clamps the shell together the TOP shell now had a complete split directly above that screw, and after further inspection, I found that the screw was not even secured. It's basically been over torqued during the repair/reassembly process and allowed to split the upper portion of of the shell, where as now the screw will not "fasten" to the top and instead split the plastic. Had to have been done after reassembly, possibly noticed when test flying and rather than take it apart and do an additional shell replacement, was left that way. Again this is my assumption but judging from the fact that the packaging from fed ex wasn't damaged in any way and there's not any other indicatives of shipping issues, I can't see it being anything else.

On top of that the decals were left halfway on, with the bottoms portion missing, and while it's not a big deal and can easily be replaced, it's a little off putting to see it sent back to be worse than I sent it in. They could have easily applied new decals. But anyways... Lastly, before going to bed I decided I'd put a battery in, just curious, and turned the bird on. I immediately got the camera upgrade and aircraft upgrade alerts. The point I'm making in this is not that it's a problem to do a FW update, but more so that they specifically said they updated it, and being that was 10 days after the most recent update, one would assume it would be most current returning from the manufacture. Maybe I'm just a bit peeved at this point, either way this leads me to the worst part of the experience.

After multiple system hang ups and hold times I got ahold of CS. Gave them my story and was basically given the the typical, astonished apologies and offered that I send it back in... What? This would be my second repair in a month and I haven't even flown it yet. So I started going up the chain, asking for supervisors and ended up getting to someone who claimed they were corresponding directly with management and would be the most capable to settle the situation. After waiting, and multiple failed call attempts I finally received an email from "Peter" and was told after speaking with management and shipping the best they could offer is expedited shipping on the 2nd repair.

At this point I'm thinking, ok your first repair left it in worse shape than it was to begin with, my decals cut up and not replaced, the bird wasn't updated as indicated and now you want to offer me the same service only faster? Would it not make much more sense for me to send the bird in and them issue a replacement, especially considering what's taken place and keeping in mind? I didn't crash it ever, ive flown it only according to manufacturer suggestions and 2 months into owner ship they're offering a 2nd repair? I'd think the multiple trips across the US, multiple disassemblies and manipulation of the internals would be just as stressful on the already weak parts.

Now I know this isn't a typical situation, so I did just that, requested a replacement. That was yesterday...and have yet to hear from them...

Your thoughts?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443025126.331453.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443025136.764817.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443025147.706619.jpg

@beauyoung85,
Wow... Just wow... I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Clearly a junior tech just going through the motions, checking off their repair quota. Clearly DJI currently views this warranty repair business as a necessary evil rather than an opportunity to delight and retain customers. I hope another quad manufacturer catches up with DJI and forces them to get serious.

I've been considering sending mine in for crack repair when the weather turns, but now I'll think twice. I may just buy a shell & do it myself.

Thanks for sharing this.

Update: after more time spent on hold and working my way up to someone with some authority I was offered a refurbished unit with overnight shipping to them of my damaged bird and two day back to me. Not exactly what I was opting for but it was that or another "repair". I'm a single dad with 2 jobs and I really don't have the time to haggle and deal with this any longer so I agreed. Sent it off via Fed Ex a few min ago...we'll see how this next one fairs... Fingers crossed... And before the thread is flooded with comments about self fixes and how I should have went that route...trust me I deeply considered it. I already have a set of the strong arms, epoxy and various other options available, but seeing as how I never even got to fire it back up since receiving it back from the first repair, I felt it was up to DJI to make it right, though that does obviously put me out more time.. O well. We will see.

I'd like to share my recent experience as well and rather than make an additional post I figured I'd leave it here... So here it is. I purchased my P3P in early July, and got to enjoy approx 25 hrS of flight before developing cracks around the motors. I decided that since I had always had good flights before, never any crashes or hard landings and basically babied the thing since day one, that rather than void my "warranty", I would bite the bullet and send it in, wait and hopefully receive it back fixed. It was sent in September 1st, received the 3rd and I got an email the 15th that it had the bottom shell replaced, and the mainboard due to the horizon issues, it had been updated, test flown and was going to be shipping in a day or two. I was thrilled! I was gonna be back in the air in no time...

Yesterday I got home after work and my package was at the house! I opened it and first thing did a visual inspection of the bird...what do you know..the cracks were fixed...only now there was a huge, completely new one! At the very end of the front arm, where the short hex screw clamps the shell together the TOP shell now had a complete split directly above that screw, and after further inspection, I found that the screw was not even secured. It's basically been over torqued during the repair/reassembly process and allowed to split the upper portion of of the shell, where as now the screw will not "fasten" to the top and instead split the plastic. Had to have been done after reassembly, possibly noticed when test flying and rather than take it apart and do an additional shell replacement, was left that way. Again this is my assumption but judging from the fact that the packaging from fed ex wasn't damaged in any way and there's not any other indicatives of shipping issues, I can't see it being anything else.

On top of that the decals were left halfway on, with the bottoms portion missing, and while it's not a big deal and can easily be replaced, it's a little off putting to see it sent back to be worse than I sent it in. They could have easily applied new decals. But anyways... Lastly, before going to bed I decided I'd put a battery in, just curious, and turned the bird on. I immediately got the camera upgrade and aircraft upgrade alerts. The point I'm making in this is not that it's a problem to do a FW update, but more so that they specifically said they updated it, and being that was 10 days after the most recent update, one would assume it would be most current returning from the manufacture. Maybe I'm just a bit peeved at this point, either way this leads me to the worst part of the experience.

After multiple system hang ups and hold times I got ahold of CS. Gave them my story and was basically given the the typical, astonished apologies and offered that I send it back in... What? This would be my second repair in a month and I haven't even flown it yet. So I started going up the chain, asking for supervisors and ended up getting to someone who claimed they were corresponding directly with management and would be the most capable to settle the situation. After waiting, and multiple failed call attempts I finally received an email from "Peter" and was told after speaking with management and shipping the best they could offer is expedited shipping on the 2nd repair.

At this point I'm thinking, ok your first repair left it in worse shape than it was to begin with, my decals cut up and not replaced, the bird wasn't updated as indicated and now you want to offer me the same service only faster? Would it not make much more sense for me to send the bird in and them issue a replacement, especially considering what's taken place and keeping in mind? I didn't crash it ever, ive flown it only according to manufacturer suggestions and 2 months into owner ship they're offering a 2nd repair? I'd think the multiple trips across the US, multiple disassemblies and manipulation of the internals would be just as stressful on the already weak parts.

Now I know this isn't a typical situation, so I did just that, requested a replacement. That was yesterday...and have yet to hear from them...

Your thoughts?

First my heart goes out to you. This is not just unacceptable... it's amateur, pathetic and almost laughable. I hope they get it together and get you back in the air soon. I've been going through that same nightmare myself so I do understand the anger, confusion and disbelief at a company and the way the "do" things. Like mentioned above... post this on DJI's forum. Very best of luck to you and keep us posted.

My saga if you're interested:
Professional - New Battery Error Problem...I'm ready to trash this thing! | DJI Phantom Forum

I had high hopes but DJI drops the ball again. After a 3 week repair my "repaired, test flown and fully fuctional" P3P arrived yesterday. Right out of the re-box, with every official DJI battery I own, the app tells me "Battery Error Please Check" in red. It's intermittent but constant. If it's Red on start up the engines won't power on.

So... off it goes for the second RMA FedEx to California in a month. I'm told my warranty still continues from date of purchase even when it's in DJI's repair hands for however long. Nice.

Way to go DJI.

I had high hopes but DJI drops the ball again. After a 3 week repair my "repaired, test flown and fully fuctional" P3P arrived yesterday. Right out of the re-box, with every official DJI battery I own, the app tells me "Battery Error Please Check" in red. It's intermittent but constant. If it's Red on start up the engines won't power on.

So... off it goes for the second RMA FedEx to California in a month. I'm told my warranty still continues from date of purchase even when it's in DJI's repair hands for however long. Nice.

Way to go DJI.
I feel ya man. Mines on its way there again as we speak.

Way to go DJI.
Before you send it have you tried to recalibrate your batteries? Long shot but might work. Charge to 100% and run down to 5%, then recharge to 100%.

Before you send it have you tried to recalibrate your batteries? Long shot but might work. Charge to 100% and run down to 5%, then recharge to 100%.

I've already shipped it back. But I did deplete a battery to 13% then charged it to Full. Same thing.

I've already shipped it back. But I did deplete a battery to 13% then charged it to Full. Same thing.
Could be a hardware issue then. Something they didn't reconnect to the main possibly??? Who know's but truly unfortunate...

Could be a hardware issue then. Something they didn't reconnect to the main possibly??? Who know's but truly unfortunate...

That's my thought also. It got worse this morning. After receiving the "fixed" bird yesterday - the bats never did their own firmware update so I tried that again thinking, "This has got to be the problem... the battery firmware is one behind the copters!" With the firmware on the SD, I cycling the batteries, AGAIN, one at a time. Not one did the quick LED flashing, beeping update. And then started doing this.....(see vid) Just got back form FedEx for the 2nd RMA shipment to DJI in a month for the same bird.

Last edited:
Mine fell out of sky as well. What number did you call? I have emailed them twice starting 3 days ago and still no response. Any help would be great i miss flying

Mine fell out of sky as well. What number did you call? I have emailed them twice starting 3 days ago and still no response. Any help would be great i miss flying
Email will get you no where. You have to call and get an RMA issued with a pre-paid mailing label.
If you're in the States it's: 1-818-235-0789 then press 3 when prompted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl