mp4 codac

Reaction score
My Windows media player installed on my desktop does not recognize the MP4 file extension. I tried finding the CODEC online but all I found were files full of spyware and virus's? Any ideas of a clean easy to get source?

Vlc will play any file, I've been using it for years and I've never found a video format it couldn't play.

Sounds like there could be a problem with your pc? Won't play mp4 files or let you install Vlc?

Last edited:
First, let me get this out of the way, NEVER install a "Codec Pack" on a PC that does video editing. Codec Packs are generally designed for gamers for best playback and may inadvertently replace the otherwise excellent encoding codecs your editing program uses.

There is no MP4 codec. MP4 is simply the container and it can hold any audio or video media created by a variety of codecs. To determine what codec created the video in your MP4 file, download and run the free program MediaInfo. I would not be surprised to find that you are missing the Quicktime codec on your PC

VLC Media Player is the best player of all. It's free and will play just about anything you throw at it. VLC does not depend on installed codecs because it has its own decoder software built in.

Free codecs which will decode MP4 files: Streamclip, Quick Time 7.7.6 and VLC.

MP4 is basically an H.264 wrapper which is pretty universal. Something must have happened with your PC to lose that capability. VLC. It's everything Windows Media Player isn't and a whole lot more.

MJF739B just in case you didn't get the drift of where this thread is going. It is three letters and you wont regret it :D
V L C

I have an interesting result with VLC. I have a card with two flights worth of recordings. It's the original SanDisk 4GB card that came with the bird.
One file - about 15 minutes long, plays perfectly in all my players....the second, half as long, doesn't. I get error messages from every player, including VLC.
What do you think is going on with that?

Could be the second one wasn't closed properly. Put the card back in the cam and turn it on. It should repair it.

Could be the second one wasn't closed properly. Put the card back in the cam and turn it on. It should repair it.
@ianwood , THANKS!
You hit the nail on the head. Bonus points if you can tell me how I screwed that up!?
The only difference between the two was a new battery for the second flight, but it flew perfectly, no problems at all.:confused:

When I click on the install file absolutely nothing happens. VLC installed on my other desktop computer perfectly.

That's the same one I downloaded earlier. It's not a big deal. This computer plays the video's in WMP anyway. My initial post pertained to the upstairs PC. That one runs VLC flawlessly. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
You didn't press stop recording before you turned the battery off

You're probably right on that one...the sun was blinding me that morning and the phone was very hard to see, even with a shade over it. My wife had to come over and confirm the satellites for me - I couldn't quite make it out with the blue on black.
I "thought" I'd hit the camera button, but I guess not...Thanks!

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20