My 1st FPV - Not great

Reaction score
Wow, how do you guys do that??

I tried my first true FPV flight the other day and was so freaked out by it I didn't want to say anything, but went to a more open area today to try again and geez, WTF.

All I wanted to do was turn my head to see more and I had no (I mean ZERO) concept of my height. I had a spotter there to reassure me about height but without him I'd have bailed almost instantly.

The weirdest thing was when I asked him if he could still see the quad and he said, very casually "yea, it's directly behind you at about 500m distance". For some reason my bearings freaked and I had to turn round, which is totally without sense but it made me feel better somehow.

The other thing which happened was that as I was flying around a bit I made the quad pass from left to right, behind me, and when I heard it go by I again became disorientated for a bit because I guess subconsciously I thought it would pass from left to right but I was facing the other way so it went the other way, that actually gave me a momentary pang of nausia :shock:

I don't see me ever getting used to this. :( Are my experiences in any way normal?

:lol: only this weekend just gone I was showing friends the FPV , both felt very ill after wearing the goggles an one mate nearly fell over :)

For myself I find myself always looking down towards the ground ? Guess concentrating so much , but what make it easier for me is as I'm in a wheelchair I'm sat down so no falling over etc :lol:

Worst thing if I crash I might not be able to get to it if I'm on my own :roll: :)

Yes marcus, I remember my first fpv... I was so disoriented that I couldnt wear the googles more than 30 seconds worried about my phantom.
But you'll get used as much as you practice with fpv.
Practice, practice, practice... That's the secret! Like everything in this world!
Enjoy it!

marcus_canada said:
Wow, how do you guys do that??

I tried my first true FPV flight the other day and was so freaked out by it I didn't want to say anything, but went to a more open area today to try again and geez, WTF.

All I wanted to do was turn my head to see more and I had no (I mean ZERO) concept of my height. I had a spotter there to reassure me about height but without him I'd have bailed almost instantly.

The weirdest thing was when I asked him if he could still see the quad and he said, very casually "yea, it's directly behind you at about 500m distance". For some reason my bearings freaked and I had to turn round, which is totally without sense but it made me feel better somehow.

The other thing which happened was that as I was flying around a bit I made the quad pass from left to right, behind me, and when I heard it go by I again became disorientated for a bit because I guess subconsciously I thought it would pass from left to right but I was facing the other way so it went the other way, that actually gave me a momentary pang of nausia :shock:

I don't see me ever getting used to this. :( Are my experiences in any way normal?

This is the best post ever!!! Never been under goggles but your description was epic.

I remember when I first start to get my interment license in planes. Brought back so many memories. But 8000 hrs later, Im good.

E

I had my best FPV flight yesterday using goggles. It helped a lot to lean against a big hay bale as I also felt unbalanced. It helps me to have a "target" on the ground to fly around, not just a big open space with nothing to provide visual orientation. Yesterday, for example, I was in a huge hay field and couldn't tell if the Phantom was in front of me or behind me -- but in another field I use there are tiny ponds and a road across the middle. Those features help me orient myself and the Phantom.

I was so disoriented when first using FPV that I switched to a monitor. But, on a bright day I now prefer the goggles as they block out the ambient light.

Also... I find that I can maintain a clearer image by turning my head as the quad turns. This is undoubtedly because of signal blockage as the quad turns -- play around with that but again, sit down or lean against something, as it will likely make you feel unbalanced.

Before gyro assisted stabilization I used to hang out of helicopters and shoot. I got air sick on several occasions just looking through the viewfinder of the camera. Not sure Im up for goggles. Would like to find someone close to borrow a pair for a few days. Hate to buy them then find out I cant use them.

E

I don't have good balance -- if I were to turn my body at all quickly in a 360 I'd feel quite dizzy. For me, the trick to flying FPV goggles is to make slow deliberate maneuvers. This is what I want to do anyway, as I'm using the Phantom for photography, not acrobatics or thrills.

+1 for sitting down when wearing goggles.
It is quite disorienting at first but after a few flights it becomes more comfortable and less of an out of body experience.
I find when I'm flying with the goggles on my stick inputs instinctively become much lighter than when flying without them,and my flight videos are much smoother because of that.

Sorry to hear it was difficult. Hopefully it will come with practice.

I don't know. It was really easy for me from the start. Just felt like I was playing a video game in front of a TV screen at home. Which I have had lots of experience with growing up. Playing video games that is.

My father on the other hand had the same disoriented sensation you have. He doesn't like the goggles at all.

Couple tips that might help.

#1 - Wear ear plugs. That way you won't be able to hear the quad and it's stereo location from where you are.
#2 - Wear headphones - Buy some cheap $8 headphones that plug into your goggles. That way you can hear the quads audio directly.
#3 - Sit down - I know other have said this but it does help sometimes if you need it.
#4 - Do not fly in HL or CL mode - This should be obvious but I talked to a friend that was having problems. Turns out he was flying FPV in HL mode. Eeeeek. No wonder he could not see where he was going.
#5 - Buy a 7" LCD screen - Maybe goggles just won't be for you. Try buying a 7" monitor and attaching it to your transmitter or a tripod. That way you can easily look at the screen when you want to, then quickly look away and directly at your quad when need be.

Stick with it man. It sure is fun when you get the hang of it. I just wish the goggles had better resolution and FOV. I have the Attitude SD's. Their just not as immersive as I was hoping for.

Check out my vids! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmykp1zHGI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBAyNbk1cUs[/youtube]

Jeff

I'm a private pilot and have to admit, navigating a manned aircraft is just as disorienting. The big difference it that you see a bit more because you can turn your head quicker than a gimble or turning the aircraft. Things from above do not look the same as they do from the ground so it's really easy to get turned around. It just takes getting used to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1