My 2 cents on installing retractable landing gear on phantom 2v+ V3

I added an Arduino nano and an ultrasonic sensor looking down. I programmed the Arduino to lower the gear when it sees something less than 3 feet away. That part of it works great. It's when it is 100 feet up and the gear lowers and raises on it's own that is driving me crazy. False triggers. The ultrasonic sensor is "seeing" prop wash and triggering. I even have it looking 4 times in 2 seconds and if the 4 answers match, lower the gear. And it still does it. I am almost ready to get some feathers and glue them to the gear so it looks like a bird flapping it's wings. haha it's not that bad but it is starting to piss me off.
I have a switch on the outside of the quad to turn on and off power to my landing gear. The other day I was filming my Uncle's house. I tried to hover it at about 5 feet while I reached in to turn off the gear. That was fun, almost got my fingers in the props several times.
I am still trying to get help and teach myself c+. And I am going to try a short tube about 1-2" long around the receiver, trying to "aim" it more. Failing that I will add a second sensor and compare results. Never say die! I'll get this thing if it kills me. haha and it might.

The compass - I located mine in the arm that came with the kit but I didn't like the way it all fit so I did it my way. I have the arm pointed down. I think this is backwards of the original kit. I super glued the arm to a servo bracket on one of the hinges, and tie wrapped the compass in place. It sits about 2" from the quad's body and in the same orientation as I found it. I mounted it near the front right leg. I put a picture on here somewhere. I don't have any compass issues, well, no more than before. I have discovered that my compass needs motion to get a heading. If I hover I can watch the compass spin and flip on the ap but once I start moving it gets a heading right away. It has always done this to me and to me this is normal. I tried de-goussing and I even replaced the compass and it comes back to this. I noticed it in Dashware a few months ago and freaked out for about a month while I figured this out.

Question for anyone that bought this kit: was this stuff made on a 3d printer? How strong are these hinges? They seem pretty tough, almost like they were made out of some kind of nylon or PVC.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl