my DBS Itelite antenna install and test..

Reaction score
Got my antennas Friday , packaged very well and the bracket looks awesome. I love the quick disconnect option so the controller will still fit in a factory style case. I personally use the Manfrotto backpack myself.

I've never modded a phantom prior to this, I have expierence in the RC car world so I had the tools needed. Install took about 30mins. Could probably do it again in 20 or less. Very simple very straight forward. I did do a few things different than the install video but same ending result.

When taking the com cable off I decided it was easier to remove the 3 Philipps screws holding the board down to make it less stressful on the cable when using needle nose to remove it. Also makes it a hell of a lot easier to put the cable back on when done.

I haven't done a long distance flight, I was more interested in longer range at lower altitudes, I live in the bay area California I have the Marshlands right behind my house. On my stock p3 I was getting low signal at about 2000ft at 200ft altitude, I have alot of signal congestion in my area. On my first test flight this morning I was able to go 3200ft at only 211ft altitude. Much much better didn't even lose a single bar of signal.

I plan to do some longer range stuff during the week. But I can already tell this is far improved from stock. I say for 110$ you really can't go wrong.
20150724_154957.jpg
20150724_160737.jpg
20150724_160930.jpg
20150724_163354.jpg
20150724_163959.jpg
20150724_163418.jpg
20150724_165836.jpg

You not worried putting the cables like that in the TX will bind your controls ?
Thought I saw somewhere here they showed going under the board with them.

Got my antennas Friday , packaged very well and the bracket looks awesome. I love the quick disconnect option so the controller will still fit in a factory style case. I personally use the Manfrotto backpack myself.

I've never modded a phantom prior to this, I have expierence in the RC car world so I had the tools needed. Install took about 30mins. Could probably do it again in 20 or less. Very simple very straight forward. I did do a few things different than the install video but same ending result.

When taking the com cable off I decided it was easier to remove the 3 Philipps screws holding the board down to make it less stressful on the cable when using needle nose to remove it. Also makes it a hell of a lot easier to put the cable back on when done.

I haven't done a long distance flight, I was more interested in longer range at lower altitudes, I live in the bay area California I have the Marshlands right behind my house. On my stock p3 I was getting low signal at about 2000ft at 200ft altitude, I have alot of signal congestion in my area. On my first test flight this morning I was able to go 3200ft at only 211ft altitude. Much much better didn't even lose a single bar of signal.

I plan to do some longer range stuff during the week. But I can already tell this is far improved from stock. I say for 110$ you really can't go wrong. View attachment 25860View attachment 25861 View attachment 25862View attachment 25863 View attachment 25864View attachment 25865 View attachment 25866

Thanks for sharing. I recently did a range test in Alviso Ca out in the slough and was able to get 5,110ft(just shy of a mile) but that was just my stock set up. I could only imagine what id get with that set up.

let us know how it goes...

You not worried putting the cables like that in the TX will bind your controls ?

I was at first. So I put it all together and tested the sticks I feel zero interference with it so I'm not worried about it now.

Reactions: dirkclod
I was at first. So I put it all together and tested the sticks I feel zero interference with it so I'm not worried about it now.
Looks a lot easier your way !!

Reactions: Fplvert
Thanks for sharing. I recently did a range test in Alviso Ca out in the slough and was able to get 5,110ft(just shy of a mile) but that was just my stock set up. I could only imagine what id get with that set up.

let us know how it goes...

Stock Ive seen over 10k feet no problem. I did this mod more for penitration and lower altitudes distance flying.

The shortness of those cables wouldn't permit running under the board by the looks of it

Stock Ive seen over 10k feet no problem. I did this mod more for penitration and lower altitudes distance flying.

Problem with people comparing distances / range is it's not like comparing Apples to Apples. Stock setup in one location might be at little as 3k feet while in another location using the same Phantom 3 may get triple that. It's all location location location. And the biggest factors reducing range from one location to the next is how much radio interference is near you, or where you may be flying through. That and obstacles that would force you to fly very high to maintain clean line of sight to fly long range. For me the point of doing any mods to the Phantom 3 is not so much for uber long multi mile flights, but to give me the additional penetration I need to fly at least 1km to 1 mile in heavy interference areas. I find the foil (Wind Surfer) style foil add on does that adequately enough and for little to no cash if you're making one yourself which is easy enough.

Yeah I post in another thread about penetration and I'm still not seeing it with the DBS mod where I am.

Yeah I post in another thread about penetration and I'm still not seeing it with the DBS mod where I am.

Add a 2.5 or 3 watt Sunhans amp if you want more penetration. Regardless any decent directional antenna is going to give you more gain and longer range then just using the stock omni directional. Of course the WindSurfer will too. It wouldn't surprise me if the DBS antenna only offers a little to modest gain over just popping on a pair of windsurfers to the stock antennas. Bottom line is There's only so much you can expect with regards to adding significant additional penetration through objects. If you want to fly long range you really need to keep things line of sight meaning no obstructions between your RC and the Phantom.

I plan to do some longer range stuff during the week. But I can already tell this is far improved from stock. I say for 110$ you really can't go wrong. View attachment 25860View attachment 25861 View attachment 25862View attachment 25863 View attachment 25864View attachment 25865 View attachment 25866

I did the exact same thing when I installed mine on Friday. That ribbon cable is so much easier to remove once you unclip the side ribbon cables and unscrew the 3 screws and pull the board out. Totally eliminating any possible damage to the cable.

Good job!

Can you please post a link to the install video that you mentioned? The install video that I found on the DBS Website says its for the inspire 1, and the person installing mentions some of the steps he is doing based on the application of that particular customer and the dual transmitter setup. Is the transmitter the same as the inspire 1?

I did the exact same thing when I installed mine on Friday. That ribbon cable is so much easier to remove once you unclip the side ribbon cables and unscrew the 3 screws and pull the board out. Totally eliminating any possible damage to the cable.

Good job!

Could you please elaborate, what side ribbon cables to disconnect and the 3 screws to pull out? Have my setup on the way but want to go the easiest route possible.

Thanks!

Nice job! What size drill bit did you use on the RC?

Could you please elaborate, what side ribbon cables to disconnect and the 3 screws to pull out? Have my setup on the way but want to go the easiest route possible.

Thanks!

Sure. When you pop off the rear cover for the USB board, you will see the board. Dead center there is a wide ribbon cable, it is fragile and easy to rip, even with very thin surgical needle-nose clamps, grips, pliers, you name it. It's a taught cable and I didn't want to deal with it. Each side of that board has two very small ribbon cables, very easy to unclip. I let those loose on each side and removed the three black screws that hold that entire board down. Let the center ribbon cable loose by flipping the bar that holds it down on the connector. Once you remove those screws, the entire board just lifts right up, changing the angle for you, making it much easier to simply pull out the wide ribbon cable that is in the center of the board.

My point is that if you remove the 3 screws in that housing, you will set free the board and allow for the ribbon cable to pull right out after you pull up on the bar which secures it. If you don't, it's much harder and you apply pressure to the cable from the side and you can easily cause damage. Hope this helps. You will see what I mean once you open up the back cover for that module.

Floridian400-
Same install as inspire except you don't have the extra step for the other antenna the inspire uses. Just skip the step. Easy install- don't sweat it

Reactions: 400ftFLORIDIAN

DBS's video notes it is fine to install the cables over as they are rigid enough to stay up and over anything underneath.

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20