My beloved P3A

Reaction score
When I pre-ordered the P3 the last year, I couldn't belive a better quad could reach the market in a short time.
The P3S and the P3 4k somehow confirmed what I thought: the P3P/A was already packed with the best technology available, and to offer new models DJI could only lower the specs. After all, the P3 was really a step change from the previous generation: 4k video, improved optics, lightbridge, VPS... a lot of stuff more.

But after one year, the P4 arrived on the market. 4k resolution by default (I'm a "poor" P3A owner), that's great. faster craft, impressive. longer battery life, wow.

Now: do I envy those new P4 owners? Sure I do, but...

But, one whole year has gone and my P3 has 130 hours flight time only (I don't have much time to fly). I still find myself playing with the manual settings of the camera trying to catch the best shot (after all the P3 is a flying camera, not a racing drone). The videos I've filmed so far still don't meet my "cinematic" expectations (in terms of camera movements).

My P3(A) was my first serious quadcopter. It is now old stuff already, and still I know I have lots more to learn, to fly, to film with it.
I bought it to explore a different perspective to shoot pictures, and a complete new world suddely opened to me.

I still love my quad.

Dedicated to my beloved P3A.

I just ordered a brand new backup bird PSA aircraft only including props and battery for £489 DJI online best bang for buck.

Reactions: Andrea
just got a p3a i don't think in any way it is outdated see a lot of problems with p4 more flight time people report no better range people report no just cause its a new model doesn't make it better if you never had a drone before then you would think its the greatest i still love flying my standard as much as my advance
2016-03-25 16.52.31.jpg

Reactions: Andrea
For sure not convinced of longer battery. Sure they advertise it. But many said they got less than 15mins on the p4. Maybe it will be as advertised with some software updates.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

For P3 owners there isn't that much to entice you to get a P4.
You already know how to avoid crashing into walls and such?
The other features are somewhat gimmicky and can be achieved by using alternative apps.
Plus we are hearing the battery claims are disappointing in real world, and range probably rather less...
I'm actually tempted to stockpile a spare discounted P3 as it does everything I realistically need.

Assuming the main purpose is video and photos, buying a P4 won't make any worthwhile improvement.

For P3 owners there isn't that much to entice you to get a P4.
You already know how to avoid crashing into walls and such?
The other features are somewhat gimmicky and can be achieved by using alternative apps.
Plus we are hearing the battery claims are disappointing in real world, and range probably rather less...
I'm actually tempted to stockpile a spare discounted P3 as it does everything I realistically need.

Assuming the main purpose is video and photos, buying a P4 won't make any worthwhile improvement.
Wise advice

Just joined the P3A club too. Upgrade from the P2 + H3-3D and miniOSD. The new features from the P2 to the P3 is huge for me. I don't really need to spend the money to get a P4, though there are some features that would be nice but it seems the P3A will do everything thing I want, take some nice footage and have everything onboard and working. The only thing I miss with the P2 is the easy way to switch from GPS to ATTI with IOC, it was two switch flips (GPS to ATTI and (Normal to Course Lock or Home Lock). The new way with the P3 seems fiddly with using the app. Looking forward now to the maiden flight now that I have everything updated after unpacking the box.

Reactions: peterepeat69

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj