Mr Batt on Amazon: 3rd party Phantom 3 battery review

Posting the files is great, but could you post the .txt extension . Now this only applies to as long as you are using GO app version 2.8.3 and before.
I have DJI Go 2.8.1 for my flights (i test on latest DJI Go, but don't "fly" with it), attached are 3 of the logs. I can't find the first one and cant spend more time hunting in the hundreds of logs.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-09-04_[09-36-06].txt
    483.1 KB · Views: 213
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-09-06_[17-14-00].txt
    1 MB · Views: 202
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-09-06_[19-45-39].txt
    1 MB · Views: 213
Thanks for the logs, and for the time you have spent finding them! Btw, one small issue, all 3 files are with the same battery.

Those three are the third party battery I need to find regular batteries always play with externals will post later

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I haven't spent anytime looking over the logs due to thinking it was oem dji battery.

At this time my guess these 3rd party batteries are from a Lot(a quantity of stock batteries) of some type of 2nd hand stock batteries. Based on the voltage characteristics throughout the flight I briefly scanned over, has them appearing as though they have dji's newer battery firmware installed.

That is very nice of you Digdat to not only try these out, but then post a review. That is time consuming and I guess risky to a certain point. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Good stuff.

Reactions: Digdat0
Here's 5 flights, which I think are 1.8 firmware and regular batteries. Its hard to find, cause all of my flights anymore are with external batteries. These are different flights, should be different batteries and not this third party battery.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-04-10_[16-08-06].txt
    645.5 KB · Views: 276
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-04-16_[12-46-41].txt
    611.8 KB · Views: 191
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-05-05_[18-40-03].txt
    285.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-05-06_[14-40-09].txt
    220.7 KB · Views: 184
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-05-09_[10-20-33].txt
    386 KB · Views: 193
That is very nice of you Digdat to not only try these out, but then post a review. That is time consuming and I guess risky to a certain point. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Good stuff.
Cheers man! I love quad copters, and i got a comp'd battery which enables me to share knowledge with the community. Win, Win!

So whats the census, the batteries are good? My concern is though when DJI releases another update after 1.9.

"If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.” j. ruskin

So whats the census, the batteries are good? My concern is though when DJI releases another update after 1.9.
I've flown the battery a half dozen times, I'm comfortable with it working well. I do not plan on upgrading my firmware, or version of DJI Go. So, i feel good about running this. I also just got another 3rd party battery to test, will share more on that next week. I do still think the price point is too high though.

Reactions: dtviewer and MX DAD
Here in the UK, a genuine dji battery retails at £125, the 3rd party ones on ebay from china are around the £65 mark, less than half the retail dji price. I was very tempted, yet the fact that dji locked out the older ones swayed me from buying one, even though I run litchi sometimes which would allow it to fly. I did however manage to find a genuine one for £83 delivered from a dealer in france, so I've gone for that. £23 difference is not worth the gamble to me, however if I'd not found one less than say £100 it'd have been a different story. I don't mind paying a bit extra for the proper thing, but I also don't like having my pants pulled down so to speak...

Last edited:
Reactions: Biggle
I fly aftermarket batteries, and I have been happy with them. But I did crash a P3P because of a aftermarket battery failure in flight. But I had a DJI battery go bad on me too.:cool:

It's like with anything else, any manufacturers item is prone to failure at some point. You just have to have an idea when lol

Yes -- a few bad reviews sometimes turns people into skeptics ;)

If you're worried about it, spend $3 more and get it from this authorized DJI dealer.
This is the battery I just bought on 9/5. Tried it out today and it works like a charm. It comes in DJI packaging and certainly does not appear bootleg...and when I just now looked it was only $102.99...Dang I could have saved a PENNY! :)

It's one thing that the batteries don't last long, but when they actually BLOCK the use of other brands it feels deliberate to force us to buy more overpriced batteries.

The more I get to know DJI and my product the more I feel like I bought an Apple product - and the more likely I am to buy a different brand rather than upgrade later.

I don't really get the whole idea of this "intelligent" battery - why not just make a smarter drone that can figure out the battery for itself? Less profit margin I guess : /

Reactions: Digdat0
It's a good comparison to Apple, err's on the side of caution, won't let you do anything wrong, overpriced, and controlled lol! Good for the beginner like me, but restrictive too.
I doubt my next one if and when i buy one will be dji unless they stop doing stuff like this. Would love an inspire, but wouldn't buy one while they control what batteries you use and where you fly.

Reactions: Biggle
Well my next drone will be compact, weatherproof and able to withstand a knock or two. None of those things applies to current DJI models.

Tomorrow I'm joining a bunch of fellow scrambler bikers for a cross border run, probably the biggest event of the year. A perfect opportunity to get a bird's eye view of 100 or so dirt bikes heading across Borneo - but there's no way I'm lugging a big fat case with a Phantom in it. It's just too delicate and far too bulky.

To me they really missed the ball with the P4, by keeping the same bulky form factor. If they made it so when removing the battery you could fold the camera and gimbal safely inside the body, while folding the legs..? But nope,

Gopro are supposed to be releasing a drone by Christmas, which I'm guessing will be more suitable for me. I have zero loyalty towards DJI and nothing they are doing is helping that situation.

Wouldn't surprise me though if gopro end up constraining their system too though, as it's bound to be bought by the masses due to the name, and they won't want bad press from folk flying it irresponsibly..

I'd almost welcome a degree of constraint, if it means regulators will leave us alone.

Just today I was reading that the entire nation of New Zealand is now a no-fly zone, unless you have "permission from the land owner and everybody you fly over", which is the same as saying "You can't fly anywhere except your own property - and not even then, if there's someone on it you haven't asked permission from."

Right here I also read someone asking "Well if I can't fly more than 400 ft up, how come my drone lets me?"

*rolls eyes*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan