My 2nd flyway with 1st flight of phantom 2 v2.0 WTF?

Reaction score
This was my first post when I was just having RPM problems:

OK three hours on this one and I'm tapping out! Any help would be appreciated. YouTube only shows props on backwards and top cover installed sideways which is not the case here. This bird has never flown yet. All updates and calibrations have been completed twice. It is in Naza-m mode to enable the IOC. I had this FPV system on another P2 and it worked all fine. Everything has checked out. Bugs worked out of the gimbal. The gains have not been messed with. The distance limits have been messed with and placed in miles with a 2 mile ceiling and 3000K mile circumference of operation. (To stop a wrong GPS fix on start up "Glitch" To cause it to take off wide open not coming back(Fly away) as it's trying to go into where it thinks it's home range is which is what happened to me before) Compass cut off the old leg and placed on a wider taller set of landing gear.

Powers up all vitals show good on the iosd-mini, but it comes up just above an idle on full power. Almost lifts off but does not. Am I missing a calibration somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
Jeffro from Illinois

Phantom 2 v2.0
Black Pearl 7 ch
600mw Immersion
Fat shark Spiro's + long distance directional
Dimuse 3d Gimbal
Gopro3+
http://s298.photobucket.com/user/mccue7 ... ow/Phantom

This was my 2nd post about an hour later. I combined both of these into the FLYAWAY Topic!

Unbelievable. I recalibrated everything. Took it back out. Once again low RPM's. I noticed when the left stick was in the center positition it was at it's lowest rpm. Down would make it the rpm's raise. Left and right (with the left stick) would cause the rpms to slightly raise. After seening that I knew something was messed up so I stopped it. Went to shut the motor's off and it took off straight up wide open about 100 feet. Put it in atti and down sticked it and it fell like a rock back down, before it hit I tried to turn it back on gps and I think it did but it hit the blacktop and bounced back up hit the garage overhang (thank goodness) and fell back down again. Surely it's not the compass?? It's calibrating fine.

Busted up my GoPro for the second time broke two props and it's still brand new! (My last p2 flew great for 20 flights then on start up just like this but a different location flew away and on manual mode it dropped out of the sky to it's death.)

Video will be forthcoming if I can extract it! I can't believe this! Video coming shortly. So this is my 2nd flyaway with two different Phantom 2's!

When you're hooked to the assistant... What mode is the controller in? Your descriptions makes it sound like controls are reversed??

When I tried to shut it down I put both sticks to the inside and down. I'll hook it up now and see. Thanks! But...I shut it down this way previously and it shut off fine. Checking now though.

Jeffro said:
When I tried to shut it down I put both sticks to the inside and down. I'll hook it up now and see. Thanks! But...I shut it down this way previously and it shut off fine. Checking now though.

Sound more like you have a reversed throttle in the assistant software but then to start the motors the left stick would go up and right while right stick would be down and left

It says "mode 1" right now but it changed all it's settings on impact. The compas doesn't show up at all. It was in Naza mode now it's not. So I don't know if i'll ever know but what I would like to ask is.....

The left stick controller before it took off. Center was idle. Down was higher rpm's than idle, up was also higher rpm's than idle but like down they weren't enough to take off when maxed out.
But... Both left and right didn't have much power but they seems to twist the PH2 each in opposite directions and acted like if I would have gave it full throttle mught have tipped over but it was still no where max rpms. So any direction from center with the lft stick caused an increase in RPM's? really weird isn't it? For me I had this thing all done up right too, I was kind of proud of it, too bad it couldn't have flown when it should and not flown when it shouldn't. I am twitterpaited!! Parts rolling around inside it's pretty busted up.

Before the accident!

jason said:
Jeffro said:

Sound more like you have a reversed throttle in the assistant software but then to start the motors the left stick would go up and right while right stick would be down and left

That's understandabe but they started just fine in the lower inside positions and when returned there a minute later it took off and when returned to center it kept going. But the left stick increasing in power which ever way you take it from center? That still baffles me?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Blank software photo show nothing, Now photos of the software with the phantom plugged in would reveal more.

So many issues here. I'll make a list:

• There is no home position flyaway "glitch". That's a red herring.
  • If you moved the compass, I hope you put it back in exactly the correct orientation.
  • No second set of green flashes and a single red flash means course lock but no home lock and only 6 satellites.
  • When trying to take off, your gimbal was making that humming noise. Is it a GoPro 4? If so, you need to balance it.
  • When advancing the power, it didn't take off because you didn't give it enough power. More power!
  • When you gave up, you turned the controller off (you can see the fast yellows) and the Phantom went into RTH.
  • You brought it down hard in ATTI.

One more:

• You made a lot of changes before your first flight. This is a bad idea. Fly it right out of the box. Make sure it works. Change one thing. Fly it again. Make sure it works. Make another change. Fly it again. And so on.

ianwood said:

• If you moved the compass, I hope you put it back in exactly the correct orientation.
  • No second set of green flashes and a single red flash means course lock but no home lock and only 6 satellites.
  • When trying to take off, your gimbal was making that humming noise. Is it a GoPro 4? If so, you need to balance it.
  • When advancing the power, it didn't take off because you didn't give it enough power. More power!
  • When you gave up, you turned the controller off (you can see the fast yellows) and the Phantom went into RTH.

+1

I think your controls are in reverse and maybe in mode 1.
The pics don't show your phantom connected.
You need to be a bit more transparent if you want us to assist.

ianwood said:

ianwood,

Thank you for your input, you are quite knowledgable.
1) The flyaway glitch you know best in that area, I only repeat what I've read and watched from other people.
2) The compass is put back square tight and in the same place as the original. It is however farther away from the ground with the taller landing gear.
3)Lights, You are correct, I checked on the dogs, looked inside then back at the Phantom and saw the green flashing lights checked the black pearl, and the iosd said "7" satellites and when with that. I just wanted to hover it 3 feet from the ground tonight.
4) GoPro 3+, when I bench tested the gimbal it was smooth and after the recalibration with no noticable humming.
5)In the begining of the video, that was max power at the start(left stick straight up), it would not RPM up. It had more power with the left stick going sideways in center position.
6) After it hit the ground and took back off wide open and hit the overhang of the house (I had both sticks down) it only came back down because as it was leaving again when it hit the overhang.
I did turn the controller off as a last resort as both sticks being in the down position and it was still wide open trying to fly away.
7) Yes it did come down hard. I had both controllers in the neutral in Atti. When it was still above the rooftops I tried to put it back in GPS in hopes it would get smart and respond. When it didn't I'm guessing I was late on the decent as it may have been coming down too fast in Atti and it was already going back into wide open in GPS, maybe that's why it took back off again after it hit the blacktop.
8)I have the assistant 3.6 plugged into the PH2 with the power on and it show's zero's

Ian given all my shortcomings is there still any reason it would not power up with the left stick straight up to the top, then have more Rpm's when the left stick was straight down than when in the center neutral position. Then please try to relate how it can have even more rpm's when the left stick remains in the center and and is moved to the left or the right? How could I possibly make this happen. Pushing both sticks to the center and down position causes it to go out of control and take off when it wouldn't before? I understand I may have made some errors, but causing it to take off I just can't comprehend. Befor I moved the compass I read that if it doen't get put back straight up and down it can cause a very slight drift when hovering. Can it really cause it to take off when placed in the shut off mode? Thanks Ian for taking the time to watch and comment!

Ding ding ding we have some winners!!!

Thanks everyone so much for all your input!!

Jason and Buckeye you were right the controls were in reverse.-reason- my fault when I was messing with the gimbal that wasn't working reverse made it work much better. I never took it back out.

Mr.C. it was in MODE 1 and not MODE 2.

And Mako shooting 100% with both correct answers, wrong mode and controls reversed. Took it out and it flies like a champ.

I guess the flyoff was the left controller sticking down as these new V2.0 controllers are made to do. Since it was reveresed it was wide open? Wonder why it started up fine though?? Weird. I never put the sticks to the top to start the motors. They started just fine in the normal positions.

Anyway it's flying!! (It doesn't have my confidence though!!LOL) Thank you guys so much!! I'll start nursing it back into health.

Jeffro from Illinois!!

Jeffro said:
Ding ding ding we have some winners!!!

Thanks everyone so much for all your input!!

Jason and Buckeye you were right the controls were in reverse.-reason- my fault when I was messing with the gimbal that wasn't working reverse made it work much better. I never took it back out.

Mr.C. it was in MODE 1 and not MODE 2.

And Mako shooting 100% with both correct answers, wrong mode and controls reversed. Took it out and it flies like a champ.

I guess the flyoff was the left controller sticking down as these new V2.0 controllers are made to do. Since it was reveresed it was wide open? Wonder why it started up fine though?? Weird. I never put the sticks to the top to start the motors. They started just fine in the normal positions.

Anyway it's flying!! (It doesn't have my confidence though!!LOL) Thank you guys so much!! I'll start nursing it back into health.

Jeffro from Illinois!!

Sweet :) Glad we could help! and glad you're in the air. Make sure you check everything over (since you crashed) do an advanced IMU calibration and re-calibrate your compass. It was really helpful having the video footage because that would have been hard for you to accurately describe in words.

once you switched everything back - do you still have that weird sound?

Checking stick calibration in the assistant before flight would reveal mode issue. That does explain not having enough power.
Your gimbal is humming because you have an ND on there without a counterbalance.
Despite the number of people who buy into it, there is no evidence to support the home point flyaway glitch. False conclusion.
Compass further away from the ground is fine.
If you get no data in the assistant, you may have a driver issue.
Never turn the controller off with the propellers turning unless you are testing RTH.

ianwood said:
Never turn the controller off with the propellers turning unless you are testing RTH.

and even then, it's better to configure the S2 switch to be RTH in the lower position and NOT turn off the RC. :)

(saying this to everyone, not just ianwood)
why have your P2 and RC completely lose touch with each other when you can test the function AND maintain live control of the craft at all times?

this can be configured in the Assistant software

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers