My Carrying Case

Reaction score
Decided to go with a Pelican 1620. Can pack the Phantom with props and camera attached.

2013-01-19_16-11-50_HDR.jpg

More pictures here.

Plenty of room to grow. 3 Levels of foam. I can set it up for a simple practice fly, a video shoot or a trip (room for charger, ten extra batteries, all my GoPro gear, tools, spare parts and my iPad).

This is pretty much how we packed up the robots and Raven UAV our infantry company took to Iraq. Waterproof and has a pressure release valve in case you travel to an area at a different altitude and can't get the case open due to partial vacuum seal.

I can carry it with one hand easily but it has great wheels and a handle for when I'm lazy. Fits in my trunk perfectly.

$200 on Amazon Prime.

I love the case.

I bought this one..Think this will due for now.

Regards
Bjorn

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,563
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,591
Thanks, I think I will order one soon. They are currently back ordered till March, but Looks like a great deal.

Im with the pelican 1610. I also made space to pack some camera equipment to bring along into the field for shoots.

kDHqUrq.jpg

Surpluscenter.com has used cases for $9.99 plus shipping. They are 26"x18"x10" and are used. I think I am going to get one.

Brian

Ksc said:
New flyer said:
Has anyone found any cases out there that are less expensive?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-14355

coupon code and shipping brings it to $46 or buy 2 for $71 and put a DJI sticker on the second and sell it for $80 on ebay

THIS

seriously I don't understand why you folks are dropping $150+ on a hunk of plastic all for the name brand of pelican. Sure it is waterproof and indestructible but am i ever going to completely submerge my MCM case underneath water? No. It will withstand a monsoon though. Am I ever going to drop my MCM case off the empire state building? NO, but it will handle bumping around in the trunk of my car just fine.

I found a cheap case at Walmart $10 for a Sterite 1841, made in the USA. Does anyone know a cheap source for the foam? It is about the size of a Pelican 1600. The cheapest I can find is about $60. I am trying to save money to get more batteries. Thanks.

I saw this company featured at CES. Their website allows you to design custom cases. They also let you design cutouts for foam only. I haven't tried them but it looks interesting And neater than pick & pluck methods.
They also have a library of Device measurements that you can drag and drop into your design.

I'll have to see if somebody has input the measurements for a Phantom.

http://www.mycasebuilder.com/

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
Ksc said:
New flyer said:

coupon code and shipping brings it to $46 or buy 2 for $71 and put a DJI sticker on the second and sell it for $80 on ebay

THIS

seriously I don't understand why you folks are dropping $150+ on a hunk of plastic all for the name brand of pelican. Sure it is waterproof and indestructible but am i ever going to completely submerge my MCM case underneath water? No. It will withstand a monsoon though. Am I ever going to drop my MCM case off the empire state building? NO, but it will handle bumping around in the trunk of my car just fine.

I purchased the go pro case simply because of the precut hard foam that won't fall apart. Ive had bad experiences with the softer foams in the past and just didn't want to deal with it.

arinvideo said:
MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
Ksc said:
New flyer said:

THIS

I purchased the go pro case simply because of the precut hard foam that won't fall apart. Ive had bad experiences with the softer foams in the past and just didn't want to deal with it.

Is have to agree. I bought and TRIED to use a case virtually identical to the MCM case. After forming the pick and pluck foam for all my phantom 2 vision gear the **** thing looked like a mess.

Make no mistake. It's the high quality polyethylene precut foam we're paying the big bucks for. The pick pluck foam is nasty nasty stuff. It was falling apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you modify the precut foam? Every time I change something on my phantom I have to adjust the cutout--add fpv, add monitor, adjust gimbal, add more batteries, combine batteries, add a tx lanyard holder/monitor brace, add larger props, change landing gear, add LEDs, add go pro batteries and charger... pick foam makes it easy to create customized spaces for new stuff, and you can even save what you pluck out and close up old holes you don't need. I haven't tried the precut stuff but how customizable is it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's certainly not as flexible as the pick and pluck in that you can't plug holes back up. You can certainly cut it though.

The pick and pluck deteriorates very quickly with use. I found every time you try to pull the gear out of the case you had to hold the foam into place with your hands or else it would all rip out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this video with mycasebuilder.com. This may be worth it if what he states is true about paying a small fee to be able to mod your saved design if you mess up ( or want to add something-hint) and have them ship updated foam at no additional cost. Foam looks to be high quality too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOMaOmcwfY

FYI - I don't work for them nor have I ordered anything from them yet. Just seeing if someone wants to take the plunge before me. ;P

Mycasebuilder.com for a 20.5x13.5x12 was $164 not including cutouts. I guess i will order pluck foam for a pelican. Mcelecttins last i checked was back ordered till march. The next best deal seams the surpluscener.com $10 +$22 sh. Foam is precut for something else.

New flyer said:
I found a cheap case at Walmart $10 for a Sterite 1841, made in the USA. Does anyone know a cheap source for the foam? It is about the size of a Pelican 1600. The cheapest I can find is about $60. I am trying to save money to get more batteries. Thanks.

Home Depot carries tons of soft foam sheets (white in color), 3in thick, cheap too. They are not pickNpluck but you want to tight fitted your gears anyways. I just picked up a few sheets for my pelican 1600. Im going to cut them soon using an electric knife from Walmart for $10 along with a can of 3M or Loctite foam adhesive spray. Here's the template that i will be using.
http://www.plaber.com/pdf/HPRC2700PHA_HPRC2700WPHA.pdf

Btw, Home Depot also carries the hard foam also, the kind that features on MyCaseBuilder site.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav