My apologies to DJI

Excellent advice and thank you for taking the time to write it.

Let me add three more cents!
The remote control bug bit me last year. I have two antique model planes. One is a 17-year-old foamie that looks like a 737. It has two fans hung under the wing and there are no control surfaces - I think it climbs by default (and glides by default) and turns by literally slowing down a motor on one side so the other side gets "slewed" around! Never had it in the air. Another antique is an old (12 years) parkZone J-Cub - operates on 27 MHz - it's been flown several times, including into a tree!

Then I have a powered glider (eFlite Radian) and an eFlite Apprentice. It didn't take long and the RC bug turned into a drone-bug. Now I have a real tiny micro (damned near unflyable indoors and totally unflyable outside if there's even a hint of a breeze!), a Blade Nano that I can fly all over the house, a Blade 350 QX3 that's pretty decent and the Phantom 3 Pro.

When the drone-bug bit, it wasn't because I wanted to race them. it wasn't because I wanted to do flips, banked turns and fly faster than Evel Knievel - I wanted the aerial camera platform. Not because I'm a professional photographer - I'm a rank amateur and have been for many years, but I enjoy it and I relished the thought that I could get a perspective from "up there" that only someone who spent a small fortune to rent a helicopter could get. It gives the rest of us a perspective we might never have had before.

And now to my point - are you still there LOL?

Fly your Phantom like it's your first-born up in the air holding the camera! Treat it lovingly, caress it, gently slide it over that canal you find to be so pretty, comfortably over that nasty, huge tree overhanging the water. Don't EVEN think about getting too close to that tree. If it looks like it's too close for you to get under that tree limb IT PROBABLY IS!

On the other hand, if you want something that will let you put the petal to the metal, stomp on the throttle and soar up to 400 feet faster than Iron Man, fly half a mile away with your heart in your throat, thinking this is better than a roller coaster (geez - cue the music!) - then maybe you should find something where you can remove the gimbal, remove the camera and start boring holes in the sky. Better yet, start snooping around on the numerous commercial sites and put together the necessities to build your own quad. One of the beauties of building your own - when you crash it, you'll know a lot about what makes it tick and have an easier time rebuilding/repairing it!

Enjoy.

172xp. Hawk XP. Sorry. I sold the thing in 1995 - 20 years ago. But I still remember the tail numbers perfectly. N6057K. You can look it up on the FAA site.

Naw, that's what friends are for. Thanks Dirk :D

I do appreciate you clarifying, but you didn't have to go all out. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers