must read for all

I think that's why they didn't specify distances. People have differing eyesight, some sUAS platforms are larger; wide open, flat areas are easier to maintain LOS than those with obstructions; changing topography, etc.
Yes, But like I said in post # 11 of this thread. Your GPS log is recorded by the app, then sent to the DJI's flight log cloud. This is just one method the FAA will use to catch you in violation of the rule. Remember! The human eye can only see a certain distance and judgment of distance based on both eyes. Anything outside of that usually is FPV. Can you even see your phantom 2 to 3 miles out?
The FAA knows this as well. Be aware. Monday, we will see the truth.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
so until Monday go for distance runs

Reactions: Drone Master
That would be a good test! Are you going to go for it?
Hehe, me too! Just hope it don't cost me $1200 for trying! LOL:cool:
how are they going to catch people not flying vlos going to be hard for them unless it falls out of sky and does some harm

Reactions: Mikepoo
Nope. Just pilots in the US flying for money, or wanting to sell their pics/video... Commercial flying.
As long as you fly within the regulations for recreational flight you are good.

Don't need to test but should review the regulations.

Nope. Just pilots in the US flying for money, or wanting to sell their pics/video... Commercial flying.
As long as you fly within the regulations for recreational flight you are good.

Don't need to test but should review the regulations.

how are they going to catch people not flying vlos going to be hard for them unless it falls out of sky and does some harm

Keep in mind that Part 107 is the beginning not the end. The FAA has stated they plan to modify the fly over (non participating) people law allowing it at some level in the future. No doubt they will make allowances for FPV Fum/practice/competition flying.

So if your flying FPV in a field/back yeard not bothering anyone, interfering with airspace/wildfires, or god forbid hurt someone, they probably won't catch you. But if you annoy someone or fly in a no fly zone,... something that would get you turned in then local law enforcement may intervene. The FAA has developed guidelines, and has special agents for local and state law enforcement agencies.

It's a long read but worth it if you are interested in what the FAA is telling state and local governments.
Speech – "Utah Drone Symposium"

As for me. I will trudge on as always obeying the regulations trying to present a safe positive example to the public that has mixed views on our hobby.

Well....if FPV (tablets/phones) becomes a part 107 requirement, I may just have to leave the hobby. Waiting on my P3A purchase until its clarified Monday.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Having a screen such as a tablet to view the camera shot is fine as long as you can look up and see your drone. And you do while flying (moving) it to ensure you don't fly into something/someone.

Keep in mind that Part 107 is the beginning not the end. The FAA has stated they plan to modify the fly over (non participating) people law allowing it at some level in the future. No doubt they will make allowances for FPV Fum/practice/competition flying.

just don't know until Monday what they are up too

Thought I would post this for all to review: Keep our sport safe and with minimal regulations.

Aeronautical Knowledge Test

One very important step you have to take is to obtain your remote pilot certificate. Under the new rule—also known as Part 107—the person actually flying a drone must have a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating, or be directly supervised by someone with such a certificate.

To qualify for the certificate, you must either pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center or have an existing non-student Part 61 pilot certificate. If you are qualifying under the latter provision, you must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and must take an FAA UAS online training course. The Transportation Security Administration will conduct a security background check of all remote pilot applications prior to issuance of a certificate.

The FAA has posted extensive materials, including a test guide and sample questions, to help you prepare for the knowledge test. You can review the materials by clicking on the “Knowledge Test Prep Part 107” button at www.faa.gov/uas.

You also can watch a short video about the knowledge test here: https://youtu.be/v-d1RuTFvbs.

just don't know until Monday what they are up too
I understand you wanting to wait till Monday the day after tomorrow. But what the new regulations are have been published for months. They don't just change things at the last minute. They do a proposed rule change, they have public discussions,..... when they finally decide they announce it and release it for everyone to read months before it goes into effect.

Part 107 has been in the works for over a year. and the FAA has shown and stated it willingness to create laws allowing the usefulness of drones to flourish while at the same time keeping the airspace safe for everyone.

What drone operators may not know but most every pilot does know is that most of the current regulations were written in blood. People died and the rule was added or changed to help prevent it from happening again.

The US has the most complex airspace in the world. With more private air craft flying around than any other country.

Mike

You go online - study - take a test and are awarded your certificate. Just go to the site I listed above to get started. Register and then you'll be all set.
Oh by the way if you are not already opening the B4UFly app it is good practice to get into. It notifies the nearest airport you are flying, times and location. Just a safe practice tip.

Thought I would post this for all to review: Keep our sport safe and with minimal regulations.

Aeronautical Knowledge Test

One very important step you have to take is to obtain your remote pilot certificate. Under the new rule—also known as Part 107—the person actually flying a drone must have a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating, or be directly supervised by someone with such a certificate.

For commercial flights only. Hobby flight is under Part 101.

Reactions: cfd701
uav forecast app is way better than b4ufly app

Reactions: cfd701
I guess your missing the part about using goggles you have to have a 107 which shoots down people flying racing drones for fun

I guess your missing the part about using goggles you have to have a 107 which shoots down people flying racing drones for fun

I must have missed that regulation. Can you give a link to the FAA web page or pdf doc that says this?

As I recall, 107 is not a blanket grant allowing you to fly FPV it allows you to apply for a waiver permitting it.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Part 107 offers two ways to fly FPV - with a visual observer or via waiver. Hobby flights under Part 101 do not.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl