Moving the compass cable?

Happyflyer said:
That just may be the difference: P2V and a P2V+

So if that is the case, why do they sell the newer static shielded compass in two varieties, one for the P2V+ and one for the P2V which both have the same length of cable? The only difference is a slight difference in leg height. It would seem if you have an earlier version of the PV2 (just by chance) which I purchased in June 2014, that it's not possible to upgrade to the static shielded compass. If this is the case, it's another example of DJI f**king over their customers, as there are no notices about it anywhere, and means I've wasted my money on a useless item. :x

Electric Warrior said:
My P2V which I purchased in June 2014, has the grey compass cable plugged into the GPS unit in the top shell. I have recently bought the newer compass that is supposedly static shielded and it has a much shorter shielded cable. Going by what has been posted in some of the above replies, would it be ok to plug the compass directly into the main board? The cable doesn't seem like it would be long enough to reach the GPS unit. :?
Above is your earlier post. I am almost starting to think the new static shielded compass just may need the entire GPS unit also changed. Maybe not. It sure would help if we had a pro jump in and advise about this.
I do know of someone that has the new compass and their GPS is one without any connector for the compass to GPS module.
In your case, I would hook up the new compass to the main board, go outside without rotors on, fire up everything and see if you get satellites. That just may tell you that the GPS module also needs to be changed. They are expensive. If so, that would be a nasty done by DJI.

Let me further clarify or confuse ;) ...

I have a P2(nv) bought in mid '14 and my compass goes directly to the main board not the GPS board.

Let me further clarify or confuse ;) ...

I have a P2(nv) bought in mid '14 and my compass goes directly to the main board not the GPS board.

How about just for snits and giggles sake further clarifying or confusing things for us inquiring minds. Did the gps unit have the bare plug connector on it still tho or was it one with just the unused contacts were that plug is on the ones that have them?

OK JJ, no problem.

My GPS board does not have the connector for the compass thus I just have the unused contacs.

By my estimation that's: 1.75-snits, and 2.3-giggles :lol: .

Cheers! Hope this helps ;)

Thanks to all of those who have responded to this thread, some helpful suggestions, especially dirkclod for getting in touch with Eric. I have written an email to DJI support with model type, serial no. and Date Code to confirm what I will need to do, although I suspect the answer will be the need for a new GPS module if I want to go with the static shield compass. If that is the case, it's too expensive so I'll stick with the original open compass. Just wanted to upgrade to a V3 and I've already done the motors, ESC's (v2.1) and props. Received my Flytrex Live 3G 2 days ago, and was waiting for a definitive answer on the compass, to save me keep opening the shell.

OK JJ, no problem.

My GPS board does not have the connector for the compass thus I just have the unused contacs.

By my estimation that's: 1.75-snits, and 2.3-giggles :lol: .

Cheers! Hope this helps ;)

Thanks tho it dont help a lot it does help a little on trying to figure out if its some thing in the puke or the main board that causes the ones with the compass plug on the puke to not work if the compass is plugged in to the main board.

Now if i ever run in to one of the ones with out the compass plug on it I'll have to try and see if it will still work as long as the compass is plugged in to the main board.

If you do get the new GPS puck go ahead and add the new antenna to it as Happyflier did and I am going to add to mine . The change from the P2V over to V3 really made a difference in the way it fly's or did for mine !

One of my spare gps that had a cracked antenna I put one of the 4dbi antennas on it. When I plugged it in to see if that fixed it. I get 6 sats right away and that was inside my house and didnt even have the gray shielding tape over it either. . I usually dont even get 1 or 2 sats with the thin 2dbi ones even if its sitting for a long time. The thicker ones also are not as easy to break that pcs of ceramic when I tried to break one just to see if it snapped as easy as the thin stock ones do. So it would seem they also should hold up in a crash better then the thin stock ones do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers