My Best Buy Experience with P4P

Reaction score
So, I bought a P4 last week from my local Best Buy in Brooklyn and decided to return it for a P4P. The P4 developed ESCs errors at 1st extended flight, and I didn't want to have to go through additional issues with it. Got the P4P box home, excited at the upgrade. Well, that lasted for about a minute....

See pics for yourselves.

I guess they added those metal plates for weight..

I actually had to Google Promark VR.

I immediately called Customer Service (store closed at 9m) and gave customer service rep an earful; was advised to take it back to store for a refund. At the store, the "manager" was adamant that I should call DJI and sort out; that they sold me a P4P period!!. Well, I had to call BB Corporate Customer Service. Long story short, I will be shipping this box back to BB for a full refund (and NEVER shop at this store again!!!!). Note to self: always check your sealed box at store before leaving.

The sealing on the box indicates a separate tape was placed over the original tape; I found out after the fact.

My sense is that between DJI and Bestbuy, someone is getting ripped off. I personally do not care, just putting the word out...so someone else doesn't find him or herself in this position.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow.
Somebody scammed BB?

Never heard of this before.

Wow.
Somebody scammed BB?

Never heard of this before.
The box does have a (valid?) S/N. Perhaps if they activated the P4P, DJI would know. I will be sending them all the info (pics included) I have on this.

Reactions: ftttu
Yea. Definitely do what U can.
Curious how this pans out.
Thanks.

I've seen people who return ps4s to Walmart that is actually just the box with a brick inside hoping they won't check, or make it look still sealed.

Yea. Ive heard of such scams just not a specific sub like this.

We've had the same exact situation occur in years past with returns. One instance I can remember was a Phantom 2 Vision+ was purchased, buyer chose to return as it was "no longer needed". That unit came back into our warehouse the next day, all retail packaging was intact, retail sleeve was placed nicely around the inside carton, all looked brand new. Luckily our staff checking in returns that day decided to open up the inside carton even though everything appeared completely like new. The unit that had been returned was a Phantom 1. Everything for the Phantom 2 Vision+ had been removed from the carton and substituted with a complete Phantom 1. Needless to say the gentleman was charged with return fraud by local authorities and both the original Phantom 2 Vision+ along with everything he subbed ended up back in our hands.

To the OP, @ebi718, locate the serial number on the drone you have received, contact the manufacturer to have them locate the vendor to which that unit was originally shipped. Depending on the manufacturer, the vendor should be tracking all serial numbers for which they sell and can trace to whom that unit was sold. You also have the S/N of the P4 Pro that was removed from the box and DJI can investigate the location of that unit along with the DJI account to which it was activated with.

Best of luck and I'm sorry you had to be involved in such a situation.

I don't doubt that retailers occasionally get returns that are dubious, etc and so make sure they are properly checked at turn in. My returned boxed had everything, including the SD card. The lady actually checked.

Anyway, I have the S/N, UPC # of the Phantom 4 Pro (off the box) so will be sending all info to DJI. Hopefully they can do a trace. Updates to follow.

Thinking about it now, I think it makes sense to check your box at the counter after paying, just to be rest assured it's all there, cos it's all so easy for them to say otherwise after you leave the store.

Reactions: Advexure and N017RW
Right after Christmas I bought a P3S from Bestbuy. The gimbal motor was dead and I exchanged it for another one. When I did the exchange, I was in a long line at BestBuy. They were opening and checking everyone's package. They even opened up a sealed ethernet switch from the guy in front of me in line. When it was my turn, they just took the box and told me to get another one from their camera department. They never opened my box. Weird.

See pics for yourselves.

I guess they added those metal plates for weight..

Wow!. That's amazing. I would be really darned upset (a forum-safe term :rolleyes:) if that happened to me. Bummer that this happened to you, but thanks very much for sharing.

Reactions: N017RW
Bestbuy or any other vendor should not be giving you a returned item as new, regardless of the condition. Anything that has been sold before is no longer new.
My guess is the previous shady buyer returned it as "unopened" and the lazy employee didn't bother to check if the original seal was in place.

For those interested, this happened at Bestbuy @ Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn.

Reactions: N017RW
Last time I returned something to best buy I had to sign something and they checked my ID. This guy likely just got himself in a lot of trouble. Serves him right.

Last time I returned something to best buy I had to sign something and they checked my ID. This guy likely just got himself in a lot of trouble. Serves him right.
You're absolutely right....that's standard procedure at most stores ( based on experience at Sears, Target, etc). So we'll see how this shakes out.

We've had the same exact situation occur in years past with returns. One instance I can remember was a Phantom 2 Vision+ was purchased, buyer chose to return as it was "no longer needed". That unit came back into our warehouse the next day, all retail packaging was intact, retail sleeve was placed nicely around the inside carton, all looked brand new. Luckily our staff checking in returns that day decided to open up the inside carton even though everything appeared completely like new. The unit that had been returned was a Phantom 1. Everything for the Phantom 2 Vision+ had been removed from the carton and substituted with a complete Phantom 1. Needless to say the gentleman was charged with return fraud by local authorities and both the original Phantom 2 Vision+ along with everything he subbed ended up back in our hands.

To the OP, @ebi718, locate the serial number on the drone you have received, contact the manufacturer to have them locate the vendor to which that unit was originally shipped. Depending on the manufacturer, the vendor should be tracking all serial numbers for which they sell and can trace to whom that unit was sold. You also have the S/N of the P4 Pro that was removed from the box and DJI can investigate the location of that unit along with the DJI account to which it was activated with.

Best of luck and I'm sorry you had to be involved in such a situation.

Way off topic. But, has your company ever thought about giving phantom members a discount? You are one of the better companies from what I have seen.

Reactions: Advexure
People try those scams everywhere, a sad commentary but it happens. I have found Best Buy to be more diligent than most (usually inspects package at counter, gets ID of person making return, etc.) and such an issue with them is fairly rare. With regards to 'I'll never buy there again!' , well, every vendor has some percentage or errors and if you hold to this eventually you won't be buying anything anywhere from anyone.

I don't blame you for being pissed at the inconvenience but I think you can be confident that Best Buy will make it good.

Way off topic. But, has your company ever thought about giving phantom members a discount? You are one of the better companies from what I have seen.

Appreciate the positive feedback and thanks for sharing your insight. Over the years we've offered many special promotion opportunities to members of the PhantomPilots forum and will always continue to do so when possible. Unfortunately DJI pricing policies are rather restrictive regarding what we can and cannot do but PP members can always be assured we do what we can as a long-time support and sponsor of the PP forum.

Safe and happy flying! :cool:

That really sucks bro i hate scumbag people who do that type of stuff it looks like they even cut the props off so it would fit in box!!!

That really sucks bro i hate scumbag people who do that type of stuff it looks like they even cut the props off so it would fit in box!!!
Yup, I actually chuckled at that one when I saw the props shaved off.

Reactions: ftttu and Advexure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan