Moving the compass cable?

Reaction score
A question or two, maybe more, about where all the wires go to. My P2V has two sets of wires coming from the GPS module in the top of the shell. One goes to the compass on the leg and the other one goes to a connector on the main board. I have found out that some have the same wire from the GPS module to the main board, but the wire from the compass goes directly to the main board next to the GPS cable connector. There is even a connector on the board that says "comp."
Question would be can you remove the compass cable from the GPS module in the shell and move it to the connector that says "comp" on the main board? Or is there something that would make this move not work?

Attachments

• Comp Move.jpg
    Comp Move.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,152
Happyflyer said:
A question or two, maybe more, about where all the wires go to. My P2V has two sets of wires coming from the GPS module in the top of the shell. One goes to the compass on the leg and the other one goes to a connector on the main board. I have found out that some have the same wire from the GPS module to the main board, but the wire from the compass goes directly to the main board next to the GPS cable connector. There is even a connector on the board that says "comp."
Question would be can you remove the compass cable from the GPS module in the shell and move it to the connector that says "comp" on the main board? Or is there something that would make this move not work?

I have a P2, and I dont recognise this. I have a single cable coming from the GPS which goes to the GPS socket on the main board, and a compass on the leg whose cable goes to the compass socket on the main board. I am confused :?

Iirc, the Phantom 1 has both GPS and compass in the shell.
All Phantom 2's have the compass on one of the legs and GPS in the top shell.
There should only be one 4-wire harness from the top shell (red, black, orange, yellow), black connector.

Hughie said:
Happyflyer said:

I have a P2, and I dont recognise this. I have a single cable coming from the GPS which goes to the GPS socket on the main board, and a compass on the leg whose cable goes to the compass socket on the main board. I am confused :?
p

Ditto

On my phantom 2 vision It has the compass wire going up to the gps unit in the top of the shell then back down threw the red and orange gps wire. But on my FC40 the compass was originally plugged straight in to the board. But I now have it plugged in to the gps in the top of the shell being thats how it seems to be on others and it works.

On my p2v I have tried plugging the gray cable in to the spot on the main board for testing if a compass worked or if my gps was not working and not passing the compass info threw and it seems to work tho I never fly it that way. But from checking out the circuits in the board the compass connecter and the spot for the gps are connected to each other. So it "should" not make a difference. But I have never really figured out or understood why they have it so it can go in either way.

But if you got the shell open theres one good way to find out if it works for you by plugging it directly in to the board or not. plug it in and then look in the naza assistant and make sure you can see your gps and that you can see the compass mod values.

Hughie said:
This is a P2V. As can be seen in the picture the gray 5 wire cable, on the left, comes from the GPS in top, down to the compass on the leg. The other colored wire, on the right, is from GPS to the black connector on the main board. That is how is was the first time I opened the quad. Purchased in late April 2014. What is it? A version P2V-3/4? Or were they made this way at one time? Must have been.

Attachments

• GPS top.JPG
    GPS top.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 978
My P2V which I purchased in June 2014, has the grey compass cable plugged into the GPS unit in the top shell. I have recently bought the newer compass that is supposedly static shielded and it has a much shorter shielded cable. Going by what has been posted in some of the above replies, would it be ok to plug the compass directly into the main board? The cable doesn't seem like it would be long enough to reach the GPS unit. :?

It should work either way. If you have any doubts, just run the Phantom Assistant software, select the screen that shows the compass output, and see the outputs change as you turn the Phantom around.

Note that all P1's and FC40's have the compass plugged through the GPS unit, while all (later) P2's and up have the compass plugged directly into the main board. It looks like there was a transition period where some early P2's were configured like the P1's in this regard.

Edit: It doesn't work either way. If your GPS is firmware version 6.0.1.3, you need to plug the compass into it for it to work.
If your GPS is firmware version 6.0.1.4, it probably doesn't have a compass plug on it, and the compass must be plugged directly into the main board.

Happyflyer said:
Hughie said:
This is a P2V. As can be seen in the picture the gray 5 wire cable, on the left, comes from the GPS in top, down to the compass on the leg. The other colored wire, on the right, is from GPS to the black connector on the main board. That is how is was the first time I opened the quad. Purchased in late April 2014. What is it? A version P2V-3/4? Or were they made this way at one time? Must have been.

Are you saying it came with the aluminum foil??

I found time today to see what would happen if I moved the 5 wire from the GPS module to the main board. Well, after moving and checking with the assistant software, everything looked OK. So I took quad out on the deck to check satellites. AH! Now we have a problem, no satellites after 8 minutes of waiting. So moving my wire to the board killed satellite reception.
I went back inside and put the wire back where it came from. Conneted to the GPS unit. Back outside and fired up quad. By the time I got back in the house to check tablet, there were already 7 satellites. So mine has to be connected to the GPS module. Below are pictures of my GPS and the one Dirk has. In the second picture you can see the arrow points to where the circuit board has a place for the connector, just no connector. That is Dirk's. Mine is the first picture with the connector.
I wanted to move this because with that cable "locked" at both ends it makes the top of the shell always in the way when working on the quad.
The picture of my top that showed the tin foil in place was my work. It was just showing where my cables came from. Clears confusion, I hope.

Attachments

• Dirks GPS.jpg
    Dirks GPS.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 726
  • My GPS Module.JPG
    My GPS Module.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,423
Electric Warrior said:
My P2V which I purchased in June 2014, has the grey compass cable plugged into the GPS unit in the top shell. I have recently bought the newer compass that is supposedly static shielded and it has a much shorter shielded cable. Going by what has been posted in some of the above replies, would it be ok to plug the compass directly into the main board? The cable doesn't seem like it would be long enough to reach the GPS unit. :?
Unless you also changed the GPS module, you may discover the new compass works but you don't have any satellites. Appears that my GPS module is "looking" for a connection of that gray compass cable and when not found I get no satellites.

Looks like that should do the job.

Happyflyer said:
Unless you also changed the GPS module, you may discover the new compass works but you don't have any satellites. Appears that my GPS module is "looking" for a connection of that gray compass cable and when not found I get no satellites.
What firmware version is your GPS?

CityZen said:
Hardware > 6.1.1.2
Firmware > 6.0.1.3

CityZen said:

Mine is the same as HappyFlyers:

Hardware > 6.1.1.2
Firmware > 6.0.1.3

CityZen said:
I wonder if using firmware 6.0.1.4 makes a difference?
I would think it would show there was a higher number firmware, but it did not when in the assistant.
Where did you dig that one up?

hummm I also wonder if useing an older firmware would let a gps from before they went to the compass plug on the puck will work with a compass plugged in to the board?

Im also thinking its odd that with a gps plugged in with the compass plugged in to the board that the naza will show the gps as being there and show the compass working but not pick up any sats outside.

Happyflyer said:
CityZen said:
I would think it would show there was a higher number firmware, but it did not when in the assistant.
Where did you dig that one up?
It's what my P2V+ has. As well if you do image searches for "phantom assistant firmware" it'll show up there too.

CityZen said:
It's what my P2V+ has. As well if you do image searches for "phantom assistant firmware" it'll show up there too.[/quote]
That just may be the difference: P2V and a P2V+

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj