Must calibrate compass EVERY flight?

Reaction score
Hi, I've only been flying for a month or so but every time I start up my P3A, the compass calibration button is lit up solid white so I recalibrate even if in the same place as yesterday, or after changing batteries in the same place today. Yet I see people who say don't calibrate unless you move 30 miles. What am I missing?
How does the controller or App tell me calibration is necessary? Nothing in manual.
Am I supposed to calibrate the compass when the light is solid white? Does it blink when I'm supposed to calibrate? Thanks

Thanks. How will I know when the App wants me to calibrate? Is there a message, a warning, something flashes or beeps?

If you are getting a message saying that compass calibration is necessary, it sounds like you are trying to launch in an area with an increased magnetic field due to proximity of iron or steel. Are you out in the open, away from cars, manhole covers, concrete with reinforcing etc?
Once you have a good calibration you should be able to fly safely without recalibrating every flight.

I used to calibrate my P2 before every flight a long time ago... but then I learned.

Every time you calibrate, you are erasing perfectly good settings and starting from zero and increasing your chance of screwing something up. If the compass is fine, don't try to fix what isn't broken.

The app tells you if it needs calibration.

When I take off, I also hover for a little bit to make sure it' is not drifting in a circle/similar - which would be a compass issue.

Reactions: snowghost

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20