Moving FC40 Electronics to New Body

Reaction score
Been flying the FC40 for a while now, but will (hopefully) soon receive a kickstarter backed quad to take the phantom's place for video making. My first thought besides selling the FC40 was moving the board and ESCs to a new body, specifically one designed for racing/aerobatics. Looking at something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _kit_.html . Anyone have experience with this? It seems with the NAZA software it would be possible (although I assume I would need higher RPM motors and shorter props), but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance!

T.C.

Sure can :) The catch is you'll have to either bring the Phantom's mainboard along with everything else, or buy the PMU separately to power the NAZA (which is the more elegant solution obviously).

Mounting the Phantom's ESC's and GPS/compass can get tricky on a non-Phantom platform, but plenty of others have done it! The NAZA in your FC40 can be tweaked just like a retail NAZA v2 so it can handle a wide range of multirotor configurations.

OI Photography said:
Mounting the Phantom's ESC's and GPS/compass can get tricky on a non-Phantom platform, but plenty of others have done it!
Do you possibly have any links to such conversions? :) I'm really thinking of moving that way adding two stock motors and ESCs to increase lifting ability... the FC40 came up wanting after mounting a Feiyu-Tech 3 axis gimbal...

I don't have have any links handy for you I'm afraid. Have you tried just using P2 props and a bigger batt before going through all that trouble and expense?

OI Photography said:
I don't have have any links handy for you I'm afraid. Have you tried just using P2 props and a bigger batt before going through all that trouble and expense?
:) I have tried using P2 props but they are way less accurate i.m.o. - the craft woblles when descending and is much more noisy and while the noise itself doesn't bother me I think those blades flex in flight. Maybe it's my imagination but with the 8" stock FC40 props that craft is solid.
On running extra batteries: I mounted them like in the picture and had a good 4 minute flight but when I tried descending the craft went into a pendulum swing and landed up in a tree - thank heavens... otherwise there would've been more damage than just a busted 9" prop... Lesson learnt: Need to keep the weight centralised in the Phantom :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.