MOUNTN FLYERS - VERY CRITICAL QUESTION

Reaction score
I have been searching for an answer for this, but no luck yet.
1. If I set my home point in the valley at 500' - then fly up the side of a mountain, will the Phantom 3 Standard maintain the 500' elevation over ground, or will it fly into the mountain?
In other words, is elevation you lock in related to your home point, or to the ground where the Phantom is at the time?

If your bird says it's at 500 feet, that's the elevation from your takeoff point. It has no idea what its current AGL elevation is.

Yesterday I was flying at 530' above my home point, videoing a cliff face. I could have easily have flown into it. This is why Litchi is so-challenging on setting up a waypoint mission in my neck of the hills.

S

How about when we use the follow me mode. Will it fly into a mountain also, or will it maintain a set distance above me? If it does not maintain a set distance above the controller, then it is useless unless I'm on flat ground.

How about when we use the follow me mode. Will it fly into a mountain also, or will it maintain a set distance above me? If it does not maintain a set distance above the controller, then it is useless unless I'm on flat ground.

Bill:

Good question. I have not flown in that mode.

And I've seen that icon of yours on another forum! We've chatted about 'drops and aluminum.

S

Yup.. Unfortunately crash avoidance not yet available.

Bill:

Good question. I have not flown in that mode.

And I've seen that icon of yours on another forum! We've chatted about 'drops and aluminum.

S
I think I remember you from another site.

In follow me mode, the system knows the pilot's GPS location but GPS assumes a surface location. There is no GPS location for height. So yeah, it'll fly right into that mountain.

As I thought. I'm glad I know now. We have a 5000' elevation climb within just a few miles of me. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers