My DJI Repair Experience

Reaction score
So I bought my P3A late August. The first day I got it I had it doing an auto land, and it got about 10 feet above ground and just did a quick dive & fell. Of course the gimbal separated.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442342818.329135.jpg

Needless to say I was in complete despair. I had done all the proper updates, calibrated it properly, everything. So I called DJI the next day and set up a repair. Having read in here about the charges some people paid to have repairs done and the 8-10 week turnaround some of you have experienced, I was apprehensive at best about sending it in. To my surprise I got an email from DJI yesterday stating everything that was wrong and that they already fixed it and I would get a tracking number in 1-2 business days.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442342455.550145.jpg

I checked DJI.com and put in my info and sure enough it was Free of charge.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442342530.552763.jpg

I've read a ton of horror stories on here and I imagine the people at DJI have too. I guess they are really trying to improve their customer service & repair times. My first (And hopefully only) repair experience with them has been a pleasant one I must say and I hope more people here in the forum experience the same treatment.

Last edited:
It's mainly the time it takes not the final outcome that has everyone up in arms. Mine is on a fedex jet to DJI for shell cracks as I type, so I'm hoping I have a speedy turn around as well.

Last edited:
Yeah I sent mine in on Aug 27th, they emailed me yesterday so that's almost 3 weeks turnaround, not bad based on the posts I've seen in here.

They did get back with me after I posted the video to there forum . That was a first . They make the best drone in my opinion . If they ever get the customer service straight they will be hard to beat !

Reactions: QuikSilver15
So I bought my P3A late August. The first day I got it I had it doing an auto land, and it got about 10 feet above ground and just did a quick dive & fell. Of course the gimbal separated.

View attachment 30807

Needless to say I was in complete despair. I had done all the proper updates, calibrated it properly, everything. So I called DJI the next day and set up a repair. Having read in here about the charges some people paid to have repairs done and the 8-10 week turnaround some of you have experienced, I was apprehensive at best about sending it in. To my surprise I got an email from DJI yesterday stating everything that was wrong and that they already fixed it and I would get a tracking number in 1-2 business days.

View attachment 30805

I checked DJI.com and put in my info and sure enough it was Free of charge.

View attachment 30806

I've read a ton of horror stories on here and I imagine the people at DJI have too. I guess they are really trying to improve their customer service & repair times. My first (And hopefully only) repair experience with them has been a pleasant one I must say and I hope more people here in the forum experience the same treatment.

UPDATE:

My flight data insinuates that I had some kind of critical compass or possible motor error. Nothing conclusive so I still don't know for sure "what happened". Regardless it simply fell from the sky at 400 feet. Called DJI, got the RMA and immediately shipped it to them the same day as the crash. 3 days later got the email with pictures saying they've received my broken bird and it's "in the cue" for assessment.

Two weeks later to the day of the crash I get an email:
"Upon inspection of your Phantom we found the main board, shell, landing gear, gimbal, and monocular sensor were damaged. The components have been replaced and your Phantom has been updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days." Wow!

Day two and still no tracking number. But I'm surprised and pleased they've seemed to have a sense of urgency as I was told the usually dreaded 8 week turn around time. So... unless this was a baited email and 6 more weeks passes until i get the tracking number, I'm anxiously awaiting so I can post some good news about DJI's customer service. I've sent 3 emails asking what they've determined via the flight data. I'm happy things are being fixed but that doesn't do me a lot of good if the same "thing" happens in a month or so after receiving the fixed Phantom 3. Absolutely no response from any of the emails. We'll see.

Side Note: I'm a little concerned that they've "repaired" 80-90% of a Phantom vs just sending a new one. Hoping my repairs weren't with extra used parts as building/repairing and entire Phantom 3 from the ground up seems counter productive, time consuming and expensive vs replacing something that had so much damage. Again, we'll see.

Last edited:
I was just alerted that mine is on the FedEx truck for delivery to DJI. I'll keep you updated on how long the check in takes.

UPDATE:

Delivered: 09/16/2015 10:11 AM Signed for By: W.BROWN

Reference:

Normal Repair

RMA:

#

Signed for by:

W.BROWN

Delivery location:

CARSON, CA

Delivered to:

Shipping/Receiving

Service type:

FedEx 2Day

Packaging type:

Your Packaging

Number of pieces:

Weight:

9.00 lb.

Special handling/Services:

Print Return Label

Deliver Weekday

Last edited:
Reactions: ins143 and fhagan02
Still no check in but they aren't open yet for today. I was hoping it would be checked in this week.

Still no check in but they aren't open yet for today. I was hoping it would be checked in this week.

Mine was "checked in", photos taken and an email sent to me the day after they received it. (4 days after I shipped it.)

Received my FedEx tracking number yesterday. Should be next Wednesday when I receive the fixed bird. So from the day I shipped it out, to the day I should receive the repaird P3, that's 3 weeks and one day. Not bad all things considered.

Judging by the fact that they replaced and/or repaired 85% of my Phantom free of charge, no questions asked, they're obviously convinced it wasn't pilot error. The flight data can tell them a lot. But they've still not responded to my numerous emails and FreshDesk questions asking what the flight data told them. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they've replace and repaired the broken items - but they're supposed to do this as it's under warranty. It doesn't help much not knowing why it fell from the sky in the first place. I guess I'll hope I'm not posting about "Spiral of Death #2" in a month.

I'm in!

You have received this automated message to inform you that your package has been received and is now checked into our software.

Shipped 2 day FedEx on Monday
Arrived to DJI Wednesday
Sat in warehouse waiting in line on Thursday
Checked into repair system on Friday.

DJI is doing good so far. I'll update as the ticket progresses.

Last edited:
I'm in!

You have received this automated message to inform you that your package has been received and is now checked into our software.

Shipped 2 day FedEx on Monday
Arrived to DJI Wednesday
Sat in warehouse waiting in line on Thursday
Checked into repair system on Friday.

DJI is doing good so far. I'll update as the ticket progresses.
Nice.

DJi Signed For: Monday 9/14/2015
DJi Email: Thursday 9/17/2015

We'll seem how long it takes them.

P3P off horizon and wandering Gimbal.
Everything else 100%.

Reactions: bobmyers
*********UPDATE**********
FedEx just delivered the fixed bird to my house. Wife just called.

So from the day of the crash, to the day the repaired Phantom was received, total time was exactly 3 weeks.

Looking forward to getting home and testing.

DJi Signed For: Monday 9/14/2015
DJi Email: Thursday 9/17/2015

We'll seem how long it takes them.

P3P off horizon and wandering Gimbal.
Everything else 100%.

Update:

Monday 9/22 - Received an email from DJi asking for $65 to be paid via PayPal. I called their customer service number. They found my repair in the system but said they could not tell me why there was a $65 charge for warranty work. They said their systems are not tied into whatever system indicates why there's a charge. She told me to reply to the email asking about the charge and that it could take a week to hear back. Very weird. Note, no other communication was received before the email asking for $65 do I'm not sure if they repaired the P3 and we're waiting for funds from me before sending it back or if the P3 got to a tech's desk and they were waiting for funds before beginning work.

I replied to the email and 2 hours later they said it was a mistake as it is under warranty and to disregard the $65 charge.

Update:

Monday 9/22 - Received an email from DJi asking for $65 to be paid via PayPal. I called their customer service number. They found my repair in the system but said they could not tell me why there was a $65 charge for warranty work. They said their systems are not tied into whatever system indicates why there's a charge. She told me to reply to the email asking about the charge and that it could take a week to hear back. Very weird. Note, no other communication was received before the email asking for $65 do I'm not sure if they repaired the P3 and we're waiting for funds from me before sending it back or if the P3 got to a tech's desk and they were waiting for funds before beginning work.

I replied to the email and 2 hours later they said it was a mistake as it is under warranty and to disregard the $65 charge.

That's sketchy.... Weird. Good luck!

Reactions: QuikSilver15
Has the repair trace system worked for anyone?

I keep getting the message:

The number you entered does not exist, please check it and try again.

Has the repair trace system worked for anyone?

I keep getting the message:

The number you entered does not exist, please check it and try again.
This never worked for me. Same message you're getting. Tried it a few times on separate days.

First few low altitude test flights with "fixed" Phantom. I"m now getting the Red "Battery Error" message. Give me the caution about using non-DJI parts. All my bats are DJI P3 batteries. Cycled all the batteries with latest firmware in the SD to be sure.
Tried another battery that was 100% full with 100% lifespan. Same error. App show battery in red at 0%. Goes away then comes back as I hovered 1 foot off the ground trying to assess things.

Any help is appreciated. Scouring the web now about the "issue".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr