My DJI Pilot states I need to upgrade my RC?

Reaction score
Hi guys from dowunder .............. Got my P3 yesterday after owning a P2 for about 60 days, so some experience but not expert.

Went through the upgrade ********! (Why have they made it so hard compared to the Vision 2+????) ............. now only have one red light stating that I need to upgrade my RC remote? Did the micro card stuff on the remote but never got the blue light? ................... hesitant about taking it for a fly without all the "systems up"

Seems to give me the go ahead flying GPS but need to change the "multiple flight" thing? whatever that means?

Anyone have any ideas? ............... really did follow the whole process very carefully? ...................

Just want to go flying but want it sorted out first? .................. any ideas?

All the best - john

Your post is not very clear. One read light? Where is this "red light"?

If you read the firmware info it's pretty easy. To update the RC, put the bin file on a thumb drive, insert it into the RC controller and turn it on with the Phantom turned off. Wait through the beeps and then turn off and insert the thumb drive into a computer and read the result file.

Reactions: Stephan
I followed the firmware upgrade as per previous occasion, it just did not work.

I have the same issue, I contacted DJI, followed all their instructions and it still failed, sent them required data, they said I need to wait for the next firmware upgrade, mines still states older version. DJI suggested I not fly it.

@tcope's advice is correct...

The latest firmware came out yesterday, is that the firmware you referring to?

Last edited:
Yep ...... I upgraded my Phantom late last night ......... no luck and just frustrated especially when the vision 2 + more or less does it all automatically! I have no idea why they have taken two steps backwards with this?
............ so basically they have sold us something you can't fly until they work out the next firmware (maybe?) ........... can't really put down what I really think.......... would love it if someone has solved this problem with a work around!

I followed the firmware upgrade as per previous occasion, it just did not work.

I have the same issue, I contacted DJI, followed all their instructions and it still failed, sent them required data, they said I need to wait for the next firmware upgrade, mines still states older version. DJI suggested I not fly it.

@tcope's advice is correct...

The latest firmware came out yesterday, is that the firmware you referring to?
Hi Stephen ......... sorry for "the Rant" ......... but the after sales support sucks and one gets the suspicion that this is not an uncommon issue? Did they give you any idea on the next firmware update?

Don't raise your dissatisfaction too much some on this forum, you might be called you names and be told this is what you should expect. Honestly I have no answers. Those who's do work seem fine and they're very happy, others like myself feel they released it too soon... When GoPro comes out, assuming it is equivalent, I wonder how many of us will be still as loyal on their next upgrade...

Hi guys from dowunder .............. Got my P3 yesterday after owning a P2 for about 60 days, so some experience but not expert.

Went through the upgrade ********! (Why have they made it so hard compared to the Vision 2+????) ............. now only have one red light stating that I need to upgrade my RC remote? Did the micro card stuff on the remote but never got the blue light? ................... hesitant about taking it for a fly without all the "systems up"

Seems to give me the go ahead flying GPS but need to change the "multiple flight" thing? whatever that means?

Anyone have any ideas? ............... really did follow the whole process very carefully? ...................

Just want to go flying but want it sorted out first? .................. any ideas?

All the best - john

The problem could be that the thumb drive you are using may not be compatible with the controller. The most compatiable SD card reader is the one on the P3 gimbal/camera (NOT the front of the P3).
Try this (as per DJI instructions).
Unzip and make the bin file is on the root of the SD card (im sure you have done this). Please make sure you have the correct firmware (Advance is now different to Pro).
Use a micro DATA USB cable that you know that can transfer data (ie plug into pc and you can see the SD card when the phantom is on OR the one you fly with). Remove the gimbal clamp. Plug the small micro end into the side of gimbal/camera and plug the larger rectangle end into the remote. Turn on phantom and then turn on remote. Wait for the leds on the remote to go from green to blue (or is it the other way around - I forgot).

Yep ............... you may be right but doesn't make it right? I would have just loved it if I had done "something silly" ............. just frustrated cause I knew that I ad to the software upgrade carefully .............. looked at four or five sites and thought I "had it covered"? .................. obviously not :)

Do you know when the "fix" (firmware) will come out?

P.S: Thanks for the reply
Don't raise your dissatisfaction too much some on this forum, you might be called you names and be told this is what you should expect. Honestly I have no answers. Those who's do work seem fine and they're very happy, others like myself feel they released it too soon... When GoPro comes out, assuming it is equivalent, I wonder how many of us will be still as loyal on their next upgrade...

Hi Stephen .................... this is the fix! Took me 5 minutes, straight forward and working perfectly now. Thanks for your replies ....................... all the best - John
upload_2015-6-17_14-3-0.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers