MP4 File Size

Reaction score
Anyone having problems opening MP4 files that are larger than 1GB? All files smaller seem to work fine.

No problems at all, I often have 1.4gb files after flying for about 15 mins and then chop the videos down. What player are you using and what are your computers specs? My basic laptop has no problem playing them but my much smaller older notebook has a hard time with 1080p. Another thing, are you shooting in 1080 60fps? A lot of players have issues playing videos in that format, try shooting in 1080 30fps, it should play them no problem.

Thanks Mal,

I don' think it is my computer as it has plenty of capacity. I can open other MP4 files that go over 1GB and do so using Windows Media Player. However when I get a file from the DJI that is over 1GB it will not recognize the format. I have tried to open it in a couple of different video software but none recognize. I will try lowering the fps as you suggested. Not sure what it is now I just pulled the DJI out of the box and started using.

See attached jpeg of computer specs. This should be fine right? Never had any issues opening anything other than the DJI 1GB+ file

Attachments

• Comp.jpg
    Comp.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 372
Yeah it should be more than fine. Did you check if the video was taken in 1080 30fps or 60fps?

Depending on what video card you have it will create an issue with the native dji files. Movieplayer/maker will usually open them fine but once you get into Premiere/Vegas etc...the playback is glitchy and slow. This is even worse when applying effects to the video as the software tries to apply them on the fly before rendering the video. I shoot in 720@60FPS and use adobe encoder to change the dji native video to DNX 220X 720P 59.94 which is a 1280x720 size. I dont have a high end video card and am using the Intel 4400 graphics driver and the above mentioned format works great. No glitching or stuttering. I also make sure I restart my computer before encoding and before going into video editing, then save and restart before exporting my videos to whichever format I will be using based on web/tv viewing.

robercom said:
Anyone having problems opening MP4 files that are larger than 1GB? All files smaller seem to work fine.

Exactly what errors are you getting and from what tool?

Are you stopping the video with the app? If you start the video, then stop it by turning off the battery it will not finish writing the video to the card.. The size will be there, but the file is unplayable... Make sure you stop the video in the app....

HD files are pretty heavy to play and edit but to speak generally you need a pretty hi specs, healthy computer to stay out of concern with those files. There are not such "dodgy"MP4, and compressing them before editing is a work around, but is not a lossless operation. Consider improving amount of RAM, and get a decent graphic card, and a multicore fast processor.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj