Moving the Phantom during initiation phase

Reaction score
After you have attached the battery to your Phantom it goes through the initiation phase (or what ever it is called). Closing the hatch in Phantom 1 might cause movement to the Phantom itself. After you have attached the battery, should you wait for some time before you start closing the hatch / or doing stuff that will cause movement to the Phantom. Is it okay to change the location or heading/rotation of the Phantom after it has initialized.

Miika said:
After you have attached the battery to your Phantom it goes through the initiation phase (or what ever it is called). Closing the hatch in Phantom 1 might cause movement to the Phantom itself. After you have attached the battery, should you wait for some time before you start closing the hatch / or doing stuff that will cause movement to the Phantom. Is it okay to change the location or heading/rotation of the Phantom after it has initialized.

I have a gimbal that takes 5 seconds to initialize, so I power up the Phantom, let the gimbal level out, and then tuck in the battery wires and close the door. I try not to move the craft while doing so, so it has a stable and steady compass reading to record course lock direction (the first set of rapidfire green flashes 30 seconds after bootup).

After course lock is recorded, you can relocate it as you wish before arming the motors. Note that your course lock heading will be different if you turn the craft after it is recorded.

Occasionally when I don't have a dry or clean enough surface to launch from I will hold it in my hands during initiation. Although I'm trying to keep it still there is definitely minor movement. I've never had a problem with this method so I don't see closing the battery hatch causing any problems.

derrickduff said:
Occasionally when I don't have a dry or clean enough surface to launch from I will hold it in my hands during initiation. Although I'm trying to keep it still there is definitely minor movement. I've never had a problem with this method so I don't see closing the battery hatch causing any problems.

This brings up a good point - if you're CONSTANTLY moving (like on a moving boat), you may have a situation where the Phantom refuses to complete initialization. Most people say your only real solution is to handhold and try to keep it still. I haven't run into this situation myself (no launches on boats) but I've heard of it happening.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.