Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Mounting Trackimo on UAV BITS P3 Camera Guard?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by pterrill, May 26, 2015.

1. pterrill

I just got my UAV Bits P3 Camera Guard and my Trackimo today and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on mounting the Trackimo to the Camera Guard. Should I use the Gel Sleeve or just use the Velcro on the back of the unit to a piece of velcro on the Camera Guard. I've had pretty good luck using just Velcro on my Flytrex Live on my P2V+ but that was a larger surface. I could use the Gel Sleeve with plastic ties but that wouldn't be a clean of installation. Any thoughts?

2. Willie Swyer

I' ve had my trackimo for a couple of weeks now but only received my P3P yesterday. First flights were scary but it helped to have a backup locater.
    I used 1 " Velcro linking the two lateral legs together allowing a pocket to place the Trackimo in. The inside of this pocket allows for the Velcro on the device to add-hear easily. For balance I added a 2nd piece on the opposite legs.
    image.jpg

3. Werewolf

Doesn't this kind of placement unbalance the bird?

4. Willie Swyer

It appeared to be quite stable in hover. I flew in the beginner mode and am satisfied that the 2nd Velcro balances it enough. The weight is really quite minimal and very secure. I was really surprised at how heavy the P3 is. I'm confident that dji has compensated for a few ounces more weight.
    Not to say that I wasn't nervous when I unlocked some restrictions and went for more height but minimal distance. image.jpg

5. VoicOfReason

Nice job. I thought about mounting my GPS tracker that way, too. Is it solid or will it fall of in a crash?

6. Willie Swyer

My thought is if it crashes both items will be very close by. It definitely won't fall out in flight. The extra velcro in the middle squeezes the Trackimo snuggly into a pocket and the top cover piece makes it even more secure. This particular velcro holds to itself very strongly. I got it from our disposables used for the heart-lung machine. They are thrown out so I saved a bunch for moments like this.:)