Mp4 or Mov? 25fps or 50fps??

I would love to post examples but my internet is so bad I can't even watch YouTube most of the time.
I invested in satellite internet. 24mb down and 6mb up. Worked great for 3 months but they oversold it. Fair usage policy kicks in if you use over 50 GB in a month. These days that is nothing. Once you go over your limit speed drops to 600k yes really what a scam!

I haven't seen your samples, so can't be sure, but this sounds unlikely.
The file storage in .mov and .mp4 is identical. The files are just in a different container.
Could what you observe be due to individual issues with different files rather than the file format?
To check positively you would need to compare identical videos shot in both formats.

I have also noticed a slight quality improvement when using MOV, also my video editing software seems to handle MOV out of the P3 better than MP4 even though its on a Windows platform. With that being said, I went back to MP4 anyway, my customers don't notice the slight difference in quality and transcoding from MOV to MP4 required an additional post processing step that added time without customer noticeable quality improvements. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is a P3 firmware issue. Logically MOV and MP4 from the P3 should be identical, but based on my testing this is definitely not the case.

As far as 24FPS vs 30FPS, I always use 30FPS unless I want to add slow motion effects at which point I use 60FPS. I primarily film real estate and construction sites; I spent about a week straight testing 24 vs 30FPS and found 24FPS to have unacceptable stutter regardless of what shutter speed I used.

In my testing, 24FPS vs 30FPS did not result in a major file size difference. The main way I reduce file size is to decrease the bitrate to the minimum bitrate possible without inducing compression artifacts in the final footage. I can usually get down to 5kbs for slow construction flights and 10-15kbs for houses.

I have also noticed a slight quality improvement when using MOV, also my video editing software seems to handle MOV out of the P3 better than MP4 even though its on a Windows platform. With that being said, I went back to MP4 anyway, my customers don't notice the slight difference in quality and transcoding from MOV to MP4 required an additional post processing step that added time without customer noticeable quality improvements. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is a P3 firmware issue. Logically MOV and MP4 from the P3 should be identical, but based on my testing this is definitely not the case.

As far as 24FPS vs 30FPS, I always use 30FPS unless I want to add slow motion effects at which point I use 60FPS. I primarily film real estate and construction sites; I spent about a week straight testing 24 vs 30FPS and found 24FPS to have unacceptable stutter regardless of what shutter speed I used.

In my testing, 24FPS vs 30FPS did not result in a major file size difference. The main way I reduce file size is to decrease the bitrate to the minimum bitrate possible without inducing compression artifacts in the final footage. I can usually get down to 5kbs for slow construction flights and 10-15kbs for houses.

Hi, Wondering what software in Windows you're using for your video editing/compression. Thanks.

I use Corel Video Studio X8.5. I tried quite a few NLEs and for the Windows platform Corel beat out the usual big names such as Sony Vegas Pro.

I think DJI mov and mp4 use the same exact video codec so the quality is the same, right?? (The ONLY difference I have found is that the file time seems to be correct with mp4 while with mov it is off some hours +depending whether daylight savings time is in effect. So even as a Mac person I set DJI to use mp4 because the file time seems to be correct and in line with dng file times).

Nowadays people usually choose 25/50 fps or 30/60 fps or some multiple of those. As an European PAL user I default to 25 fps base while American NTSC users might use 29.97 fps (exactly 60 / 1.001 / 2 but I digress...). ...24/23.976 fps has the stuttery "film" look but I digress... Anyways: those ancient television frame rates do not matter so much anymore when the footage is watched on a progressive computer monitor.

So: capture with the max fps and resolution you can afford and convert that to the delivery format you like.

Personally I now capture DJI footage at 25fps. I capture at 4K so I can crop and set the horizon straight (...I have done the IMU calibration below 0°C twice...). I edit in Final Cut Pro. Export HD 1920x1080 at 5/10 Mbps H.264 (long footage with chapters).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1